Stocking a 180 gallon tank

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello folks, I am making a 180 gallon ray tank and want a few fish, I want them to be cleaner fish if possible, They also can't pick at the rays eyes, any suggestions? the display does not have live rock

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the first question, is which ray species do you plan to keep? They vary greatly in size, so figuring out the ultimate size of the ray will help with determining an appropriate group of fish.

Remember that rays are carnivores, and in most cases, won't hesitate to take down smaller fish. While rays can find shelter by burying themselves in sand, many fish will need shelter in order to feel secure enough to come out and do their duties.

If the tank is just glass + sand and no rock, then I wouldn't bother with many of the "cleaner" species. You can quite easily take care of cleaning the glass by yourself, which leaves the sandbed, and waste brought on by rays feeding. A ray should churn up the sandbed quite a lot, but if not, then you're going to want a robust fish that will disturb the sandbed to keep the detritus in suspension, but will also get large enough that a ray won't be able to successfully attack it. My personal opinion is that you should just take a gravel vacuum when cleaning the tank to keep the sand overturned as opposed to relying on a fish to turn the sandbed over.

With that being said.... @Jay Hemdal , what are your thoughts on keeping goatfish (Parupuneus cyclostoma or P. barberinoides) with smaller rays? I can't imagine them going after the eyes, but there's always a chance of predation.

The only other fish I typically think of when it comes to ray/shark cohabitation are other predatory fish like lionfish, or very large tankmates like tuna (which, you cannot keep in a 180).

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Cortez rays would be your best long term bet, but 180 seems a little small to me. Have you considered a freshwater setup? Generally cheaper and I believe the rays are smaller and more diverse.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Cortez rays would be your best long term bet, but 180 seems a little small to me. Have you considered a freshwater setup? Generally cheaper and I believe the rays are smaller and more diverse.

Actually, all but one of the FW rays grow huge - I have a female motoro that is the size of a trash can lid, and I've seen them 3' across.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello folks, I am making a 180 gallon ray tank and want a few fish, I want them to be cleaner fish if possible, They also can't pick at the rays eyes, any suggestions? the display does not have live rock

A 180 is pretty small for most ray species. When you say "cleaner fish" you don't mean parasite cleaners do you? Those never seem to work out with rays.
I would be hard pressed to come up with a species of ray that can live as an adult in a 180 - perhaps the cortez ray as mentioned. A bit larger would be the Caribbean yellow ray. Blue spot rays are imported small, but they get larger and are pretty delicate.

Jay

Well, the first question, is which ray species do you plan to keep? They vary greatly in size, so figuring out the ultimate size of the ray will help with determining an appropriate group of fish.

Remember that rays are carnivores, and in most cases, won't hesitate to take down smaller fish. While rays can find shelter by burying themselves in sand, many fish will need shelter in order to feel secure enough to come out and do their duties.

If the tank is just glass + sand and no rock, then I wouldn't bother with many of the "cleaner" species. You can quite easily take care of cleaning the glass by yourself, which leaves the sandbed, and waste brought on by rays feeding. A ray should churn up the sandbed quite a lot, but if not, then you're going to want a robust fish that will disturb the sandbed to keep the detritus in suspension, but will also get large enough that a ray won't be able to successfully attack it. My personal opinion is that you should just take a gravel vacuum when cleaning the tank to keep the sand overturned as opposed to relying on a fish to turn the sandbed over.

With that being said.... @Jay Hemdal , what are your thoughts on keeping goatfish (Parupuneus cyclostoma or P. barberinoides) with smaller rays? I can't imagine them going after the eyes, but there's always a chance of predation.

The only other fish I typically think of when it comes to ray/shark cohabitation are other predatory fish like lionfish, or very large tankmates like tuna (which, you cannot keep in a 180).
Right, goatfish are safe with rays, but the larger rays *might* try to eat them.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 180 is pretty small for most ray species. When you say "cleaner fish" you don't mean parasite cleaners do you? Those never seem to work out with rays.
I would be hard pressed to come up with a species of ray that can live as an adult in a 180 - perhaps the cortez ray as mentioned. A bit larger would be the Caribbean yellow ray. Blue spot rays are imported small, but they get larger and are pretty delicate.

Jay

Right, goatfish are safe with rays, but the larger rays *might* try to eat them.

