Stocking a 65 Gallon

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to start adding fish on a 65 Gallon. I've got some ideas, but nothing I'm set on. The only inhabitants now are some hermits, an urchin, snails, and a purple firefish.

How would you stock a mixed (mostly going to be LPS/softie) 65 gallon reef?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your doing it right. You gotta let us know what you like first! My ideals for a 65 are probably gonna be completely different than yours!

That being said I would start with the only tang appropriate for that size tank, a bristletooth/kole

Engineer goby is also a super underrated fish, when they mature they get extremely long and look like eels and are really interesting while also being reef safe/ez

OP
OP
Woodyman

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your doing it right. You gotta let us know what you like first! My ideals for a 65 are probably gonna be completely different than yours!

That being said I would start with the only tang appropriate for that size tank, a bristletooth/kole

Engineer goby is also a super underrated fish, when they mature they get extremely long and look like eels and are really interesting while also being reef safe/ez

No no! I want your ideas! I have a vague idea of what was planned for the tank, but I'm more interested in what others would do. Trying to mix up my usual, and would like to see how others would stock this tank.

Only requirements currently are reef safe and will get along with my purple firefish and the hermits/snails.

The Tomini has been considered, but never thought about the engineer goby! That's what I'm looking for is more ideas!

Thank you!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start off by saying that although the Tomini is one of the smallest Tangs, it really needs a minimum of a 4ft 75 gallon tank. So your 36” won’t be suitable for a Tang. A 65 still limits you to fish in the 4” range IMO if they’re swimmers and not perching or bottom dwelling fish. A smaller species of dwarf angel would be my suggestion in place of a Tang.

Depending on how much of a risk you want to take with inverts, a Hawkfish would make a cool addition IMO with the Flame and Longnose being relatively more peaceful.

Basslets such as the Royal Gramma and Black Cap, as well as the Reef Basslets and Assessors are pretty but shy additions.

An Azure Damselfish is small, has nice colors, and isn’t too bad for a Damsel.

Cardinalfish are another possibility.

Small Fairy Wrasses and Flasher Wrasses.

Shrimp and Goby pairs.

Blennies.

Marine Betta (they get slightly larger but aren’t active fish, need a nice cave). If you pick one make sure to not have aggressive tank mates and make it your centerpiece.

Orchid Dottyback.

These are just some of the options for you to consider.

OP
OP
Woodyman

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start off by saying that although the Tomini is one of the smallest Tangs, it really needs a minimum of a 4ft 75 gallon tank. So your 36” won’t be suitable for a Tang. A 65 still limits you to fish in the 4” range IMO if they’re swimmers and not perching or bottom dwelling fish. A smaller species of dwarf angel would be my suggestion in place of a Tang.

Depending on how much of a risk you want to take with inverts, a Hawkfish would make a cool addition IMO with the Flame and Longnose being relatively more peaceful.

Basslets such as the Royal Gramma and Black Cap, as well as the Reef Basslets and Assessors are pretty but shy additions.

Shrimp and Goby pairs.

Blennies.

Marine Betta (they get slightly larger but aren’t active fish, need a nice cave). If you pick one make sure to not have aggressive tank mates and make it your centerpiece.

Orchid Dottyback.

Thank you for the helpful insights, this was my goal for this thread! I would have never thought of putting in a hawkfish. The dotty and basslets had already been considered as well!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shrimp and Goby pairs.

Blennies.

Orchid Dottyback.

I wouldn’t do a flasher wrasse in anything less than a 4’ tank due to how they tend to dash into things in shorter tanks. For smaller fairy wrasses the best group of wrasses is the Lubbocki complex, the species in this complex are:
- C. lubbocki
- C. adornatus
- C. flavidorsalis
- C. cenderwasih
- C. walindi
- C. marjorie
Most of these wrasses stay on the peaceful side but it’s not recommended to mix them either. Other fish I’d recommend are:
- Lineatus/most blenn
- Yellow assessor
- Cherub or African Flame Back Angelfish
- Hooded Fairy Wrasse
- Lunate/Pintail Fairy Wrasse
- Smaller Halichoeres Wrasse
- Most Leopard Wrasses
There are more fish I’d recommend but that’s just a smaller list of them. As above I’d stick to fish that grow to 4” or less, preferably 2-3”. If you want a natural tank I’d do 2-3” fish for most of them then have a 4” fish as the main display and the largest fish.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. You’re very knowledgeable as always. I think yeah when we consider the amount of swimming Flasher Wrasses and many Fairy Wrasses do, a tank shorter than 4’ won’t be enough for most of them.

