Stocking 36 Gallon Reef

Ryan98720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I've been posting about this build for a while and it has been pretty slow going unfortuatly... I finally have the tank drilled, the 10 gallon DIY sump assembled and plumbed... Leak checked... Rocks set... I am planning on adding water and sand this weekend and using a bottle of Dr. Tim's to get the cycle started... My next step is considering my stocking options so I add the proper things first... I know that I will need to hold of on corals for a while...

Livestock
2 Oscilarius Clown Fish
1 Randall's Goby/ Pistol shrimp pair
1 Longnose Hawk fish
1 Bangai Cardinal
1 Blenny

Corals (Eventually)
GSP
Pulsing Xenia
Zoas
(Any other suggestions welcome)

Ultimately if someone could tell me if they think this combination would work... And any suggestions on the order... I would appreciate it :)

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I've been posting about this build for a while and it has been pretty slow going unfortuatly... I finally have the tank drilled, the 10 gallon DIY sump assembled and plumbed... Leak checked... Rocks set... I am planning on adding water and sand this weekend and using a bottle of Dr. Tim's to get the cycle started... My next step is considering my stocking options so I add the proper things first... I know that I will need to hold of on corals for a while...

Livestock
2 Oscilarius Clown Fish
1 Randall's Goby/ Pistol shrimp pair
1 Longnose Hawk fish
1 Bangai Cardinal
1 Blenny

Corals (Eventually)
GSP
Pulsing Xenia
Zoas
(Any other suggestions welcome)

Ultimately if someone could tell me if they think this combination would work... And any suggestions on the order... I would appreciate it :)
Shy fish first and then the most aggressive fish last.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my thoughts

(1 or 2)2 Oscilarius Clown Fish
(1 or 2)1 Randall's Goby/ Pistol shrimp pair
(??)1 Longnose Hawk fish
(3)1 Bangai Cardinal
(4)1 Blenny

Do Hawk fish eat shrimp? I thought they did?

OP
OP
R

Ryan98720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@New&no clue I have seen posts about them possibly eating shrimp... Im hoping that with the goby shrimp pair they would be okay... I also was planning on getting the smallest hawk that I can find... Ive read on some other forums that people have kept a pistol shrimp goby pair and hawk fish without any issues.... its a risk, but I think im willing to take it! Especially if I get the goby/shrimp first and then add the hawk...

Are the red numbers out beside each fish recommendations on how many to get? I dont want to get too many and have too much of a bioload than what I can deal with... But do you think I could support that many? Sorry! Really new to this! I was originally going to do a 10 gallon reef, but was able to find a 36 gallon bowfront for cheap

Avocaadotoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@New&no clue I have seen posts about them possibly eating shrimp... Im hoping that with the goby shrimp pair they would be okay... I also was planning on getting the smallest hawk that I can find... Ive read on some other forums that people have kept a pistol shrimp goby pair and hawk fish without any issues.... its a risk, but I think im willing to take it! Especially if I get the goby/shrimp first and then add the hawk...

Are the red numbers out beside each fish recommendations on how many to get? I dont want to get too many and have too much of a bioload than what I can deal with... But do you think I could support that many? Sorry! Really new to this! I was originally going to do a 10 gallon reef, but was able to find a 36 gallon bowfront for cheap
I believe the red numbers listed are the stocking order on when to add them into your tank

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back