Steves 150 build thread

SKMoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread title to change, but it makes as much sense as anything else for now.

I hesitate to even start this thread with literally no concrete plans. All I know at the moment is location it will go, and sooner or later it will have a Mandarinfish. Ok, I have 100s of hours diving in the So Pacific and just want to replicate that the best I can.

So some background. I have a lot of experience doing reef tanks badly. I also have lots of experience with being very impatient. I do have one thing going for me. I’m totally naive enough to think I don’t need things like weekly water changes, tank maint, or omg a QT. Just being honest with my self.

So with deep humility I’m here to gather as much help as I can foster in building out a good, properly maintained reef tank.

I have had an nano tank and a RSM 250. So I am not totally new. I’m also retired now so no more 5-6 hour daily commute. Speaking of that I come with a reasonably high tech background. Eg software development, android, windows, web, iOS, Arduino, etc. And pretty good on the hardware side of things as well. And, a full woodshop.

The area the tank is going to go in is my home office. I have a wall with enough room for tank/stand ~60” long, and can come out from there as much as needed. To the right side of the wall is a small closet where I could put small fridge for food, soda and a beer or two, chiller, QT(s), supplies, etc. I can also punch through the wall into the closet if that made sense.

I’ve been looking at as RS 650 xxl with all the trimmings, but am also considering doing something ala cart and as much DIY as I can.

I know I’ll want a control system and have been looking at the Neptune system, but am open for suggestions. (Its the geek in me trying to escape)

I guess I should say, I have budget to spend what’s needed, but not to spend stupid. I’d rather spend it one time now, than multiple times later.

So questions.

Size (I think 130 gal is about all I’m going to get out of 5’ length.
All In One or build it out ala cart?
Reef Control system?
RO System at home or just buy from lfs
Mix my own water or again buy from lfs

From deepest reaches of my heart I thank everyone in advance for the help I’ll be begging.

Steve

Lebsam225gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’m on my first saltwater tank but I’ve done tons of different sizes and species in fresh.. I bought a 225 and here’s what I recommend.. my tank is 225 but yet only 5 feet long.. get the biggest deepest tank you can get! As for the RODI system you should definitely get one.. I have one but have not been able to set it up yet (I have one in my kitchen though it isn’t plumbed anywhere near my tank but that’s where I collect the water) it’s been difficult at times to collect all the water I need for the size tank I have. I am looking forward to setting up a system with rodi to help make the salt mixing process easier. That being said it depends on how hands on you want to be with your tank. I enjoy having a few things to do regularly related to my tank so I have never needed to buy water from LFS. Long term you save money but it’s is a fair amount more work.

OP
OP
SKMoss

SKMoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the decision making process continues. Gone is the RS 625 xxl.

Tank: 150 Sea Side Aquatics
Sump: 48” Sea Side Aquatics
Stand Frame: FramingTech Aluminum T Slot
Stand Doors: 1/8” Charcoal Gray, Translucent Acrylic

Control System: Neptune Apex

Lights: 3 x Radion XR15
Fuge Light: Kessler H160 Tuna Flora

Return Pump: Apex COR 20

Skimmer: Sicce Bubble-magus

Power Head: 2 x Vortech MP40d

Heat: 2 300w heaters with primary control by InkBird and backup control by Apex

Dosing: Neptune DOS
Auto Water Change: Neptune DOS
Auto Top Off: Neptune ATK

********** Edits **********
2/17/2021: Change skin to doors, pump(s), heat

Last edited:
OP
OP
SKMoss

SKMoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.

it’s taken a while. Mostly order and wait and wait and wait.

tank, stand and most of the controller stuff is built/assembled.

On to plumbing and Aquascape next.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back