Stink bug

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not sure if stink bug is the actual name of the bugs, but I think some of you will understand what I'm talking about when I say stink bug.

so these bugs have become a nuisance and sometimes I'd see one floating in my tank.. I would instantly rip that sucker out. throw him at the wall, light him on fire, flush him, well you get the idea. Darn stink bugs. I have a lid coming just wish it was sooner :mad:

well yesterday I found one actually submerged and stuck against my mp40.. along with 2 of my female anthias KIA. I didn't honestly put the 2 together at the time to think the stink bug was the reason.

today I get home from work to both my clownfish KIA..

Now i'm concerned and have begun making water for a large water change. other fish appear fine, coral appears fine. shrimps fine..running carbon and skimmer..

So my real question is, Can stink bugs contaminate my tank? or even kill a fish?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not sure if stink bug is the actual name of the bugs, but I think some of you will understand what I'm talking about when I say stink bug.

so these bugs have become a nuisance and sometimes I'd see one floating in my tank.. I would instantly rip that sucker out. throw him at the wall, light him on fire, flush him, well you get the idea. Darn stink bugs. I have a lid coming just wish it was sooner :mad:

well yesterday I found one actually submerged and stuck against my mp40.. along with 2 of my female anthias KIA. I didn't honestly put the 2 together at the time to think the stink bug was the reason.

today I get home from work to both my clownfish KIA..

Now i'm concerned and have begun making water for a large water change. other fish appear fine, coral appears fine. shrimps fine..running carbon and skimmer..

So my real question is, Can stink bugs contaminate my tank? or even kill a fish?
You're not referring to box elder bugs are you?
istock_000022785165_medium.jpg

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. Stink bugs. I’m not sure what they can release toxin wise, but how big is the tank? What is your Ammonia? Have you sprayed aerosols lately? Have you introduced any new fish recently?

-Zack
-didn't think to check ammonia. will do that now. 525xl 140gal with 90 lbs rock.
-no aerosols. only a candle on opposite side of the room.
-a second cleaner shrimp about 2 weeks ago.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-didn't think to check ammonia. will do that now. 525xl 140gal with 90 lbs rock.
-no aerosols. only a candle on opposite side of the room.
-a second cleaner shrimp about 2 weeks ago.

Ammonia, Temperature, and PH. That’s what seems to be over looked but usually happen quickly. I would also throw a bag of carbon in the sump or turn on a reactor if possible seeing as I think their is a contamination of something. Also, are you pulling outside air into the tank for skimmer or ozone?

-Zack, #reefsquad

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia at 0, ph 8.23 and temp 79.1.

looking at my apex since I installed a fuge light 3 days ago im gaining .2 degree at night.

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia, Temperature, and PH. That’s what seems to be over looked but usually happen quickly. I would also throw a bag of carbon in the sump or turn on a reactor if possible seeing as I think their is a contamination of something. Also, are you pulling outside air into the tank for skimmer or ozone?

-Zack, #reefsquad
have carbon reactor going again and nyos160 skimming.

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the bugs are in your tank, is it possible your fish were taking bites of them? IMHO I wouldn't think one or two bugs would fowl a tank that size, but I can see direct ingestion being a problem depending on if trans-2-decenal and trans-2-Octenal (the odors produced) are toxic. Both chemical are used as a deterrent from predation, but I don't know if they are toxic.

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the bugs are in your tank, is it possible your fish were taking bites of them? IMHO I wouldn't think one or two bugs would fowl a tank that size, but I can see direct ingestion being a problem depending on if trans-2-decenal and trans-2-Octenal (the odors produced) are toxic. Both chemical are used as a deterrent from predation, but I don't know if they are toxic.
I wanna say i'm positive no bites were taken.
although it was sucked up against a mp40. so if it was leaching anything it was just being dispersed via mp40 to the whole tank.
I also can't be sure how long it was in the tank. less than 12hrs though.

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From researching trans-2-decenal

R50/53 - Very toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment.

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ether way I have something fishy going on figured to try and see where this led before getting to worse things..

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In what concentrations.

+1. I find these in my tanks all the time. Never had any ill effects, and my display is a 20g long. If your tank is larger than a 10 gallon, I would look for another cause of death.

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In what concentrations.
im not sure. I can forward you the link if you'd like.

as your article hinted, I'd have an serious issue if a skunk sprayed my tank.

so thoughts that it wouldn't be concentrated enough to do much harm? and hopefully skimmer and carbon will X the remainder out, if any?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back