Still Not ID’ed...Diatom? Bacterial Bloom?

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something that looked very similar to this in my 55 before I upgraded to my 210.
I know this will be frowned upon, but I used API Algae Fix Marine and it cleared it up. I stopped dosing it once the stuff was gone and it never came back. It only took about two weeks for it to go away.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what John from Reefcleaners.org recommends for a 30g system. I used to think his recommendations were crazy high. I've learned he is on the mark more often than not. If anything, I feel the 330ish snails he recommends for my system aren't enough.
upload_2019-3-28_13-57-18.png

I knew eventually I would need to up the size of the cleanup crew but was worried to do it so early because the tank has only been up for a few months, but it seems given the algae outbreak, now is probably a good time to add a few more to the tank yeah?

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something that looked very similar to this in my 55 before I upgraded to my 210.
I know this will be frowned upon, but I used API Algae Fix Marine and it cleared it up. I stopped dosing it once the stuff was gone and it never came back. It only took about two weeks for it to go away.

Good to know. I prefer to leave any additives as an absolute last resort so I’ll see if I can get this in check naturally but I’ll keep this in mind. Thanks for the heads up!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew eventually I would need to up the size of the cleanup crew but was worried to do it so early because the tank has only been up for a few months, but it seems given the algae outbreak, now is probably a good time to add a few more to the tank yeah?
The only reason to wait to build your CuC is if you worry about them starving. Seems they would have plenty of food.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason to wait to build your CuC is if you worry about them starving. Seems they would have plenty of food.

Replaced my DI resin and called my LFS to see what snails they have. Will do a serious clean up of the algae, a water change, and add some new critters to the tank tonight! Thanks again! :)

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dealing with it for roughly two weeks. It came right after the diatom stage and as some bright green solid looking algae formed in blotches on my rocks. I have been testing religiously and my nitrates have been zero but my phosphates have been stuck around 0.141 ppm. You may want to also test your phosphates, nitrate, and silica to see what’s going on. I’ll let you know what happens as I begin to treat this stuff.
mine came right after diatoms also..i started with 3 month cured pukani so my diatoms only lasted about a week then this stuff popped up a week later. I test my phosphates weekly and they have been at zero since day 1. nitrates fluctuate between 5-10. Im going to get more snails this weekend.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The stuff I picked off a couple of days ago did leave behind some very soft, slimy 'fuzz' that is now slowly starting to grow back. I'm just going to do a 50% water change (easy on a 16g tank) and see what happens. I don't even feed this tank as the only living things in the tank are a couple of zoa frags, a couple of small zoa colonies, a maxi-mini anemone and a baby RFA... oh, and one snail.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just scrubbed all my rocks with a brush and most of it came off pretty easily, 30 minutes later about half of it already came back lol...i just read the thread from reef central and my calcium is a little low, i been working on getting my calcium reactor up and running but it has a leak and im waiting on vertex to send me replacement parts

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I’d ID’ed this stuff as Licmophora sp. but now that I’ve let it grow out, I’m not so sure. It’s a brown-ish white looking feather protruding from the live rock in mostly high light intensity areas and emerging from what looks like existing algae.

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: 0.141
pH: 8.2
dKH: 9.6
Cal: 460
Mag: 1300

Dosing aminos and 3-part. Light GFO (Rowaphos) in a minireactor. Chaeto in a reactor. Barely feeding fish. Feeding coral lightly once a week but cutting back until this stuff is gone.

8EBCFEC1-FACA-4D89-B499-7F067F4C8811.jpeg
775DA4AC-6481-4D30-9D58-F4A67304F38A.jpeg
7760A76B-BCE5-479E-991C-D3A621B13137.jpeg

This is gorgeous! And so white. Hard to believe it could be a photosynthetic organism. Sure you can’t find someone with a microscope.

I have seen filamentous cyanobacteria grow feathery structures. The “stem” could easily be nothing more than long twisted filaments. So, I continue to entertain a filamentous bacterial bloom.

Feeding the system amino acids and phosphates is a great bacteria food. Moreover, now that this organism is so large it could be outcompeting the ammonia oxidizing bacteria in your system and feeding on the ammonia as well.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I’d ID’ed this stuff as Licmophora sp. but now that I’ve let it grow out, I’m not so sure. It’s a brown-ish white looking feather protruding from the live rock in mostly high light intensity areas and emerging from what looks like existing algae.

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: 0.141
pH: 8.2
dKH: 9.6
Cal: 460
Mag: 1300

Dosing aminos and 3-part. Light GFO (Rowaphos) in a minireactor. Chaeto in a reactor. Barely feeding fish. Feeding coral lightly once a week but cutting back until this stuff is gone.

8EBCFEC1-FACA-4D89-B499-7F067F4C8811.jpeg
775DA4AC-6481-4D30-9D58-F4A67304F38A.jpeg
7760A76B-BCE5-479E-991C-D3A621B13137.jpeg
The problem is lack of nutrients. These bacterial strains thrive in low nutrient environments. Take the phosban reactor off line dose nitrate and phosphate daily (with testing) and see if after a couple of weeks of detectable levels if this has gone.

