Steel stand - square tubing question.

Funkys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i'm planning to build my own aquarium stand, but i have some questions.. I personally don't know how strong the square tubing is.. And most important what size should i use.
So i have made a little 3D model how stand may look. My original plan was to use 4x4CM(1.5x1.5") tubing which is 3mm(1/8") thick. Should i go thicker? Bigger tubing?

My aquarium - 61CM(24") long. 41CM(16") deep. 58CM(23") tall. It's capacity is 120liters(32 gallons). I would prefer the stand to have at least 4x the carry capacity.. Or more..

The thing is, i need the stand to be 115CM(45") tall from ground. Because i will be using the bottom part for "storage". Also i like to have the aquarium higher from the ground. Would prefer eye level.. But 115CM(45") will do. Also i need front/sides empty, no supports there. I can add extra angled braces/support at back if there is need. But i would prefer to have simple 4 "legs". Also i will be connecting everything with M8 or M10 bolts.. Each corner will have 2 bolts holding everything together. If you have a look at the 3D model. In some places there will be even 3 bolts holding everything together per corner. The aquarium itself will be sitting on big thick countertop. (The gray plank.)
I know welding would be much better.. But i don't have a welder and don't know anyone who has. And prefer doing it myself. Drilling, connecting, painting, etc..

Thanks for helping out. Any input is a good input. :)
Stand.png

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The type of steel you are using works great.

2. It’s Not a super heavy tank so the way you designed is honestly overbuilt. Just A top rectangle and a bottom rectangle and then 4 uprights will do you solid. Put a middle brace on the bottom and you‘ll be fine. Then a sheet of wood on top.

I can send you a picture of the stands we have on our big 16 foot by 4 foot coral systems. They Don’t really use that much material. I’ll upload a photo tomorrow when I get into the fish shop.

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The type of steel you are using works great.

2. It’s Not a super heavy tank so the way you designed is honestly overbuilt. Just A top rectangle and a bottom rectangle and then 4 uprights will do you solid. Put a middle brace on the bottom and you‘ll be fine. Then a sheet of wood on top.

I can send you a picture of the stands we have on our big 16 foot by 4 foot coral systems. They Don’t really use that much material. I’ll upload a photo tomorrow when I get into the fish shop.
This is also assuming you are welding this. I’d honestly just have someone weld it if you know someone who knows how to weld.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not bolt it together like you have it in your drawing. Design it so the load is transferred thru the steel and the bolts just old the structure together.

It will not take much to hold your tank and you could probably just reinforce the counter with plywood.

What is the countertop made of?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back