Stocking a reefer 170 with nothing but ORA

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! My GF surprised me with a reefer 170 she found on marketplace for my birthday and I’ve finally gotten around to doing more than dreaming about it! I almost bought what would be the first fish for it over the weekend but they sold before I got there (probably just as well- whipped up the QT that morning so a little more time for the tank to run isn’t a bad thing).

I’ve decided I would like to only have captive bred fish for several reasons and because I know my local stores can get them I’ve decided to go with ORA fish exclusively. I’ve only been in the reefing seen for a year now and I’m still not great at understanding the bioload dynamics of reef tanks so I figured I’d just ask you all for some help!

Here is the plan:

2x ocellaris (non negotiable between my gf and her mom;Hilarious) probably going to be some sort of storm.

1x red sea mimic blenny

1x Radial Filefish

1X black cardinal

I’m not sure if there would be space for all of that, I really like the black cardinal (I really love Coelacanths). These are all fish I really like but again I’m not sure if this is to much. I haven’t settled on my aquascape just yet but I’m going for a very cavern esque NSA to create a lot of space for corals and to insure my more cryptic fish choices have plenty of hidey holes to feel comfortable. I’ll attach a photo of where I’m at with the scape when I get home.

Thanks in Advance!

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! My GF surprised me with a reefer 170 she found on marketplace for my birthday and I’ve finally gotten around to doing more than dreaming about it! I almost bought what would be the first fish for it over the weekend but they sold before I got there (probably just as well- whipped up the QT that morning so a little more time for the tank to run isn’t a bad thing).

I’ve decided I would like to only have captive bred fish for several reasons and because I know my local stores can get them I’ve decided to go with ORA fish exclusively. I’ve only been in the reefing seen for a year now and I’m still not great at understanding the bioload dynamics of reef tanks so I figured I’d just ask you all for some help!

Here is the plan:

2x ocellaris (non negotiable between my gf and her mom;Hilarious) probably going to be some sort of storm.

1x red sea mimic blenny

1x Radial Filefish

1X black cardinal

I’m not sure if there would be space for all of that, I really like the black cardinal (I really love Coelacanths). These are all fish I really like but again I’m not sure if this is to much. I haven’t settled on my aquascape just yet but I’m going for a very cavern esque NSA to create a lot of space for corals and to insure my more cryptic fish choices have plenty of hidey holes to feel comfortable. I’ll attach a photo of where I’m at with the scape when I get home.

Thanks in Advance!
It sounds like you're on the right track, just make sure the tank is cycled before you add the fish.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you're on the right track, just make sure the tank is cycled before you add the fish.
Awesome! I certainly will! I think a lot of my success with my first tank can be credited to following the BRS/WWC hybrid method 3 month cycle (although I waited 9 months because I wanted to beat some turf algae... I imagine I'll be stocking this tank very slowly (probably a month or two away from actually filling it up but figured I'd start QT. I forgot to mention That QT I whipped up has HOB that was filled with established media I took from my two coral QT tanks but I'm still going to get an ammonia alert badge and keep a a close eye on things!
Cardinals by themselves are an absolute bore in the tank 0/10 wil not recommend. All they do is float in one spot. Nocturnal fish.
I appreciate the heads up! However I'm primarily a freshwater fish guy (primarily catfish) So not only do I love weird and cryptic fish but I'm also use to keeping fish I see once I every few months. Mind you they aren't the only fish in there but they are my favourites. I like having fish I can see as well I'm totally down to have a fish I almost never see because when yo do see them its really special! I know most people don't feel that way though;Hilarious

So far it seems like I'm not going to be over stocked?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back