StikHeds 122 gal rimless w/ custom sump

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I did at first then a buddy of mine got one and he told me it is a pain to swap stones out. He also has the Vertex and he says it's so much easier to deal with than the Vibe and wishes he would of never wasted his money. That is good enough for me not to buy one. Then the other reason I decided against it was, I didn't want to run a manifold or another separate pump in the sump, plus use up another spot on my EB8 and have all the cords hanging around. I'm trying to keep this as clean as possible. And the vibe also can't sit in the sump, it needs to be outside of it somewhere.

Makes sense. I love all things vertex so can't go wrong there.

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little natural lighting photos of the rock work.

IMG_3214.JPG
IMG_3215.JPG
IMG_3217.JPG

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up. Only question I have would be what if you need to service or something breaks with the plumbing?

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple UPS Battery backups for my router and apex on the tank and for the main router for the home network. They should do the trick just to get an email sent to me letting me know that there was a power outage.
IMG_3220.JPG

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was a busy day!! I went ahead and added the tubing for the ATO pump. I also added 2 8K stunner strips for lights under the stand so I can see when I'm working. I glued all my plumbing up and finished routing all the cords in the back of the stand.
IMG_3224.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I'm waiting on now is the dosing pump stand and the overflow cover, hopefully that will be done this weekend and I can get it picked up sometime next week!

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a long time to finally get it all filled up! Then tragedy struck and I had a small leak in my return line. Added some calk and good to go! Tank has been running with just fresh water since lastnight about 8pm! Everything seems to be running smoothly, the RODC 550 return pump is so quiet! I seriously can't hear the thing run. When it turns on, it starts at a very slow flow and gradually speeds up to the setting you have it set at. I love this return pump so far and if your looking for a quiet pump, this is the way to go!

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight when I get home, I will begin adding salt to the tank. I will gradually add the recommend salt amount over the next couple days to ensure none collects anywhere in the tank. Doubt it really matters it will all dissolve sometime. After that it will be kicking on the skimmer and getting it broke in! Hopefully it is as quiet as the return pump since they are both the RODC pumps!

iheartsps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just cascaded through your entire build. Amazing! I have a pretty nice 150 IMO but your tank is awesome. You have been extremely diligent and detailed. You seem to be doing everything the right way. I can't wait to see how it grows from here.

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, with the care and attention to detail you have shown, the "I hope none of the Apex components fail" approach to putting things on the back of the tank seems a bit like a mistake. I know you said moving the tank to make changes isn't a big deal, but I have to disagree. I can't imagine having to drain my tank and move it away from the wall every time I want and or need to adjust something with my Apex... Just my $.02

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, with the care and attention to detail you have shown, the "I hope none of the Apex components fail" approach to putting things on the back of the tank seems a bit like a mistake. I know you said moving the tank to make changes isn't a big deal, but I have to disagree. I can't imagine having to drain my tank and move it away from the wall every time I want and or need to adjust something with my Apex... Just my $.02
+1, might as well nip it in the bud

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back