Steve's LEDs question

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening R2R! I just got my Steve's LEDs that I bought from a fellow R2R member installed in my 32g biocube, and they look great.

My question is this: I'm currently on acclimation settings, so the lighting is quite low, but that blower fan they use still sounds like a window AC unit. Is there some way to quiet this thing down? I sent an email to Steve's LEDs, but I didn't know if someone on these forums found a clever solution (i didn't find anything in a quick forum search).

Thanks!

OP
OP
Fink

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the unit? Fan may be shot
I'm not sure honestly. Steve's got back with me and suggested I remove some of the grating over the outtake. They seem to think it's more that I'm hearing air passing through the louvered vents on top of the tank, rather than the fan itself. They may be right, but I was hesitant to make and modifications I couldn't take back until I was sure I liked the lights.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure honestly. Steve's got back with me and suggested I remove some of the grating over the outtake. They seem to think it's more that I'm hearing air passing through the louvered vents on top of the tank, rather than the fan itself. They may be right, but I was hesitant to make and modifications I couldn't take back until I was sure I liked the lights.
I do think that's part of their standard installation, removing some of those louvers. I ended up getting nanobox reef lights which required fewer modifications.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, thing must be really running at a high rate of speed. I mean I've got 2 fans on each of my units, can hear them, but barely. Are you able to just remove the fan guard?

OP
OP
Fink

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hurricane X controller won't let me put a minimum speed below 50. By "remove the fan guard" do you mean just cut out all of the louver/grate and leave that as an open window above the fan?

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed Steve's on my 32 Biocube 2 years ago. removed the grating and installed per instructions. Cant hear the fan.

If you are not ready to mod the lid by removing the louvers (required to keep overheating), try running it off of the lid before install. Then you can tell if it is a bad fan or louvers need removed.

OP
OP
Fink

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed Steve's on my 32 Biocube 2 years ago. removed the grating and installed per instructions. Cant hear the fan.

If you are not ready to mod the lid by removing the louvers (required to keep overheating), try running it off of the lid before install. Then you can tell if it is a bad fan or louvers need removed.
I'll go ahead and remove the louvers tonight, and if it's still a problem I'll order a new fan from them. They aren't that expensive. Thanks for the replies!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 101 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back