stingray in this tank? What else?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 13, 2016
Messages
4,346
Reaction score
2,273
Location
Allentown PA
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
there is a custom tank in my area that is being sold very cheap, I am thinking of buying it and doing a sting ray tank with some tangs and lionfish. Would they be fine with a sting ray??

would i be able to keep a california stingray or a cortez stingray in a tank that is 8 feet long, 2 feet wide and only 16 inches tall???


What else would you guys suggest for me, I have tried to find some threads on them with what equipment they run, etc but I couldnt find much
 
A stingray should be ok in that tank, though a lion may sting the ray as the ray moves around. Algae eating tangs may nip at the stingray.

Planktivore tangs, such as the hippo would work. Soldierfish might be good tankmates.
 
Most grazing fish don't work well with sharks or rays. Many, such as large angels, will nip at the eyes. Also aggressive fish (triggers, puffers, etc) will bite them up. I would stick with some fish with larger mouths that won't bother the rays. Good options include the more passive groupers (ie panther), porkfish, squirrelfish, moray eels, and maybe a sweetlips or a grunt.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new