Steel stand tubing size?

b2smoov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading to a 60x24 150 gallon tank in the coming months. I have no issues building a wood stand but I'm considering having a buddy (he's a professional welder) make a steel stand for me. I would like to have a stand without a center brace. I know I can accomplish this with 2x6 top rails if using wood. What size tubing would I need in steel to accomplish this?

Thanks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
B

b2smoov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but doesn't really answer my question.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading to a 60x24 150 gallon tank in the coming months. I have no issues building a wood stand but I'm considering having a buddy (he's a professional welder) make a steel stand for me. I would like to have a stand without a center brace. I know I can accomplish this with 2x6 top rails if using wood. What size tubing would I need in steel to accomplish this?

Thanks.
Is the tank framed? If so all the load goes to the ends regardless of the size of the tubes around the perimeter at the top. This can kinda be demonstrated by looking at the relative stiffness of the wood vs glass panes in a wooden stand - even with something enormous like a 2x12 the wood would take a trivial portion of the load compared to the glass.

Arguably you don’t want intermediate vertical supports in this case as they risk causing your tank to bear loads in a manner it’s not intended to - namely midway along the glass.

The top framing is primarily to hold the vertical posts together.

If you’re going with steel are you planning on bracing or sheathing to provide stability?

cdbias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.
Consider leg levelers. They allow you to wipe spills underneath your tank too.

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically use 1.5x2.0 .120 wall for the top portion of the stand where the tank will sit (2" dimension vertical) and 1.5" square for everything else, .095 or .120 wall. Center bracing is not really required for your 60" span, but add lots of diagonal gussets at the corners for added stability.
You can add a vertical support at the back center of the stand, leaving the front completely open for added piece of mind. This added brace is also convenient for running wires from pumps/probes/etc.

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to piggy-back on this thread, as I have a very similar question. I have looked at the very nice analysis that was done in the mentioned thread in 2011. However, based on those findings, I believe 2x2 to be excessive overkill.
I am getting a 220 gallon, 84x24x24 outside dims. I would like to use 1x1 14 (0.08) or 11(0.12) gauge steel. The 14 is about 30% cheaper than the 11. Below is the plan I thought would work best. I need the front to be mostly open for the sump, it can't go in thru the side. If corner gussets make more sense, I'll do that instead of the long diagonal crossbars in the back.
1683058460362.png

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to piggy-back on this thread, as I have a very similar question. I have looked at the very nice analysis that was done in the mentioned thread in 2011. However, based on those findings, I believe 2x2 to be excessive overkill.
I am getting a 220 gallon, 84x24x24 outside dims. I would like to use 1x1 14 (0.08) or 11(0.12) gauge steel. The 14 is about 30% cheaper than the 11. Below is the plan I thought would work best. I need the front to be mostly open for the sump, it can't go in thru the side. If corner gussets make more sense, I'll do that instead of the long diagonal crossbars in the back.
1683058460362.png
I wouldn’t advise 1” tube even at .125 wall… I’d go 2” sq tube myself 1/8” wall… 1” might hold but such a small weld joint and thin wall tends to warp and twist… it would be all racked outta square and cause you more of a head ache than anything.. I build large frames for a living.

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Troylee. Thin wall 1" tube wont be sufficient for a comfortable factor of safety. The tubing itself may be strong, but the joint strength, especially on thin wall material will be questionable. 2" .095 wall would be my minimum suggestion.

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input. Looked into 2x2 1/8 inch, and it just seems like monster overkill. It’s also more than double the cost. 1x2 is a better price, and is coming out as very close to the same strength on the rudimentary calculator I found online.
I keep getting told to ask a structural engineer, but I have no idea how to find one, especially one that willing to do such a simple, tiny, project. Do you all have any advice on that?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input. Looked into 2x2 1/8 inch, and it just seems like monster overkill. It’s also more than double the cost. 1x2 is a better price, and is coming out as very close to the same strength on the rudimentary calculator I found online.
I keep getting told to ask a structural engineer, but I have no idea how to find one, especially one that willing to do such a simple, tiny, project. Do you all have any advice on that?
You’re talking to one lol… I don’t have a degree in it but 30 years of hands on experience.. if you want a piece of mind go with the 2x2 and it will last you a life time… go cheap and it might work it might not… def do not use 1x1 that’s a disaster waiting to happen… 1x2 would be okay but if it were mine I’d use 2x2… you can use them calculators all you want and it’s not so much about the material like I said before 1” sq tube can hold that weight it’s the weld joints “or lack of there of” that’s the problem.

