Stbobo's 65G LED Lit Mixed Reef

Stbobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this set up running for almost a year now after upgrading from a biocube29. Anticipated the switch to a larger tank, letting me use all of the same equipment from before and it seems to be working well. Input is welcomed!

As of now I'm running Reef Octopus NWB-110 skimmer in a 30x12x13 sump held under the 65 gallon display. Mag 9.5 used as the return pump being topped off by a Aqua Lifter. A BRS dual carbon and GFO reactor. 48 Cree LEDs (cool white, royal blue and 6 rebel cyan)  are dimmed in and out by a Reefkeeper Lite w/ ALC. In the market for a mp10 or 40 but flow has been decent with 2 koralia 750's and a 550.

7-10 gallon water change weekly from a 4 stage rodi via bulkreefsupply with dosing handled with BRS 2 part.

First acro
6.jpg

Older picture of sump
IMG_0049.jpg

Taken in July, 2012
5.jpg

Light "Hood" with single 24 LED heatsink
IMG_1458.jpg

New LED's

L
ED's to be added soon!

OP
OP
S

Stbobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: The cyano seen in the last tank shot is gone.. however I got worms. Flatworms..
Have been researching and am going to give FWE a try. Praying it doesn't crash this tank. Considering taking corals out and holding them while the FWE does its work.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: The cyano seen in the last tank shot is gone.. however I got worms. Flatworms..
Have been researching and am going to give FWE a try. Praying it doesn't crash this tank. Considering taking corals out and holding them while the FWE does its work.

Welcome to the site!

You should be fine with FWE, I've never had any issues. Just make sure you do a large WC and run some carbon after. The sooner you do it the better as the more you have, the more toxins that will be released from them when they die.

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. I think there are some wrasse's that will take out your flat worms. Have you thought about this instead of using chemicals? If you do decide to dose the tank with FWE follow the directions to the "T"..

OP
OP
S

Stbobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Was looking all over for different remedies including the nudibranch, wrasse, and blenny routes but thought FWE might cure the problem sooner for me. Went to the store to pick some up (but they were out) and what do you know.. a beautiful white belly coris wrasse was continually picking at the rocks. Have plans to remove the yellow tang soon and wanted to replace with a coris. Lets hope it has a big appetite!

IMG_1506.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool tank! Well done!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
S

Stbobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the feedback! Well it's been about a day now and the coris hasn't even looked twice at a flatworm haha. Looks like FWE will probably be the route I go with. I do have quite a few of them crawling around and wanted to see what others thought about taking the sps out? Holding in a 5 gallon bucket while I medicate/eradicate :bigsmile: Want as little risk as possible in toxin damage

OP
OP
S

Stbobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ended up treating FWE yesterday.. after talk with a couple fellow reefers I just left all of the coral in the tank. Air line suctioned about a hundred out off the rocks and then let the eXit at about 1.5 dose to do its work. Turned on carbon shortly after and it seemed to help with the toxin levels. Everything slimed up pretty solid but is beginning to look more normal today (besides chalice frag) with some polyp extension. As others have said, Flatworm exit works well.

ONLY thing is, I looked in the tank this morning and could see a handful leftover worms hanging on the glass.. nothing remotely near the infestation I had but wanted to be done with this. Debating when/if to treat the system again?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back