Stock list suggestions for my tank

kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm in the process of reviving my old fowlr tank and trying to convert it to a reef tank. I see the general consensus is to now ignore the old "inch per gallon" rule when it comes to stocking the tank, so what is a realistic stock list of forgiving and hardy fish/corals/inverts for my size tank and setup? I understand some fish produce more waste than others, but I don't know which ones are dirty and which ones are "cleaner". I also know I can't add them all at once, but I'm looking for like an end goal list. The only thing I am dead set on is a pair of clowns (of course) and that I only want to keep softies to start with. No LPS or SPS just yet. I'm curious to see your suggestions and I appreciate your time. :) Below I will attach some photos and run you through my equipment. Sorry the water looks a bit cloudy just did a water change and moved the sand bed a bit.

54 gallon corner tank
55lbs of live rock
~1" sand bed of Carib sea live sand
Two hydor kurrila 425 powerheads
Eshoppes over flow box
Two Kessil A80 lights
Eheim Jager 150w heater
Sump underneath with carbon filter pad and bio balls
Aquamag 700gph return pump
Protein skimmer recommended by LFS (forget the name and brand of it)
100gpd 4 stage RODI unit
IO salt
A8E19648-22F5-44DE-8A4C-DB2999A01DCE.jpeg

3E98F4E2-96E4-4A44-B77E-1D3D6F1130F7.jpeg

8F8D72B4-C601-4C6E-808D-E7906A19F746.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion: I would sell and upgrade the lights (i dont think a80s will support much growth in this depth tank) as well as take out the bioballs and just put a marinepure (or any other company) bioblock in the bottom fully submerged. People dont really use wet/dry in saltwater much anymore. You could also take out the carbon filter pad tray and put a hang on filter sock in the sump to help loose the trickling noise.
Looks like an asm g1 protein skimmer, they are trusty but old now, hopefully they gave you a good deal.

Personally I would do 2 clowns, 1 bristletooth tang species, dwarf angel (can nip softies though), 2 azure or springeri damselfish. added over the course of a couple months. Then given your ammonia nitrate and phosphate you may be able to add more fish later on.
People might be annoyed by tang but not really many other fish that can eat algae like them

Upvote 0

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High combtooth blenny if they still sell them. You can do the yellow midas as an option too.
Id do chromis. Like 6-8. You will prob have to re stock these.
Some marine catfish and a squirrelfish but im the wierdo. Lol
D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion: I would sell and upgrade the lights (i dont think a80s will support much growth in this depth tank) as well as take out the bioballs and just put a marinepure (or any other company) bioblock in the bottom fully submerged. People dont really use wet/dry in saltwater much anymore. You could also take out the carbon filter pad tray and put a hang on filter sock in the sump to help loose the trickling noise.
Looks like an asm g1 protein skimmer, they are trusty but old now, hopefully they gave you a good deal.

Personally I would do 2 clowns, 1 bristletooth tang species, dwarf angel (can nip softies though), 2 azure or springeri damselfish. added over the course of a couple months. Then given your ammonia nitrate and phosphate you may be able to add more fish later on.
People might be annoyed by tang but not really many other fish that can eat algae like them
Thank you for your input! I will look into the bio block. Could I just leave the bio balls and add the block to the bottom? Will they do any harm? I bought that skimmer many years ago when I first got into this, so I didn't get a good deal, but it still runs like a champ. That name you threw out that sounds very familiar so I would guess you are correct. I'll check out those fish! Been hearing very mixed reviews on tangs in my size tank. Thanks again! :)

Upvote 0

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the little pygmy wrasses too. Look like mystery wrasses but smaller. 2 variations when last i was buying fish. Dont forget the dwarf lionfish!
D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High combtooth blenny if they still sell them. You can do the yellow midas as an option too.
Id do chromis. Like 6-8. You will prob have to re stock these.
Some marine catfish and a squirrelfish but im the wierdo. Lol
D
These sound different, I will check them out! Ty!

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overtime I worry about the bio balls building up detritus and smelling a bit. No problem for a while. You could change to filter sock if your want through. This was the sort of product i meant

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overtime I worry about the bio balls building up detritus and smelling a bit. No problem for a while. You could change to filter sock if your want through. This was the sort of product i meant

Thanks for your help! I'm going to look into that now.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. Look into the lights too, those kessils have great resale value. Low cost replacements imo include 2 kessil a160s, 2 maxspect jump or 2 orphek or3 bars. Or you could just add to the current kessil a80s in the future if you see fit. I saw great results as well with fritzyme 9 bacteria and was able to speed up a bit of cycling and deal with early ammonia issues

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. Look into the lights too, those kessils have great resale value. Low cost replacements imo include 2 kessil a160s, 2 maxspect jump or 2 orphek or3 bars. Or you could just add to the current kessil a80s in the future if you see fit. I saw great results as well with fritzyme 9 bacteria and was able to speed up a bit of cycling and deal with early ammonia issues
I will keep you updated!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm in the process of reviving my old fowlr tank and trying to convert it to a reef tank. I see the general consensus is to now ignore the old "inch per gallon" rule when it comes to stocking the tank, so what is a realistic stock list of forgiving and hardy fish/corals/inverts for my size tank and setup? I understand some fish produce more waste than others, but I don't know which ones are dirty and which ones are "cleaner". I also know I can't add them all at once, but I'm looking for like an end goal list. The only thing I am dead set on is a pair of clowns (of course) and that I only want to keep softies to start with. No LPS or SPS just yet. I'm curious to see your suggestions and I appreciate your time. :) Below I will attach some photos and run you through my equipment. Sorry the water looks a bit cloudy just did a water change and moved the sand bed a bit.

54 gallon corner tank
55lbs of live rock
~1" sand bed of Carib sea live sand
Two hydor kurrila 425 powerheads
Eshoppes over flow box
Two Kessil A80 lights
Eheim Jager 150w heater
Sump underneath with carbon filter pad and bio balls
Aquamag 700gph return pump
Protein skimmer recommended by LFS (forget the name and brand of it)
100gpd 4 stage RODI unit
IO salt
A8E19648-22F5-44DE-8A4C-DB2999A01DCE.jpeg

3E98F4E2-96E4-4A44-B77E-1D3D6F1130F7.jpeg

8F8D72B4-C601-4C6E-808D-E7906A19F746.jpeg
Just an update: I've decided on a rough draft stock list for the tank. Does anyone see any issues or complications with this for this size tank? Could I fit more? Should I add less?
Fish:
-2 Oc. Clowns
-Yellow watchman goby
-lawnmower/star/tailspot blenny
-fire fish
-royal gramma

Inverts:
-1 cleaner shrip
-1 serpent sea star
-1 pincushion urchin (if needed for algae)
-1 pistol shrimp
-10 assorted hermits
-10 assorted snails

Corals:
-Pulsing Xenia (On its own separate rock)
-Assorted Zoas
-GSP (Also on its own island rock)

Side note: I have also swapped out the bioballs for a refugium with chaeto in my sump if that makes any difference in my bio load. Pics below. As always Thanks for your time!
FFBB04A1-FF00-4A4B-BA98-1299C66F0660.jpeg

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back