Stocking 20 gal peninsula suggestions

aciak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 20 gallon peninsula that’s been running for about a year. I had a royal gramma and clownfish and both died from disease back in July. Definitely quarantining this time around. The tank has been fallow since then. I’m about ready to add fish back. Good rock work for hiding and some decent open space too. My CUC is a trochus, a couple ceriths and a couple blue hermits.

I’d like a mixture of fish that sort of stays in the open water, something that perches and maybe one more that likes the rock work. My tank is below. I’m thinking for Phase 1 that I’d definitely like a Yellow Clown Goby and Red Firefish. I’m not totally sure on Phase 2. My clown before hosted a wavemaker but I didn’t have a lot of coral in the tank at the time for it to host otherwise. What do you think of my ideas below? Any other suggestions?

1704848556424.jpeg

PHASE 1:
Yellow Clown goby YES
Firefish goby YES
+
Yellow watchman goby
OR
Tailspot blenny
OR
Chalk bass
OR
Neon goby

PHASE 2:
Pink streak wrasse
OR
Clownfish
OR
Geometric Pygmy hawkfish
OR
Possum wrasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 20 gallon peninsula that’s been running for about a year. I had a royal gramma and clownfish and both died from disease back in July. Definitely quarantining this time around. The tank has been fallow since then. I’m about ready to add fish back. Good rock work for hiding and some decent open space too. My CUC is a trochus, a couple ceriths and a couple blue hermits.

I’d like a mixture of fish that sort of stays in the open water, something that perches and maybe one more that likes the rock work. My tank is below. I’m thinking for Phase 1 that I’d definitely like a Yellow Clown Goby and Red Firefish. I’m not totally sure on Phase 2. My clown before hosted a wavemaker but I didn’t have a lot of coral in the tank at the time for it to host otherwise. What do you think of my ideas below? Any other suggestions?

1704848556424.jpeg

PHASE 1:
Yellow Clown goby YES
Firefish goby YES
+
Yellow watchman goby
OR
Tailspot blenny
OR
Chalk bass
OR
Neon goby

PHASE 2:
Pink streak wrasse
OR
Clownfish
OR
Geometric Pygmy hawkfish
OR
Possum wrasse
I’d go Pink Streak in first. However, the issue comes with quarantine - I’ve yet to manage one past that phase. I tend to just throw them into my system straight away. If you are going to QT fish, get them from an LFS that quarantines as if it’s done wrong it can and will often do more harm than good.

In phase one, I would go for the first option however swap the watchman goby for another species of ‘shrimp’ goby. I’d go for one from the Stonogobiops or Amblyeleotris genera instead of a Cryptocentrus species. Personally, I’d go for a Yasha Goby or a Randall’s Goby as I personally prefer the vibrant colours on a white body.

The rest of the idea seems good to me and if you do want just small fish and low bioload fish, you could add more than just 4 fish. You could have maybe 5-6 in that tank size as long as you stay within the peaceful and small species. I.e. no clownfish, no larger blennies (like bicolour and Midas blennies). But you could have smaller blennies like Tailspot and Twin Spot (Bimaculatus).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice looking LPS heavy tank.

I like your thoughts about fish.

I would, personally, probably do
clown goby
firefish
smaller watchman goby and shrimp
Either pink streak or one of the species of possum wrasse

With that chill of a group, I don't think order will matter a whole lot. The watchman will probably be the most aggressive, which is saying something.

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a Pink Streak, I usually go to Dr. Reef for my fish, but they rarely get Pink Streak I guess, and they dont ship well I'm told.

OP
OP
A

aciak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go Pink Streak in first. However, the issue comes with quarantine - I’ve yet to manage one past that phase. I tend to just throw them into my system straight away. If you are going to QT fish, get them from an LFS that quarantines as if it’s done wrong it can and will often do more harm than good.

In phase one, I would go for the first option however swap the watchman goby for another species of ‘shrimp’ goby. I’d go for one from the Stonogobiops or Amblyeleotris genera instead of a Cryptocentrus species. Personally, I’d go for a Yasha Goby or a Randall’s Goby as I personally prefer the vibrant colours on a white body.

The rest of the idea seems good to me and if you do want just small fish and low bioload fish, you could add more than just 4 fish. You could have maybe 5-6 in that tank size as long as you stay within the peaceful and small species. I.e. no clownfish, no larger blennies (like bicolour and Midas blennies). But you could have smaller blennies like Tailspot and Twin Spot (Bimaculatus).
Thanks for the thoughts on a pink streak. I’m not privy to an LFS locally that quarantines. The LFS I bought the gramma and clown from that died from disease said they QT’ed. Well, so much for that. If anyone knows an LFS in New England with good QT process- let me know! If I got a pink streak I was considering dr reef.

Love the idea of a Yasha or Randall’s. I think I’m going to go with the Yasha. After looking at a few pics I really like their color contrast too.

I’m almost leaning towards the smaller/more fish idea. I briefly thought about maybe an azure damsel for a larger fish but I’ve heard they can be aggressive. A tank with more smaller peaceful fish I’m okay with!

OP
OP
A

aciak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice looking LPS heavy tank.

I like your thoughts about fish.

I would, personally, probably do
clown goby
firefish
smaller watchman goby and shrimp
Either pink streak or one of the species of possum wrasse

With that chill of a group, I don't think order will matter a whole lot. The watchman will probably be the most aggressive, which is saying something.
Thanks! I’ve had a ton of fun with it the past year. My only problem… I want a bigger tank haha

OP
OP
A

aciak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, another question- let’s say I go dr reef for all my fish. I know being aware of bioload is certainly a thing. Would it be safe for me to purchase, say, three of these small fish in one shot and add them all at once? Again, I really want to be sensitive of the bioload. Although I know they’d all be pretty small fish. Frankly, shipping is pricy. But I don’t want to screw things up at the expense of being frugal either.

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, another question- let’s say I go dr reef for all my fish. I know being aware of bioload is certainly a thing. Would it be safe for me to purchase, say, three of these small fish in one shot and add them all at once? Again, I really want to be sensitive of the bioload. Although I know they’d all be pretty small fish. Frankly, shipping is pricy. But I don’t want to screw things up at the expense of being frugal either.
That's how I did it and it seemed to work out alright.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would track ammonia, but I will bet that tank full of corals and rock will process it just fine.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Midas Blenny and a couple of small clowns with a nem. Midas blennys are like dogs... while uglier but still fun to watch, a Lawnmower blenny will keep your rocks clean.

mgh723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy all 3 at once? I am curious how it went as I’m thinkIng about doing the same.

mgh723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope not yet. Probably going to do that this week. I’ll let you know how it goes!
I bought two fish from biota and they get here Friday. Yellow watchman goby and a clown goby which will both be extremely small.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back