Still looking for the Bernardpora "SECRET"

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can only get my Chili Pepper Bernardpora (may have different names). To open at night.

You can see from photo I have decent success with 2 Alveoporas and Raspberry Goniopora. But the little Bernard only opens after dark.

Params:
SG 1.026 @78F
PH: 8.3 average
DKH: 9+
NO3: 5
PO4: 0.05

Feed:
Tetraselmis Phyto everyday
Isochrysis Phyto everyday
ReefEnergy every other day
Brightwell Aminos twice/week
ReefRoids once/week (lightly)
Pax Bellum Manganese/Iron 1-2/week
Iodide 1drop 2/week

Ive tried all sorts of high/low light/flow.

Any help appreciated.
20210418_153056.jpg
20210418_153038.jpg

rlamos1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has fuller PE at night but it does open during the day, not completely buttoned up like that. Maybe try enticing it during the day with some target feeding under a cup like a dendro. I rotate Reed Roids and Benepet for my goni/berni's. Have you tried relocating it too?

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has fuller PE at night but it does open during the day, not completely buttoned up like that. Maybe try enticing it during the day with some target feeding under a cup like a dendro. I rotate Reed Roids and Benepet for my goni/berni's. Have you tried relocating it too?
Thank you

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can only get my Chili Pepper Bernardpora (may have different names). To open at night.

You can see from photo I have decent success with 2 Alveoporas and Raspberry Goniopora. But the little Bernard only opens after dark.

Params:
SG 1.026 @78F
PH: 8.3 average
DKH: 9+
NO3: 5
PO4: 0.05

Feed:
Tetraselmis Phyto everyday
Isochrysis Phyto everyday
ReefEnergy every other day
Brightwell Aminos twice/week
ReefRoids once/week (lightly)
Pax Bellum Manganese/Iron 1-2/week
Iodide 1drop 2/week

Ive tried all sorts of high/low light/flow.

Any help appreciated.
20210418_153056.jpg
20210418_153038.jpg

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Lardlad, I'm having similar issues. Have great success with alveopora and goniapora. For some reason my Bernardpora opens polyps during daytime but extends or elongates polyps at night. Will like to learn from someone else with more experience than me and you also. My Bernardpora frag only has 3 days with me. Hopping for the best.

Sorry for bad picture, Bernardpora would be the pink one on bottom center behind turbo snails.

Attachments

• IMG_20230210_173943530.jpg
    IMG_20230210_173943530.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 68

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Bernardpora and I have opposite issue but that’s the cast with all my corals. At night they all close and never have polyp extension when lights are out they usually completely close at night. During day they look amazing.

7141FC49-FED8-4A49-9312-BE015CFEBFF6.jpeg

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Bernardpora and I have opposite issue but that’s the cast with all my corals. At night they all close and never have polyp extension when lights are out they usually completely close at night. During day they look amazing.

7141FC49-FED8-4A49-9312-BE015CFEBFF6.jpeg
Same for all other corals I have, full polyp extension during the day ( lights on) it's only my new addition Bernardpora that opens at night, also my sun coral

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals you just have to train by target-feeding in the daytime and not feeding at night. Some have a particularly good response to the addition of aminos, so you could use that to draw them out for "training."

Get an ICP and make sure your manganese and vanadium are where they need to be - flowerpots seem especially prone to oxidative stress from photosynthesis if manganese is not at the appropriate level, and it may be that it's avoiding the light for that reason. The others may be big enough to have decent reserves and not be showing stress yet. Just a hunch, but worth checking out.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, it is far too close to the other flowerpots in the photo. Bernardpora have some pretty aggressive sweepers and they WILL go after alveopora and goniopora, based on what I've seen.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, it is far too close to the other flowerpots in the photo. Bernardpora have some pretty aggressive sweepers and they WILL go after alveopora and goniopora, based on what I've seen.
Mine is literally right next to avevapora and gonapora and I’ve never had an issue but who knows

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this on a YouTube video by Jake Adams. Great info. May he rest in peace.

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals you just have to train by target-feeding in the daytime and not feeding at night. Some have a particularly good response to the addition of aminos, so you could use that to draw them out for "training."

Get an ICP and make sure your manganese and vanadium are where they need to be - flowerpots seem especially prone to oxidative stress from photosynthesis if manganese is not at the appropriate level, and it may be that it's avoiding the light for that reason. The others may be big enough to have decent reserves and not be showing stress yet. Just a hunch, but worth checking out.

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definitely feed aminos as I used too before. Currently fighting a cyanobacteria outbreak. Aminos make it worse. Stoped feeding so heavy, working on keeping phosphate a bit lower. Don't want to bandaid the problem with chemicals so working on it this way for now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back