Steve's LEDs question

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2020
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
1,192
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening R2R! I just got my Steve's LEDs that I bought from a fellow R2R member installed in my 32g biocube, and they look great.

My question is this: I'm currently on acclimation settings, so the lighting is quite low, but that blower fan they use still sounds like a window AC unit. Is there some way to quiet this thing down? I sent an email to Steve's LEDs, but I didn't know if someone on these forums found a clever solution (i didn't find anything in a quick forum search).

Thanks!
 
How old is the unit? Fan may be shot
I'm not sure honestly. Steve's got back with me and suggested I remove some of the grating over the outtake. They seem to think it's more that I'm hearing air passing through the louvered vents on top of the tank, rather than the fan itself. They may be right, but I was hesitant to make and modifications I couldn't take back until I was sure I liked the lights.
 
I'm not sure honestly. Steve's got back with me and suggested I remove some of the grating over the outtake. They seem to think it's more that I'm hearing air passing through the louvered vents on top of the tank, rather than the fan itself. They may be right, but I was hesitant to make and modifications I couldn't take back until I was sure I liked the lights.
I do think that's part of their standard installation, removing some of those louvers. I ended up getting nanobox reef lights which required fewer modifications.
 
Hmm, thing must be really running at a high rate of speed. I mean I've got 2 fans on each of my units, can hear them, but barely. Are you able to just remove the fan guard?
 
The hurricane X controller won't let me put a minimum speed below 50. By "remove the fan guard" do you mean just cut out all of the louver/grate and leave that as an open window above the fan?
 
I installed Steve's on my 32 Biocube 2 years ago. removed the grating and installed per instructions. Cant hear the fan.

If you are not ready to mod the lid by removing the louvers (required to keep overheating), try running it off of the lid before install. Then you can tell if it is a bad fan or louvers need removed.
 
I installed Steve's on my 32 Biocube 2 years ago. removed the grating and installed per instructions. Cant hear the fan.

If you are not ready to mod the lid by removing the louvers (required to keep overheating), try running it off of the lid before install. Then you can tell if it is a bad fan or louvers need removed.
I'll go ahead and remove the louvers tonight, and if it's still a problem I'll order a new fan from them. They aren't that expensive. Thanks for the replies!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new