steveschuergers 90 gallon Goni heavy mixed reef.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez guys - thanks for liking the post but where are my product recommendations?!? Lol

There is no doubt you all have tried lots of things over the years - help a petite gal out!
I got mine on Amazon actually. Try these. Not the same I have but they may suit.
1709228264047.png

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Btw, I’m looking for non- rusting super long tongs/tweezers. I’m too short and tanks too tall.

What are all your reefing veterans using? And please give full item name or link please. I’m old and tired and just want to press click - lol.
I use rusty old long tweezers...

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine on Amazon actually. Try these. Not the same I have but they may suit.
1709228264047.png
ohh. Those are the ones I have and they rusted; I keep wiping them before I use, but I'm playing with fire! Should I be looking for some type of coating on stainless steel that is still safe for the reef?

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are what I use.
Do you sand down the rusty parts? i know you have a full tool shed; but I would only have sand paper as an option unless there are methods I clearly no nothing about.

Or is this just a reefer ongoing problem. Your stuff rusts and you either replace a lot of remove rust?

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohh. Those are the ones I have and they rusted; I keep wiping them before I use, but I'm playing with fire! Should I be looking for some type of coating on stainless steel that is still safe for the reef?
That’s weird. I have stainless ones and they’ve been basically fine for almost 3 years. But I believe they are from a different seller. I’m pretty non chalant about wiping them dry actually. I’ll try to track down my purchase and see if they’re still available later

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s weird. I have stainless ones and they’ve been basically fine for almost 3 years. But I believe they are from a different seller. I’m pretty non chalant about wiping them dry actually. I’ll try to track down my purchase and see if they’re still available later
Well, it is possible that the rusting started when I first bought them for my original tank 3 yrs. ago. I had no clue a about cleaning off the saltwater. When I got back into hobby with this tank, I took them out of box and they seemed fine, but the rust had already started years ago. So all of this might just be on me - go figure.

If it's not too hard, i wouldn't mind seeing the current ones you use.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it is possible that the rusting started when I first bought them for my original tank 3 yrs. ago. I had no clue a about cleaning off the saltwater. When I got back into hobby with this tank, I took them out of box and they seemed fine, but the rust had already started years ago. So all of this might just be on me - go figure.

If it's not too hard, i wouldn't mind seeing the current ones you use.
Sure . I’ll take pics when I get back from the docs later. Admittedly I didn’t need the real long ones for my previous tank.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you sand down the rusty parts? i know you have a full tool shed; but I would only have sand paper as an option unless there are methods I clearly no nothing about.

Or is this just a reefer ongoing problem. Your stuff rusts and you either replace a lot of remove rust?
I wipe them with a paper towel... I know in Joel's thread we're talking about the horrors of iron and GHA, but iron in low doses can be beneficial. A lot of corals actually need iron if I remember correctly. I know Reef Builder's says that some SPS use iron for certain colors.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wipe them with a paper towel... I know in Joel's thread we're talking about the horrors of iron and GHA, but iron in low doses can be beneficial. A lot of corals actually need iron if I remember correctly. I know Reef Builder's says that some SPS use iron for certain colors.
I'm probably being overly cautious - and clearly if I had started with cleaning them correctly from the beginning, I wouldn't be asking all these questions.

If both you and Steve have the same set that I do, that is good enough for me!! I will just re-order a set and properly take care of them.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure . I’ll take pics when I get back from the docs later. Admittedly I didn’t need the real long ones for my previous tank.
Thanks Steve. No rush on this. It will be good to have another option.

I'll get off your thread now! I don't want to be that guy....

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Steve. No rush on this. It will be good to have another option.

I'll get off your thread now! I don't want to be that guy....
I’ve turned into “that guy” on a couple threads I think at times. And you’re “that gal” in any case. Unless you want to be …

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my real life self is less idealized. I’m a somewhat chunky 60 year old fella without facial hair . Unless I have the weekend off, then I like to be scruffy fora few days

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back