I only ever get this when im scrubbing my tank too clean. Out of curiousity does your salt mix have probiotics in it.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is lack of nutrients. These bacterial strains thrive in low nutrient environments. Take the phosban reactor off line dose nitrate and phosphate daily (with testing) and see if after a couple of weeks of detectable levels if this has gone.

I only ever get this when im scrubbing my tank too clean. Out of curiousity does your salt mix have probiotics in it.

Do you really think the water is too clean with the phosphate over .1 and the fact I’ve been dosing aminos every day and feeding reef roids once a week? Also, wouldn’t my corals be showing signs of distresss if the water that truly too clean? The salt mix I’m using is Red Sea Coral Pro. I manually removed most of this stuff and the snails look like they’re getting to work on what’s left. I’m adding a lawnmower blenny as we speak to hopefully trim down the rest. Phosphates came down a bit after the water change and I’m considering a dose of Phosphate Rx to bring the phosphates down to .03 and then resume feeding freely to get the corals some extra food in the clean water.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up adding 3 turbo snails, 10 more trochus snails, and a lawnmower blenny. These guys have absolutely decimated the algae. All that’s left is some growing at the very top of the live rock and they’re still working on it. I bet it’ll be all gone in the next few days. Phosphates dropped a tiny bit, I’m wondering if that’s due to the algae removal. I may dose in some Phosphate Rx to really knock it down once my skimmer stops going nuts from the epoxy I used while mounting frags yesterday. The clowns were very interested that I was taking a photos of the tank, the blenny is still pretty skittish.

1E1721DC-8EF4-4545-9759-3439E0535197.jpeg
FDB81B84-F654-4B2D-8187-91B77086C07D.jpeg
258F6138-4240-40A8-B1AE-C573B5BC00F8.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up adding 3 turbo snails, 10 more trochus snails, and a lawnmower blenny. These guys have absolutely decimated the algae. All that’s left is some growing at the very top of the live rock and they’re still working on it. I bet it’ll be all gone in the next few days. Phosphates dropped a tiny bit, I’m wondering if that’s due to the algae removal. I may dose in some Phosphate Rx to really knock it down once my skimmer stops going nuts from the epoxy I used while mounting frags yesterday. The clowns were very interested that I was taking a photos of the tank, the blenny is still pretty skittish.

1E1721DC-8EF4-4545-9759-3439E0535197.jpeg
FDB81B84-F654-4B2D-8187-91B77086C07D.jpeg
258F6138-4240-40A8-B1AE-C573B5BC00F8.jpeg
I'm glad the CuC worked for you! It's looking good!

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad the CuC worked for you! It's looking good!

Thanks! Me too. I’m wondering if I should remove a few and give them back to the LFS when the stuff is gone or if they’ll have enough reproducing algae, film, etc. to keep them alive. Also wondering if after Phosphate Rx when I get the phosphates down to a reasonable level if I can feed the corals once a week again so the water isn’t ultra-clean.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested my parameters today after feeding the corals last night after having not fed them for two weeks. I find it odd that no matter how much I feed, the phosphates will shoot up but the nitrates stay at 0 ppm. Is the chaeto really doing that much?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested my parameters today after feeding the corals last night after having not fed them for two weeks. I find it odd that no matter how much I feed, the phosphates will shoot up but the nitrates stay at 0 ppm. Is the chaeto really doing that much?
The Chaeto will only grow if there is phosphate, nitrate and iron along with a few other trace elements.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am HAPPY to report...the algae is 100% GONE!!!

@NoobReeefer I know you were dealing with this too. All I did was manually remove, added 15 snails (trochus and turbo) to my existing cleanup crew, and added a lawnmower blenny (who I believe did most of the work on the longer stuff). The algae could not keep up with these guys. I may have to take the turbos back to the LFS as I think the tank is way too clean now for this large of a cleanup crew and I don’t want one of them to die in my tank (I had to flip them back over multiple times already when they’d fallen off the glass or rockwork). I didn’t change my GFO and reactor yet and my phosphates are still high so attacking that issue is next. Thanks for the help everybody! :)

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am HAPPY to report...the algae is 100% GONE!!!

@NoobReeefer I know you were dealing with this too. All I did was manually remove, added 15 snails (trochus and turbo) to my existing cleanup crew, and added a lawnmower blenny (who I believe did most of the work on the longer stuff). The algae could not keep up with these guys. I may have to take the turbos back to the LFS as I think the tank is way too clean now for this large of a cleanup crew and I don’t want one of them to die in my tank (I had to flip them back over multiple times already when they’d fallen off the glass or rockwork). I didn’t change my GFO and reactor yet and my phosphates are still high so attacking that issue is next. Thanks for the help everybody! :)
this gives me hope lol...yesterday i added like 30 cerriths and 15 nerites..ill monitor over the next few days and go pick up 10-20 more trochus this weekend if necessary.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back