I like Assessors, just almost impossible to find in Asia.

OP
OP
Woodyman

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after taking into account the above I'm down to the following list . Long nose hawkfish, engineer goby (?), Purple dottyback or royal Gramma, leopard wrasse.

What would you guys pick as a centerpiece/s?

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after taking into account the above I'm down to the following list . Long nose hawkfish, engineer goby (?), Purple dottyback or royal Gramma, leopard wrasse.

A centerpiece you can have many stunning fish… the engineer goby is interesting looking for sure…. Dwarf Angles are good to watch glide around, perching fish are nice, goby’s and wrassses of all colors etc

OP
OP
Woodyman

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A centerpiece you can have many stunning fish… the engineer goby is interesting looking for sure…. Dwarf Angles are good to watch glide around, perching fish are nice, goby’s and wrassses of all colors etc

By centerpiece I am meaning the most active and visible, this is more for the wife/kiddo. I enjoy all aspects, but they want something with a little personality that is going to be visible throughout the day.

Goby/wrasse from my experience doesn't fit the bill. Not sure about the hawkfish, grammas seem to be fairly active and visible, but I've never actually had one.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d do a Leopard wrasse (Specifically either the Black or a Meleagris). These fish have a curious personality and will go in and out of the rocks hunting for pods. They will eat regular foods but the meleagris and bipartitus leopards are better when it comes to training them. Here’s my Blue Star Leopard (M. bipartitus) juvenile. I somehow got lucky and managed to find a .5” juvenile that was eating and just about 6 months later, she’s 1” and thriving. Here’s a photo of my Blue Star, all leopards have this body shape except the Moyers and Kuiters who have elongated bodies.
82F5A003-3839-4CE7-98C7-6048A0F59294.jpeg

Yes she is in my nano however if I put her into the large display with more aggressive wrasses and fish at this size, she would probably get killed. When she hits 3-4” I will move her (Hopefully I don’t have a male… I dislike the male leopards unless it’s the black leopard or a choati).

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By centerpiece I am meaning the most active and visible, this is more for the wife/kiddo. I enjoy all aspects, but they want something with a little personality that is going to be visible throughout the day.

Goby/wrasse from my experience doesn't fit the bill. Not sure about the hawkfish, grammas seem to be fairly active and visible, but I've never actually had one.
I guess it depends on your luck(some fish are more outgoing then others in the same species) will also depend on surroundings if the tank is in an office or busy home some fish that normally stay out and swim will go and hide. I have a clown goby that I recently got and from day one in the tank it’s the most comfortable swimming around and perching in plain sight, doesn’t run when someone walks up to the tank. Maybe you can look up marine beta fish they seem to be exotic looking

OP
OP
Woodyman

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other fish that was considered was a captive breed mandarin. I feel like a 65 might be a little small for both a leopard and a mandarin. Tank has ~70 lbs of rock in the display, and another ~ lbs of rubble in the sump.

OP
OP
Woodyman

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on your luck(some fish are more outgoing then others in the same species) will also depend on surroundings if the tank is in an office or busy home some fish that normally stay out and swim will go and hide. I have a clown goby that I recently got and from day one in the tank it’s the most comfortable swimming around and perching in plain sight, doesn’t run when someone walks up to the tank. Maybe you can look up marine beta fish they seem to be exotic looking

They just want something to look at when they go by the tank. Something that doesn't hide, which is why I think I will also add a clown pair. I had considered moving the clowns I have now from my nano, but who knows maybe I'll buy another pair for the 65.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Black Clown Goby and I actually disagree with you on the fact if it’s in a busy room then it’ll probably be slightly more shy. My 11 fish in my 4’ tank are WAY more active and “playful” in a room that a lot of people are in compared to how every fish in my nano are more playful when people are in the room.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back