Copperband butterfly fish
Yellow eel goby
A few red firefish
Leopard wrasse
Mandarin goby
Blue spotted tamarin wrasse
Naokes fairy wrasse
Long nose hawkfish

I have a very good filtration system, 60 pounds of live rock, an 3” sand bed, and a refugium with plenty of pod will this work?
Why or why not?
Thanks!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow eel goby
A few red firefish
Leopard wrasse
Mandarin goby
Naokes fairy wrasse
Long nose hawkfish
are you planning to get all of these fish or just one or two from the list?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are only gonna be able to add one or two fish from the list depending on size/activity of the fish, this is just based off the current tank stocking.

copperband gets too large for this tank
yellow eel goby (not sure havent had, but i think these also get large)
leopard wrasse, fine if you can get one that is eating
mandarin, fine
tamarin wrasse, gets too large
naokes, fine
long nose hawkfish, fine

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are only gonna be able to add one or two fish from the list depending on size/activity of the fish, this is just based off the current tank stocking.

copperband gets too large for this tank
yellow eel goby (not sure havent had, but i think these also get large)
leopard wrasse, fine if you can get one that is eating
mandarin, fine
tamarin wrasse, gets too large
naokes, fine
long nose hawkfish, fine
Instead of a tamarin wrasse, would a blue spotted jaw fish work?

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
matters if it was a reef tank or not, but im pretty sure blue spotted jaw fish need lower tank temperature than a reef tank
Ok, and also, I have an lfs who gets copperbands in who are around 3”, and already eating frozen. How long would it be before one would outgrow a 65? Because I have a 90 right not which is being used for a predator tank, and if I’m able to upgrade by the time the fish outgrows the 65, the predator fish would go into the big tank, and the fish that are in the 65 would go into the 90, would a 90 be big enough for a copperband?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, and also, I have an lfs who gets copperbands in who are around 3”, and already eating frozen. How long would it be before one would outgrow a 65? Because I have a 90 right not which is being used for a predator tank, and if I’m able to upgrade by the time the fish outgrows the 65, the predator fish would go into the big tank, and the fish that are in the 65 would go into the 90, would a 90 be big enough for a copperband?
A 90 is large enough, however even a 3” CBB isn’t going to fit into a 65G. Put it this way;
Mine thrives through constantly pecking on the rock and also having a heavy feed every day. Her growth may be insanely slow, but her activity isn’t slow. Wait until you get the 90 up, you don’t know if the upgrade will be postponed or anything.

‘Yellow Eel Gobies’ - Actually a species of brotulid and not a goby. These do get large and I believe they can get predatory, again I would avoid this.

Blue spotted Jawfish are also a bad idea, these have shortened lifespans in warm water reefs. You need a tank of 65°F in winter/Autumn then in summer/Spring you need to slowly bring it up to 75°. This is the best way to replicate their habitat in the wild however will likely stress out other fish at the same time. You could always just have a tank sat between those temperatures however again, it risks stressing out tankmates.

Tamarins get large, the smallest of this genus needs a 90G tank at the minimum. And in general, this is one of the hardest genus of wrasse to keep alive due to internal parasites and other issues they face.

All the rest look alright just be warned of potential outcompeting of food if you want a CBB and a Mandarin. I would only add 2 others are the maximum though, you’re already rather stocked for a 65G tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everywhere I looked it says a tamarin wrasse would be fine in a 50 gallon
Short term, yes, long term, no. I’m assuming the OP wants Anampses caeruleupunctatus, if so then the maximum recorded size in the wild is ≈17 inches. Now, in captivity they don’t get quite so large but they don’t stay small, usually in captivity they’ll get 10-12 inches.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short term, yes, long term, no. I’m assuming the OP wants Anampses caeruleupunctatus, if so then the maximum recorded size in the wild is ≈17 inches. Now, in captivity they don’t get quite so large but they don’t stay small, usually in captivity they’ll get 10-12 inches.
Oh I thought he wanted a yellow tail tamarin

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably add 2 or 3 more small fish to your current stock list. I have the same size DT. Add a utilitarian fish to keep pest down like a yellow coris wrasse. They are peaceful and beautiful or a purple firefish or indigo dottyback.

Attachments

• 20221106_183524.jpg
    20221106_183524.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220629_124055.jpg
    20220629_124055.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211125_144003.jpg
    20211125_144003.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 27

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have:
Pair of clowns
Blue damsel
3 chromis
Coral beauty angelfish
Blue spotted watchman’s goby
Marine beta

I want to get:
Yellow eel goby
A few red firefish
Leopard wrasse
Mandarin goby
Naokes fairy wrasse
Long nose hawkfish

I have a very good filtration system, 60 pounds of live rock, an 3” sand bed, and a refugium with plenty of pod will this work?
Why or why not?
Thanks!
You kinda Max out as it is right now. If you remove the damsel and chromis, you can add a few more fishes. i would avoid the CBB, Mandarin and the Tamarin Wrasse,

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You kinda Max out as it is right now. If you remove the damsel and chromis, you can add a few more fishes. i would avoid the CBB, Mandarin and the Tamarin Wrasse,
This has nothing to do with this thread but I see you live in corpus, do you know any good fish stores in that area?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 3 salt water fish store. Petco on Saratoga. Salty Aquarium and Fish on Everhart. And Tropical Fish Haven on McAdle. They are not bad. Healthy fish, not selling disease fishes even Petco, but inverts and corals (or rare fish) are few and far in between.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back