Steel Stand 120gal questions

Klx110ripper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers,

I'm getting ready to start my build of my 120. Tank is 4'x2'x2'. I am a fabricator / welder in my former days and really enjoy doing that and i'm good a it.

So my questions are;

What size square tube has everybody used? 1 1/2" or 2"?
Assuming 1/8 wall is good?
Side Panels? ( My thought is to make gussets in the corners, then have panels with magnets to hold sides on. Would look seamless with doors or handles.And i could also remove all 3 sides to work in sump)
rustoleum or powdercoat?

Please post pic's, concerns or just your 2 cents!!

Thanks in advance

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 36x24x20 and the stand is 35mm tubing (about 1 3/8"), I don't know the wall thickness. It's all powdercoated.

My stand has tabs with holes in them, and I use thumbscrews from the inside that go into T-nuts on the back sides of the panels. It's still easy enough to get the panels on and off when I need to, and I didn't want to have to worry about trying to figure out what magnets to get that would be strong enough.

stand-0.jpg

stand-1.jpg

OP
OP
Klx110ripper

Klx110ripper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 36x24x20 and the stand is 35mm tubing (about 1 3/8"), I don't know the wall thickness. It's all powdercoated.

My stand has tabs with holes in them, and I use thumbscrews from the inside that go into T-nuts on the back sides of the panels. It's still easy enough to get the panels on and off when I need to, and I didn't want to have to worry about trying to figure out what magnets to get that would be strong enough.

stand-0.jpg

stand-1.jpg

Nice!!! I really like that idea, looks really clean! That was my concern as well, finding a magnet strong enough

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never seen the tabs like that holding the panels, I like that and seems more secure than magnets even though a little more work to take off. Has far as magnets, many use Earth Magnets to hold panels into place. Can be found on amazon or eBay.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe get some ideas here ;)

OP
OP
Klx110ripper

Klx110ripper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe get some ideas here ;)

This is great!!! thank you

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend powder coating if you have that option as it is a better long term option. Also are you planning on leaving the back open or having a panel? If panel to have fully enclosed I would recommend installing some build in computer fans to help circulate some air. One pulling air in and one pulling air out.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 2" for bottom and sides.
2"×3" for the top with open design.
Coated with Por 15. This stuff is better than powder coat imo.
If you get a scratch you can touch it up. It also completly seals in any rust.
Will one day make some magnetic side panels but I like the open design.
20190324_201248.jpg
20200225_193713.jpg

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I wish I had was a non-structural rail or two running side-to-side up near the top, just under the tank bottom - would be nice to have an attachment point for e.g. hanging pipe or for cord management.

Also highly recommend either DIYing or getting someone to make you an acrylic drip tray that matches the interior footprint, with sides maybe two inches tall - you *will* spill water at some point, and it's nice to have something to keep it contained. (Also makes a good place to put a leak sensor if you have one.)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1.5" 11g square tube. 140g tank. Plenty strong. Had a local fab company weld it up for me.

Powder coated... you're gonna have to sand blast the mill scale off of it anyway. Powder coat company did the sand blast and coated it in gloss black, cost me $100. Easy.

FulTank.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back