Still can’t figure out what’s wrong with wrasse

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest video. He keeps flashing and twitching. No signs of ich and he’s been like this for way too long for velvet or Brooke. He eats a good amount and is active in the tank.

He’s been through over 40 days of copper at 1.75 PPM and PraziPro rounds

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest video. He keeps flashing and twitching. No signs of ich and he’s been like this for way too long for velvet or Brooke. He eats a good amount and is active in the tank.

He’s been through over 40 days of copper at 1.75 PPM and PraziPro rounds

Have you ever done a freshwater bath to check for prazi resistant flukes?

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever done a freshwater bath to check for prazi resistant flukes?

Yes - dipped him when I first posted several weeks back and saw nothing.

Unfortunately he’s in permanent QT until he stops doing that. I think running through another 30 days of therapeutic copper is going to be too much for a wrasse

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s flukes - what alternatives do I have aside from PraziPro?

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I had a suspicion this was resistance fluke. It says that it should be feed to the fish. I don't think the flukes are external. I think they are all buried in his gills given his sypthoms.

Fenbendazole dosed at 95mg a gallon for a 12 hour bath. I used a bucket and it worked well.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright - I have a 2G bucket. I can throw an airstone in there and put him in the bath. It has a cover as well and I have a heater I can use. Will that work?

That’s exactly what I did for 2 wrasse but in a 5G bucket. I used plastic netting on the top and Fenbendazole doesn’t dissolve well so you should try to pre-dissolve

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I did for 2 wrasse but in a 5G bucket. I used plastic netting on the top and Fenbendazole doesn’t dissolve well so you should try to pre-dissolve

Cool, I'll give it a try. I don't have a "sterile QT" available unfortunately though. He's in a 29G QT and my other 20G is out of commission (it leaked).

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I'll give it a try. I don't have a "sterile QT" available unfortunately though. He's in a 29G QT and my other 20G is out of commission (it leaked).

I would spend part of that 12 hours sterilizing your current QT then, otherwise it will serve no purpose

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would spend part of that 12 hours sterilizing your current QT then, otherwise it will serve no purpose

Hmm - I could get a new 20G tank from Petco. He's just a 3" wrasse. I'm used to cycled media in a QT --- how much will I need to change water with him with a 20G until I can transfer him over?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm - I could get a new 20G tank from Petco. He's just a 3" wrasse. I'm used to cycled media in a QT --- how much will I need to change water with him with a 20G until I can transfer him over?

I would get the 20G and a bottle of biospira. The biospira poured into(soaked) into a sponge or media will make the tank fish ready immediately with just one wrasse. If it was a large bio load I’d say wait but for my last 2 wrasses that QT’ed together this is what I did. Just match temp and S.G with the new water and put him in after the bath.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the video pretty closely, I don't see too much "scratching" he looks more like he is kind of darting and spazzing out. Is he rubbing on things in the tank, or just kind of darting around? While I do agree treating for prazi-resistant flukes is a good idea, just in case, I think that maybe if he is still doing this after the treatment I wouldn't keep him permanently banned to QT. It might be that he settles down once he is in your tank with other fishes and a more natural environment.

My moyer's wrasse has been settled for a few weeks now, and is still the most spastic fish I've ever owned. And he is one of 6 wrasses, and the only one that acts like he does. I'll be sitting on my couch and he will randomly shoot out of the water and hit the net top for no reason whatsoever. He kind of darts like that when he swims sometimes too... I think there are sometimes "high-strung" fish, just like any other animal lol.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly, I know you won’t want to hear this but my wrasse (3 at the time) went through a full treatment of copper, two rounds of Prazi, and fenbendazole (continuously flashing) and after all of that one wrasse finally died. The one died 24 hours after the bath with lethargy and heavy breathing. I determined it was velvet that got through. I did another 14 days of copper and now they are good and in the DT. Somehow they carried it for 45 days or so and I don’t know how it got through copper. I agree with @ngoodermuth im not sure that’s true flashing.

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the 20G and a bottle of biospira. The biospira poured into(soaked) into a sponge or media will make the tank fish ready immediately with just one wrasse. If it was a large bio load I’d say wait but for my last 2 wrasses that QT’ed together this is what I did. Just match temp and S.G with the new water and put him in after the bath.

Sounds good. I just ordered everything up from amazon prime shipping. I'll go get the new 20G tank to replace the broken one.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse had the true headshake, yawning,rubbing on the PVC, etc and I don’t see that in the video

OP
OP
ReefWithCare

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the video pretty closely, I don't see too much "scratching" he looks more like he is kind of darting and spazzing out. Is he rubbing on things in the tank, or just kind of darting around? While I do agree treating for prazi-resistant flukes is a good idea, just in case, I think that maybe if he is still doing this after the treatment I wouldn't keep him permanently banned to QT. It might be that he settles down once he is in your tank with other fishes and a more natural environment.

My moyer's wrasse has been settled for a few weeks now, and is still the most spastic fish I've ever owned. And he is one of 6 wrasses, and the only one that acts like he does. I'll be sitting on my couch and he will randomly shoot out of the water and hit the net top for no reason whatsoever. He kind of darts like that when he swims sometimes too... I think there are sometimes "high-strung" fish, just like any other animal lol.

He just turns to his side and looks like he tries to rub, but then doesn't scratch against the rock.

My wife was saying the same thing saying he's stir crazy being in QT so long and that I sold his "friend" rabbitfish. He's been like this ever since I sold my rabbitfish. He spazzes and has smacked the mesh net a few times (He stopped hitting the top when I replaced it with a glass top) . My water parameters are super clean with very low nitrates and 0 ammonia.

I'm honestly at a loss at this point with him. He started acting like this when I started selling his "friends" when I was downgrading my tank. It was like he literally lost his mind when I sold my rabbitfish and the clownfish pair.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.5%
Back