Jay
yes it is a cortez ray

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Jay
When I say cleaner I mean something that can flip the sandbed a bit more, I thought diamond back goby but figured out hes a gourmet treat, I was thinking goatfish but I would need to setup z auto feeder as I can't feed 4 to 5 times a day, as I have school 8 to 3 normally, What about tangs, foxface, and large angels? I was more thinking that body type.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say cleaner I mean something that can flip the sandbed a bit more, I thought diamond back goby but figured out hes a gourmet treat, I was thinking goatfish but I would need to setup z auto feeder as I can't feed 4 to 5 times a day, as I have school 8 to 3 normally, What about tangs, foxface, and large angels? I was more thinking that body type.
All of those will allegedly pick at the eyes, and aren’t going to do a great job at turning the sandbed over.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish. The main concern here, is the lack of cover you’re providing. If it’s just sand, then few fish will be able to be in the tank stress free. And of those fish, they burrow at night to keep away from predators. And you know what eats fish that like to burrow?

Rays.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish. The main concern here, is the lack of cover you’re providing. If it’s just sand, then few fish will be able to be in the tank stress free. And of those fish, they burrow at night to keep away from predators. And you know what eats fish that like to burrow?

Rays.
frick, I plan on adding a small structure of live rock in a corner because I want a goby that will chill, I know he might end up being a snack though, does that change anything?

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rays.
If there is a area for them to hide if needed what can I do, should have mentioned that earlier

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a bigger tank for a ray, and then you can get larger tank-mates that won’t be lunch.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a bigger tank for a ray, and then you can get larger tank-mates that won’t be lunch.
dude lay off, why do you keep coming to me with negative comments, Cortez rays can be in a 180 gallon tank, second I might not to other fish I didn't intend to but I ask a question you just say something negative, at least try to be helpful smh

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude lay off, why do you keep coming to me with negative comments, Cortez rays can be in a 180 gallon tank, second I might not to other fish I didn't intend to but I ask a question you just say something negative, at least try to be helpful smh

Was trying to be helpful.

First hit when I google says 300g Min

I’m sure that 120g differential is common.

This one says 360 gallon minimum, and goes into details as to why that size........

You also won’t be able to provide enough cover to safely keep a goby. If you want sand sifting, perhaps there are stars that rays don’t eat, but I’m not sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was trying to be helpful.

First hit when I google says 300g Min

I’m sure that 120g differential is common.

This one says 360 gallon minimum, and goes into details as to why that size........

You also won’t be able to provide enough cover to safely keep a goby. If you want sand sifting, perhaps there are stars that rays don’t eat, but I’m not sure.
I have misspoken, I ment Hallers ray, they get 10 inches max My tank would be 7 times its length, and 2 times its width, Rays won't eat from what I've heard large starfish, I've always wanted a choclate chip star, I'm probably not gonna do other fish, I was just curious if there was some fish, if I can setup a auto feeder I'll get some goatfish I think, sorry that I got upset, that was childish

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have misspoken, I ment Hallers ray, they get 10 inches max My tank would be 7 times its length, and 2 times its width, Rays won't eat from what I've heard large starfish, I've always wanted a choclate chip star, I'm probably not gonna do other fish, I was just curious if there was some fish, if I can setup a auto feeder I'll get some goatfish I think, sorry that I got upset, that was childish

If sandbed stirring is your goal, I would plan on several stars then (assuming you’re right about rats not eating them)

Chocolate Chips are pretty easy to keep I believe...... I don’t know much about stars, because every one I have wanted (blue linkia etc) that are reef safe are impossible to keep alive, or I’ve just never seen them in my local shops.

Blue linkia not being that appealing to me, but there are some REALLY neat stars out there, but again, many are impossible to keep in an aquarium, or require sand, something I don’t have.

Edit: I’d have to look, but there is someone selling a Haller’s in the livestock forum here.

Edit again:

It’s @Acroporakiller

He’s not “too” far away from you either.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If sandbed stirring is your goal, I would plan on several stars then (assuming you’re right about rats not eating them)

Chocolate Chips are pretty easy to keep I believe...... I don’t know much about stars, because every one I have wanted (blue linkia etc) that are reef safe are impossible to keep alive, or I’ve just never seen them in my local shops.

Blue linkia not being that appealing to me, but there are some REALLY neat stars out there, but again, many are impossible to keep in an aquarium, or require sand, something I don’t have.

Edit: I’d have to look, but there is someone selling a Haller’s in the livestock forum here.

Edit again:

It’s @Acroporakiller

He’s not “too” far away from you either.
your right about blue linkia, there known as real hard to keep, I have a LFS with them, and I trust them, I've talked with acroporakiller but I don't wanna drive more then a hour, mostly cause of fear of the animal dying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rays.
I'll check out lions, maybe I'll add one smaller species, like zebras, or dwarf, I did get stung once and its not pleasant though, I want the ray to be what people look at in the tank, so I don't wanna distract from him, so I'll probably not do any fish with him, I am going to buy my fish tank though, its 120 dollars acrylic 180 gallon! its used but in good shape!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back