Stocking 13.5 Gallon Tank

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is my first time making a saltwater tank and first time posting! Thanks for the helpful threads so far :)

I was planning to only have corals in my aquarium but my roommate convinced me adding fish would be better. I like the idea so I am considering what to get.

So far:
-Pistol Shrimp
-Yellow watchman goby
-Clownfish

Would two clownfish be too much? What should I do about a clean-up crew? I have a thick layer of live sand (around 2") and some live rock which are cycling right now.

Should I add the corals I want first? Do the corals benefit from other livestock at all?

Thank you!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do 2 clownfish. Just avoid maroons and other large ones. However, less fish means less waste and an easier tank to maintain (proper filter media and water changes will control it though). Start them small. Add corals after fish and clean up crew. The corals benefit from fish as they need nitrogen and such that comes from the end result of fish poop. It is possible to do corals only if you provide them food (a nitrogen and to a lesser extent phosphorus source that they need). Add the clean up crew maybe a week after fish fish and slowly add them (make sure to give hermits some shells to grow in to. I had this tank a few years back and it was fun :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back