Stocking a 33g

ggr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so recently i have been wanting to get a third tank but i do not what i can put in it, i have made a list of all fish that i would like to put in there but cannot find out which i can actually put in there. For instance i would like to have some wrasse as they are one of my favorite fish but i do not know which i can use, as i do not like possum wrasse, tanaka pygmy wrasse, pink striped wrasse or sixlines as sixlines are to aggressive. Anyways could anyone comment on what i can put in there out of this list:

sand sifiting goby
clowns
cardinals
midas blenny
yellow coris wrasse
radiant wrasse
royal gramma
coral beauty angel/ cherub angel/ flame angel
yellow watchman goby
longnose hawkfish
naoko fairy wrasse
silverbelly wrasse
leopard wrasse
pintail fairy wrasse
lubbocks fairy wrasse
mandarinfish
cleaner shrimp

Thanks

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot comment the wrasses (I don’t know a lot about them, but here’s my input for the ones I do know:

Clowns - definitely can go in that size tank, just watch as they can be evil.
Cardinals - would be fine.
Midas blenny - should be fine.
Royal gramma - one of my favorite reef fish and will always get my vote (it will be good).
Dwarf angel - I’d go with the cherub or a flameback, the rest are a bit to large to be comfortable in a 33, though this can vary based on dimensions.
Yellow watchman - this or any other shrimpgoby will be great (I’d get a pistol shrimp to go with it).
Longnose hawk - I’ve seen mixed info, if not it than any smaller species of hawk would be okay, probably would be fine though.
Mandarin dragonet - unless you have a way of having a strong pod population or the means to provide lots of food, you may want to pass on the dragonet (if you get one, get a captive bred one as they are easier to get onto prepared foods), a wrasse would also compete with it.
Cleaner shrimp - would be fine.

OP
OP
G

ggr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, for dwarf angels you said that they would not be comfortable in a 33g but it can vary based on dimensions, how long of a tank would it have to be to keep one comfortably?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes a lot to length vs width for fish that swim a lot. Something like a biocube 32 (2 by 2) doesn’t offer much swimming room like a 3 foot tank does. I’m getting a coral beauty for my 40 breeder (36 by 18 inches), I’d be much more hesitant to have one in a regular 40 due to less width. Angels do nip a coral so you want to be sure they have lots of room to spread out and minimize that risk.
What dimensions are the 33 gallon? The small angels like cherub and flameback (not the same as a flame angel) as I mentioned would be okay.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm against all those wrasses personally they are too active and some too big for a tank that size. It would be cramped. There are some smaller wrasses though such as the possum wrasses of the Wetmorella genus and the pink-streaked wrasse pseudocheilinops ataenia.

A cherub angel should be fine in there. Add it last.

Instead of a yellow watchman consider the hi-fin goby or the yasha goby. Smaller but will pair with a shrimp and prettier IMO. YWG are so basic!

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, so recently i have been wanting to get a third tank but i do not what i can put in it, i have made a list of all fish that i would like to put in there but cannot find out which i can actually put in there. For instance i would like to have some wrasse as they are one of my favorite fish but i do not know which i can use, as i do not like possum wrasse, tanaka pygmy wrasse, pink striped wrasse or sixlines as sixlines are to aggressive. Anyways could anyone comment on what i can put in there out of this list:

sand sifiting goby
clowns
cardinals
midas blenny
yellow coris wrasse
radiant wrasse
royal gramma
yellow watchman goby
longnose hawkfish
naoko fairy wrasse
silverbelly wrasse
leopard wrasse
pintail fairy wrasse
lubbocks fairy wrasse
mandarinfish
cleaner shrimp

Thanks
Who doesn’t like possum wrasse? Jeez. The OP I guess. Lol

OP
OP
G

ggr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dimensions are the 33 gallon?
L81cm x W36cm x H50cm
Instead of a yellow watchman consider the hi-fin goby or the yasha goby. Smaller but will pair with a shrimp and prettier IMO. YWG are so basic!
I agree completely however i think it is a quite iconic fish so i am a bit torn between the yasha and ywg but i suppose ill figure it out soon

Who doesn’t like possum wrasse?
i know, i find most people like them but i do not like the body shape and that put me off so i guess i might warm to the idea in the future but as of right now it is just not appealing lol

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would help in offering alternatives to the wrasse if you explain what about those species of wrasse you like. Do you want that sort of behavior? Or their hunting style? Or just the colors? There are fish that behave similarly, fish that have pretty colors, fish that hunt like them, etc.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also could consider a starcki damsel instead of the dwarf angel. I still think a cherub would be fine but the starcki damsel looks quite similar and is much more confidently reef-safe.

1648666684746.png

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensions are definitely good for the small angels like Cherub or flameback.
I like my aurora goby for a shrimpgoby:
B13816EE-5529-4AC1-8276-2BEB1FE03CD0.jpeg
296EAD2D-C817-49AB-A3C4-5AAE95B39D22.jpeg

The amblyeliotris genus is great - they have really nice colors and patterns like a stonogobiops (Yasha or highfin) but the size of a cryptocentrus (yellow watchman).

OP
OP
G

ggr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would help in offering alternatives to the wrasse if you explain what about those species of wrasse you like. Do you want that sort of behavior? Or their hunting style? Or just the colors? There are fish that behave similarly, fish that have pretty colors, fish that hunt like them, etc.
i like the colouration, curiosity, and body shape mainly

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sand sifiting goby
clowns
cardinals
midas blenny
yellow coris wrasse
radiant wrasse
royal gramma
yellow watchman goby
longnose hawkfish
naoko fairy wrasse
silverbelly wrasse
leopard wrasse
pintail fairy wrasse
lubbocks fairy wrasse
mandarinfish
cleaner shrimp

Thanks
To me, decide how peaceful a community you want. For me cardinals aren’t active enough. My clown is an absolute jerk. But he and the dottyback are about same level. Nobody messes with my mandarin unless he gets too close to the dottyback’s “spot.” (I feed mine frozen blood worms and he loves them)

Don’t get a damsel unless you are upping the aggressive factor. In my tank both aggressive fish nipped and eventually killed my cherub. I liked that fish. I’d have ditched the clown to keep him.

OP
OP
G

ggr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, decide how peaceful a community you want. For me cardinals aren’t active enough. My clown is an absolute jerk. But he and the dottyback are about same level. Nobody messes with my mandarin unless he gets too close to the dottyback’s “spot.” (I feed mine frozen blood worms and he loves them)

Don’t get a damsel unless you are upping the aggressive factor. In my tank both aggressive fish nipped and eventually killed my cherub. I liked that fish. I’d have ditched the clown to keep him.

Yeah, i agree, i don't mind to much in terms of aggression levels unless it is bad for the animals. For me a bit of territorial aggression is ok but for instance one fish chasing another around and just bullying it is not worth it at all

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
L81cm x W36cm x H50cm

I agree completely however i think it is a quite iconic fish so i am a bit torn between the yasha and ywg but i suppose ill figure it out soon

i know, i find most people like them but i do not like the body shape and that put me off so i guess i might warm to the idea in the future but as of right now it is just not appealing lol
Get a yasha. I have one and it’s nice to see it. When I do. Lost in the display but makes appearances

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the ones in the genus Chrysiptera are pretty peaceful. Certainly as likely to be peaceful as any clown or royal gramma if not moreso. I have no had a starcki but everything I have read and heard from others has been positive.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back