stingray in this tank? What else?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
there is a custom tank in my area that is being sold very cheap, I am thinking of buying it and doing a sting ray tank with some tangs and lionfish. Would they be fine with a sting ray??

would i be able to keep a california stingray or a cortez stingray in a tank that is 8 feet long, 2 feet wide and only 16 inches tall???

What else would you guys suggest for me, I have tried to find some threads on them with what equipment they run, etc but I couldnt find much

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A stingray should be ok in that tank, though a lion may sting the ray as the ray moves around. Algae eating tangs may nip at the stingray.

Planktivore tangs, such as the hippo would work. Soldierfish might be good tankmates.

johnl99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most grazing fish don't work well with sharks or rays. Many, such as large angels, will nip at the eyes. Also aggressive fish (triggers, puffers, etc) will bite them up. I would stick with some fish with larger mouths that won't bother the rays. Good options include the more passive groupers (ie panther), porkfish, squirrelfish, moray eels, and maybe a sweetlips or a grunt.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back