Stereo Nepthea? or Litophyton nepthea?

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking they're stereo nepthea because of the fibrous structure that's pretty well identical to pink Japanese nepthea. Plus the orange one is very similar to yellow specimens I was able to look up. The colors are blue with blue polyps orange center, orange (bright) with white polyps, and blue with gold polyps pink highlights.

The overhead shot of the two with the arrow pointing at them is the orange on the left, the blue on the right. I have the purple plus and a coral plus light on on this shot as well. The others are with 10K

The order I loaded the photos is, blue, gold, orange then the two overhead.

SorLneptheablue.jpg SorLneptheagold.jpg SorLNeptheaorange1.jpg SorLneptheaovermarked.jpg

p@blo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking they're stereo nepthea because of the fibrous structure that's pretty well identical to pink Japanese nepthea. Plus the orange one is very similar to yellow specimens I was able to look up. The colors are blue with blue polyps orange center, orange (bright) with white polyps, and blue with gold polyps pink highlights.

The overhead shot of the two with the arrow pointing at them is the orange on the left, the blue on the right. I have the purple plus and a coral plus light on on this shot as well. The others are with 10K

SorLneptheablue.jpg SorLneptheagold.jpg SorLNeptheaorange1.jpg SorLneptheaovermarked.jpg
Lemnalia Soft Coral. Beautiful find

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemnalia Soft Coral. Beautiful find

Really? Cause I couldn't find any Lemnalia that fit the description (it was on my original list). Thats why I was leaning towards stereo nepthea, especially since where these were collected. I'll go do another search and see what I come up with.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't see any that have the same bi-color polyps as the stereo-nepthea. :/. I really wish I could find that dang book sea fans and soft corals (and it not cost an arm and leg).

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find these?!? Any interest in fragging?? Wink. Wink... ;) ;) ;)

I'll never telll muhahahaha...No seriously, I found them at my local LFS and they just happened to come in instead of the Kenya trees he ordered.
I would be more than happy to do frags, but I honestly don't know how well they would travel unless they were shipped in a large amount of water. These colonies had to be in a gallon each when they arrived and that says a lot for a trans shipper, cause they usually try to stuff as much as they can in a box.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dang...how far are you from Minnesota? Lol I am ALWAYS looking for new softies!

I'm in North Carolina. I can try and see about fragging them. Let me wait a few weeks to see if they are growing and healthy. I don't want to send anything that will struggle. Then we can talk about frags. I might have to ship tiny frags but if that would be okay, I could do that.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Beautiful, comrade
an hour ago, was at Reef Lounge, they have some softies 10?. Hit them up. They ship. I got a tunicate 2 inches tall. Wish they had more. No NPS, I could tell.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh definitely! Make them happy first, just don't forget about me! Lol Honestly, that is one of the things I love most about soft corals, make them happy and they grow like weeds! Good job on the find! I have a 2 hour drive to my LFS so I never really have the opportunity to be in the right place at the right time!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never telll muhahahaha...No seriously, I found them at my local LFS and they just happened to come in instead of the Kenya trees he ordered.
I would be more than happy to do frags, but I honestly don't know how well they would travel unless they were shipped in a large amount of water. These colonies had to be in a gallon each when they arrived and that says a lot for a trans shipper, cause they usually try to stuff as much as they can in a box.
Sea Dwelling Creatures (wholesaler) has some Lemnalia. That where your source is getting them, hahaha I think?

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, comrade
an hour ago, was at Reef Lounge, they have some softies 10?. Hit them up. They ship. I got a tunicate 2 inches tall. Wish they had more. No NPS, I could tell.

Do you amhave a link. The only reef lounge I found didn’t see anything that looked like soft corals. Thanks

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh definitely! Make them happy first, just don't forget about me! Lol Honestly, that is one of the things I love most about soft corals, make them happy and they grow like weeds! Good job on the find! I have a 2 hour drive to my LFS so I never really have the opportunity to be in the right place at the right time!

Same here. 2 hours one way. I’ve been 4 times this year and that’s the most I’ve ever gone

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you amhave a link. The only reef lounge I found didn’t see anything that looked like soft corals. Thanks
Most of what in store isn't on there website. Call and mention, one REEF2REEF member was there on Saturday and saw some soft corals. If they can tell you what they have? Young woman, Caucasian helped me. Owner was there today. See if you can talk to owner, remind him, member from REEF2REEF talk to him about carnation corals from Vietnam.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of what in store isn't on there website. Call and mention, one REEF2REEF member was there on Saturday and saw some soft corals. If they can tell you what they have? Young woman, Caucasian helped me. Owner was there today. See if you can talk to owner, remind him, member from REEF2REEF talk to him about carnation corals from Vietnam.

I sure will. Thank you :)

bakana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stereonephthyas are my favorite corals I hope to get to 150 of them one day. Picture 1,3,4 is Stereonephthya without a single doubt. The upper left gold one (#2) is probably a stereonepthya too, but they usually only have multiple thin shoots. Lemnalia's (possibly pic #2) look like Stereonephthya's but are softer to the touch. I would buy any intact (or fragged) from you, name your price. I would assume shipping is 100-200 overnight. Ridiculous these days but it is what it is. Stereonephthyas are like sandpaper and look like they are made out of fiberglass. If you want to keep and not sell them, hit me up on care as I have 30+ and have kept them for over a decade possibly two.

The one funny thing about them is even though the are PARTIALLY photosynthetic, they are so much harder to keep alive than dendronephthyas or scleronephthya's. You MUST have super random high current and feed at least 1 time per day. They are the hardest "leather" to keep alive out there. If they wilt or lean over they need higher current.

This is from my experiences only, not gospel of course. different for each person.

HTH.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back