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x2 .120 wall is going to be on the overbuilt side. Consider going down to .095 wall or even .083 to save on cost. Maybe go with .120 wall for the upper perimeter frame that the tank is going to sit on, and .083 wall for everything else, this would be the best of both worlds.

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, well it's great to talk to someone with experience!
What do you think of the design? Is any of that extra bracing necessary with such heavy-duty steel?
2" @ .12 is $100 for 24'. Would it be more cost effective to use lumber? Would lumber even be able to support a 55-60 inch unsupported length?
Is powder coating really saltwater-proof, or would a Rhino Liner type material be better?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, well it's great to talk to someone with experience!
What do you think of the design? Is any of that extra bracing necessary with such heavy-duty steel?
2" @ .12 is $100 for 24'. Would it be more cost effective to use lumber? Would lumber even be able to support a 55-60 inch unsupported length?
Is powder coating really saltwater-proof, or would a Rhino Liner type material be better?
Top and bottom look good.. lose the diagonals and just put a center brace in the middle on front and back.. nothing needed on the ends either. Powder coating is amazing as is rhino liner.. pick your poison lol.. lumber isn’t cheap any more either lol..

Amphibious Wallet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear this is the thread to hijack questions. Cough.
Had the work neighbours keeping an eye out for steel benches/frames/etc they occasionally come by and scrap out with everything else. It's roughly 1200x1000xlegs, looks like 2mm wall and it would be topped with 50-80mm thick sealed timber slab. In a perfect world, I'd get a tank custom built around 100-140gal to park on top. Flooring is poured concrete of an unknown thickness.

I could con the old man to finish up some of the welding, add a brace or two and I'd also be looking at reducing the height by almost half. Some threaded feetsies on for leveling and get the whole thing powdercoated.

Yeah nah, nah yeah? Considerations? Improvements?

Attachments

• IMG_20230506_171211.jpg
    IMG_20230506_171211.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20230506_171230.jpg
    IMG_20230506_171230.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230506_171239.jpg
    IMG_20230506_171239.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20230506_171251.jpg
    IMG_20230506_171251.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230506_171316.jpg
    IMG_20230506_171316.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 34

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear this is the thread to hijack questions. Cough.
Had the work neighbours keeping an eye out for steel benches/frames/etc they occasionally come by and scrap out with everything else. It's roughly 1200x1000xlegs, looks like 2mm wall and it would be topped with 50-80mm thick sealed timber slab. In a perfect world, I'd get a tank custom built around 100-140gal to park on top. Flooring is poured concrete of an unknown thickness.

I could con the old man to finish up some of the welding, add a brace or two and I'd also be looking at reducing the height by almost half. Some threaded feetsies on for leveling and get the whole thing powdercoated.

Yeah nah, nah yeah? Considerations? Improvements?
Id pass on it myself… we’re talking over a thousand pounds sitting on it. I don’t like that thin wall material myself for anything structural but people do use it…. It reminds me of a person standing on a beer can! You can take a 200 pound person and stand on top of a beer can but the first time you move a hair or flick the can it will crumble under your foot. If it was a low boy frag tank or something sure but a large display like you’re talking is risky.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank framed? If so all the load goes to the ends regardless of the size of the tubes around the perimeter at the top.
Respectfully, that is not at all the case. The entire perimeter carries the distributed load from the tank. If only the ends of the tank are supported then the front and back glass and silicone must carry and distribute that load to the ends. This puts extreme stress on the joints as well as creates significant torsional forces in the vertical panels. Think of joist blocking, without it joists under load twist.

Arguably you don’t want intermediate vertical supports in this case as they risk causing your tank to bear loads in a manner it’s not intended to - namely midway along the glass.
That is not how force works. The only way a center support would cause a detrimental force would be if the It was ridged compared to sagging side.

The top framing is primarily to hold the vertical posts together.
The top framing’s primary purpose is to transfer the distributed load to the legs where they carry it in compression.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a tube steel deflection calculator for both point and distributed loads. I will try to get it uploaded to my site at some point.

Be careful, the vast majority of online calculators use the same wrong deflection calculation. Most of these sites just copy each other and the result is an internet full of wrong calculators for everything under the sun from physics to simple unit conversions for the kitchen.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back