Stingray Feeding

Silvr_Back

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first thing first. I'm new to the forum and new to being a reefer. The wife and I decided to get a tank for our boys to enjoy. So I'm in charge of it and after lots of reading and research and asked to a handful of LFS workers I've gotten mix answers. So our first fish to our tank is a Cali stingray, the fish store that we got it from said to feed it once a day and different sites say to feed it threw out the day 3x a day and another LFS said to feed her once every 3 days so I'm stuck any help will be very appreciated... here's our beauty

aqu8abar.jpg

synygura.jpg

nusezede.jpg

Hope the pics work..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
Silvr_Back

Silvr_Back

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now she's in a 30gl tank I know that's small for a ray but were thinking of getting a bigger tank in the near future the tank we have right now was given to us. But from what I have read Cali ray grow to be about 8in around in diameter and is best keep in a 75gl tank or bigger but to right now I'm guessing she's maybe 2.5in to 3in in diameter still a baby for sure. Well I guess I'll keep asking around and reading up on them but for now I'm feeding her 3x a day small to medium portions every other day. I hope I'm not over or under feeding her.

OP
OP
Silvr_Back

Silvr_Back

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now she's in a 30gl tank I know that's small for a ray but were thinking of getting a bigger tank in the near future the tank we have right now was given to us. But from what I have read Cali ray grow to be about 8in around in diameter and is best keep in a 75gl tank or bigger but to right now I'm guessing she's maybe 2.5in to 3in in diameter still a baby for sure. Well I guess I'll keep asking around and reading up on them but for now I'm feeding her 3x a day small to medium portions every other day. I hope I'm not over or under feeding her.

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ICgBw&usg=AFQjCNEWX2L-o5hz3vBDrKF3mxq8IXC9Ugi
Temperament: Aggressive
Reef Safe: No
Family: Urolophidae
Native To: Eastern Pacific
Diet: Carnivore
Adult Size: Up to 10"
Temperature: 65-75° F
Water Parameters: dKH 8-12, sg 1.020-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4
Care Level: Difficult
Tank Size: 180+ gallons
Scientific Name: Urobatis halleri
Environment: Marine
Requires cooler water at 65-75°F
Bottom dweller that needs a softer sandy substrate
Has a venomous spine used for defense

California Stingray

Also known as the Round Stingray, Volina (Serbia), Pigrokke (Denmark), Pastinaca (Spain and Italy), or Raya (Mexico).

The cool water California Stingray needs a tank temperature between the range of 65 to 75°F. This bottom dweller has a very sensitive abdomen that needs a sandy substrate. The sand is also used as a form of camouflage. A coarse substrate will cause abrasions leading to infection. Not a reef safe species as it will eat mollusks and crustaceans such as snails and crabs. The California Stingray does have a venomous spine that is used only for defense, so care should be taken while cleaning the tank. Ideally, the tank should be at least two feet width from front to back to accommodate the Stingray's size.

Difficult to feed at first, this species should be fed squid or live feeder shrimp. Chunks of marine fish, scallops, and squid may be introduced once acclimated.

This info was compiled from google, petco, and someone who had a video on YouTube about feeding a ray I hope this helps you out!!!
This is one of the best hobbies a family can enjoy together and watch grow!!! If you ever have any speed bumps this is the place to ask questions. R2R has many knowledgable people and tons of information about the Saltwater hobby!!!!!

Happy reefing

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a jerk, but you are suppose to do the research before you get the fish.

This is not a good fish for a beginning aquarist, being the first fish in your first tank. Hopefully you can get it to eat. Stevie has gathered some great info to get you started with your stingray.

Good luck and welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
Silvr_Back

Silvr_Back

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Stevie. Very much appreciated.

Oh no I know I should have done my research first but it was a impulse buy on the wifey lol

One thing I did learn today was don't throw in a cleaning shrimp with a Ray lol. Pick up a blue tang 2 days and notice this morning it had white dots on it. Did some research on it and come to find out it ich, did more research find out it might be because of the stress from coming from the store and being in a new tank. I also read a cleaning shrimp would help with it so I go to my lfs and get one but once I throw it into my tank my Ray was on it like a fat kid on cake that shrimp had no chance. So there went 20 bucks lol. Hope she enjoyed it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of tank do you intend on keeping? The stingray will propably eat small fish too.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squid is one of the best foods you can feed rays. You can buy it fairly cheap frozen in a box and clean it and chop it up yourself. The difference in information you see on websites is certainly misleading, smaller rays should be fed daily, small amounts several times is best. Larger rays can be fed less often, but larger amounts (ie "gorge" them). Rays often come in with little flat worm type parasites which can be seen with the naked eye, so watch for that. Cleaner shrimp will eat the parasites, but as you saw rays can in turn eat the cleaner shrimp ;) Little rays grow very fast when properly fed. I had a little ~3" disc Urolophus halleri (California Round Ray) that grew to ~8" disc in under six months. I moved him into a friends 600 gallon saltwater pond after she outgrew a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank. Be prepared for a 180-240 gal aquarium to keep them happy long term, and I would recommend adding a mate for the ray (easy to sex, look for claspers) as they're very social animals.

OP
OP
Silvr_Back

Silvr_Back

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info but sad to say she past away was really hoping to see her grow big and strong but I guess the fishy gods had something else planed for her

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back