Statement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Strawberry
I am wondering if the small difference you are seeing is due to the fact that the non-aquariumlowcost light is a year plus old?
Also anyone can stamp CE on their product, its a self regulatory thing, unlike UL or CSA certification.
It could be! I am going to do another video with the newer Noopsyche as well, and show pictures of all three to compare the differences. I didn’t even consider that until near the end of the video when I started noticing considerable differences in the overall look of the board. I am going to do an alcohol scrub test on more expensive components to make sure that the markings hold up to CE standards to make sure they are legitimate. Also, I have had to do a ton of research because you’d be surprised how difficult it can be to notice counterfeit PCB components. I didn’t want to throw out all the time I had in the video for the Noopsyche from NoopsycheUSA being 1 year older, so I’m just going to try to show how the product has changed in the newer US version.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Strawberry
I am wondering if the small difference you are seeing is due to the fact that the non-aquariumlowcost light is a year plus old?
Also anyone can stamp CE on their product, its a self regulatory thing, unlike UL or CSA certification.
Also, I believe that the CE on the product may just be for the fan, not the entire product. I removed the original stickers because I didn’t want anyone to claim my product serial numbers, but I will make sure that they were up to CE standards as well. I will do a little more reading to see what types of products can be certified by the manufacturer themself, to see if the light falls into a category that may exempt it from a more thorough third party inspection. That’s very insightful of you to bring up, and I don’t want to give the impression that I did not consider that! :) I am still trying to decide how I will bring all of the most relevant information together and did not mean for referencing the product as CE certified to seem biased, which I now realize it is. I appreciate your feedback!

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CE can be stamped after a self regulation (we all know how good we are at SELF regulation). Only in the EU will the manufacturer be responsible if a customer brings a claim. Although that wouldn't be possible as no one can track anyone down....

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CE can be stamped after a self regulation (we all know how good we are at SELF regulation). Only in the EU will the manufacturer be responsible if a customer brings a claim. Although that wouldn't be possible as no one can track anyone down....
For what it’s worth, both the American version and the Chinese version have the same “certification”, but I do see your point. The power supplies, however, are CE, CCC, and UL certified for both the American and the Chinese version. This part is very important to make sure it’s safe because it’s responsible for transforming our wall outlet voltage from 120VAC to 24VDC. Overall, I think that any internal differences as far as certification would not be a hazard, but possibly would cause the light to not last as long due to inadequate amperage regulation which will cause the LEDs to burn out early.

ph123uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why everyone thinks these are counterfeit, they obviously aren't, but you buy from America, you get charged American prices, do you not think the chaps on here that have gone into partnership with Noop get a cut? that they do it all for free? - They are adding on "hobby level" Postage (i.e not a big companies ability to get packages delivery for $4), import duty, their own cut - It all adds up. They are the same light, maybe one older than the other - but they certainly arent "knock offs"

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got them both free?

it would be interesting to cross check the serial number of the one they send to see if it’s a legit Chinese sale version, or if they sent you an American market version and said it was one of their ‘knockoffs’

As far as I know, American sale versions have a particular number code in the serial number that can be used to id intended market region.

since they sent it free, I’m pretty sure they are cognizant that your doing a comparison that, if it turns out they are truly the same, will gain them sales. Itshouldn’t be unexpected that they would try to game the system
Wow, that’s something I didn’t even consider. I don’t want to step on the toes of either company, so I’m not sure how to use the serial number to find out which version the light is. I’d be really embarrassed to have a positive comparison of both lights, only to find that the one sent to me was the “American” version. I’m sure there are knock offs out there, and it can be really hard to tell the difference. I just want to shed some light on the things I can rule out for sure, without making it about who is “legit” or whatever. All I can do is give a non biased comparison of internal components based off the information I have.

i just wanted to reiterate what may be a salient point.

They aren’t stupid, and gaming the review like that by supplying a genuine version Instead of a low cost version would up their sales considerably

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything coming out of a communist country is usually garbage in my eyes. They have done a lot of this crap, even with jackets for veterans! They advertise as a American business and 2 months later the package arrives from China.

I refuse to buy anything made or shipped out of that country. But, that's me, what others do is up to them.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything coming out of a communist country is usually garbage in my eyes. They have done a lot of this crap, even with jackets for veterans! They advertise as a American business and 2 months later the package arrives from China.

I refuse to buy anything made or shipped out of that country. But, that's me, what others do is up to them.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So you don’t own noopsyche lights? The ones sold by official US resellers are made in China.
I’d you don’t own any, and have no plans to buy any- why are you here making a borderline offensive political post?

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you don’t own noopsyche lights? The ones sold by official US resellers are made in China.
I’d you don’t own any, and have no plans to buy any- why are you here making a borderline offensive political post?
No I don't, and I didn't mean to make any borderline political statement. I just refuse to buy anything from a country I don't agree with. But I am grateful for the heads-up about the product. I also refuse to pay high prices for any product that has a cheaper option.

Huynh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is it’s a battle between two companies that both sell the same product. To me it’s divided for the reason some people just don’t want to buy it from another country they have options to buy the same thing from a US company. Truth be told why does it matter most of our electronics components are being imported. That’s the life we live. That’s why a lot of the good stuff is out of stock it’s not available for import. So that’s just my two cents on the subject either way great affordable lights be awesome if there was an app

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saying It's a communist Country is not political it's the Truth

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is usually garbage in my eyes

This is the part that moves it over the line from Technically politically correct into a personal opinion that borders on inappropriate.
He isn’t buying these lights, he doesn’t own these lights, but somehow he’s hanging out here disparaging the country that makes the lights.

Just pointing out a fact.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't, and I didn't mean to make any borderline political statement. I just refuse to buy anything from a country I don't agree with. But I am grateful for the heads-up about the product. I also refuse to pay high prices for any product that has a cheaper option.

LOL
step 1: go around your home, and flip some packages over,
Step 2: read the "made in" label,
Step 3: holy "garbage" batman you are a communist!

Surprise Surprise, everything from iphones to God knows what else is made in China.

Ronnyking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive this old thread. Did anybody take detailed photo's of the pcb in the light itself? Interested in which microprocessor they use to see if I can hack one into taking external pwm from a microcontroller to enable wifi capabilities.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back