Still Getting Low Nitrate and No Phos

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just express feed the tank. If you feed once a day then feed twice with frozen food to get nitrate up, and will help phos. Also feed more reef roids to bump phos up. Its up to you but no need to play mad scientist with bottled stuff if you dont need to.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just express feed the tank. If you feed once a day then feed twice with frozen food to get nitrate up, and will help phos. Also feed more reef roids to bump phos up. Its up to you but no need to play mad scientist with bottled stuff if you dont need to.
Ya. That's what I've been trying to do. It's my absolute last resort-- believe me. I failed chemistry twice.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then just feed a bit more. It will rise.
I'm actually quite flabbergasted that it's remained low. I only run a cannister filter. I had my water tested at a trusted LFS and they detected same. Low nitrate and undetected phos. I used salifert at home. I'm dumbfounded

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually quite flabbergasted that it's remained low. I only run a cannister filter. I had my water tested at a trusted LFS and they detected same. Low nitrate and undetected phos. I used salifert at home. I'm dumbfounded
Well you're corals will love you with all the feeding.. and the fish won't complain either. And on top of that its all natural.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it. How are you measuring phosphate? If it's a Hanna checker, which specific one?

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on buying a UV sterilizer anyway. I'm buying that at a different store I often go to. I'll bring some water there and get a second opinion.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a Hanna. That's why I took it to my LFS he tested twice...said its literally undetectable.
If not checked with an Ultra Low Range Hanna Phosphorous checker, then I don't believe that it's zero. Undetectable on a color comparison kit doesn't mean much, since the Hanna ULR is the only one that can read in a useful range.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not checked with an Ultra Low Range Hanna Phosphorous checker, then I don't believe that it's zero. Undetectable on a color comparison kit doesn't mean much, since the Hanna ULR is the only one that can read in a useful range.
Ya I forget exactly what they said all I remember is they said "I even checked with the...." and I forget what "the" was lol

I'll get another opinion

Ncarlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a Hanna phosphate ultra low range. Digital readout, super easy. I have a similar setup, canister filter no sump or skimmer, all softies live rock and a couple fish. Phosphate measure .02-.08 regularly and are undetectable by other test kits...

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on my no3 and po4 there always zero no matter what I do now am just trying dosing aminos and see what the colours and health will look like . Right now there pail and not doing to good .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on my no3 and po4 there always zero no matter what I do now am just trying dosing aminos and see what the colours and health will look like . Right now there pail and not doing to good .

At best they are still missing phosphate.

There is never a situation where you cannot dose enough to get detectable levels of nitrate and phosphate, assuming the kit is working.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At best they are still missing phosphate.

There is never a situation where you cannot dose enough to get detectable levels of nitrate and phosphate, assuming the kit is working.
I can get no3 up a bit but when I do I get Dino’s / algae and po4 I have dosed it a lot and it’s always zero I have tried 3 test kits and my hanna lowrange with all reading zero . Am scared to does to much I was almost double dosing the amount it told me too

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back