Stocking a reefer 250 - advice?

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, first of all really appreciate the incredible resource this site has been.

Was hoping to get your advice on next steps for my tank. I've got my quarantine tank (both a coral and fish) up and running now.

My DT is a Reefer 250 (total 65g, DT 54g, sump 11g). I'm hoping to start incorporating coral fairly soon as well. Right now I've got 2 clowns who are doing well. I wanted to go ahead and put my next fish into the QT while the DT matures and gets ready to accommodate the next additions.

Right now have these guys in mind:
1) flame hawkfish
2) potter vs flame angelfish
3) gold assessor basslet
4) yellow watchman vs yasha goby (+ pistol shrimp)
5) mandarin goby (will get a CB one, refugium is being made a pod haven)
6) kole tang

These fish are +/- pending what you guys think my additional capacity might be:
1) six line wrasse (I really don't want to place a lid otherwise I'd love one of these)
2) cardinal fish
3) algae blenny

My questions:
1) can I accommodate the above?
2) what order would you add the rest of the fish in?
3) any other fish you may substitute that you think I'd be missing? I love big personalities and creating a lively community

Thanks very much in advance everyone!!!

Brent02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to have coral the angle is a crap shoot. I got my first tank this year and got a small coral beauty along with two clowns a Watchman pistol combo and a fire fish. The Coral Beauty was behaving until she decided she liked nibbling on my chalice, and the killed a Duncan. I getting 90 next month, and won’t have an angle in the tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate your input.

Any thoughts on an active/colorful alternative to an angel if I want to be more reef safe and avoid the aggression?
Wrasse(s) - Specifically from the genuses Cirrhilabrus (Fairies), Halichoeres, and Paracheilinus (Flashers).
If you want to get into harder wrasses then Macropharyngodon and Anampses are the way to go but only when you have a tank truly established.
CBs are as reef safe as angelfish get though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, first of all really appreciate the incredible resource this site has been.

Was hoping to get your advice on next steps for my tank. I've got my quarantine tank (both a coral and fish) up and running now.

My DT is a Reefer 250 (total 65g, DT 54g, sump 11g). I'm hoping to start incorporating coral fairly soon as well. Right now I've got 2 clowns who are doing well. I wanted to go ahead and put my next fish into the QT while the DT matures and gets ready to accommodate the next additions.

Right now have these guys in mind:
1) flame hawkfish - This guy gets aggressive in small tanks
2) potter vs flame angelfish - Potters gets bigger and more pricey so flame would be better in terms of price however Potters are more reef safe
3) gold assessor basslet - These are often shy but will come out over time, both colourful and
4) yellow watchman vs yasha goby (+ pistol shrimp) - Yasha is the more peaceful option.
5) mandarin goby (will get a CB one, refugium is being made a pod haven)
6) kole tang - If the tank is less than 4’ across then this won’t work.

These fish are +/- pending what you guys think my additional capacity might be:
1) six line wrasse (I really don't want to place a lid otherwise I'd love one of these) - No, if you go for a wrasse then Halichoeres however, EVERY fish can jump if given the opportunity so most tanks with angelfish, wrasse, ect.. should have a lid IMO
2) cardinal fish
3) algae blenny - Rarely survive long term
I’ve added some comments to the fish listed

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar size tank Xl300. I currently have a fairy wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, rohmboid wrasse and squaretail tang. I am adding a melanarus wrasse, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby and a firefish. I'd recommend you consider some wrasses. They are great utilitarian fish, hardy with great colors. They will help pest control like your tang choice helps algae control. Hold off on the mandarin until your tank is mature enough to sustain pods. As others said. Flame angels might damage corals. Hawkish will go after your cleaner shrimp if you decide to add some of those.

OP
OP
The JLP Experience

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have given me a lot to think about here…

- I’ll explore lid options some more. I really love how elegant the reefer looks right now and I haven’t seen a lid yet that doesn’t take away from that yet.

- sounds like flame hawk fish isn’t a great fit. Any thoughts on a “rock hopping” alternative?

- I may speak w my LFS about the angels and see if they’d be ok w me potentially bringing one back if he/she goes berserk on coral

- any issues w yasha being too shy compared to YWG?

- as an alternative to a kole, if I could find one would a squaretail bristletooth be a contender?

It does sound like I need to figure out the lid thing to accommodate wrasses.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- I’ll explore lid options some more. I really love how elegant the reefer looks right now and I haven’t seen a lid yet that doesn’t take away from that yet.
You listed a few fishes that can jump if spooked. For me, it takes too much effort and money getting fish into my tank, so losing a fish to the carpet is just not an option.

- sounds like flame hawk fish isn’t a great fit. Any thoughts on a “rock hopping” alternative?
I love hawks, especially flame and long nose hawks. They are great fish for a tank your size and larger. Possibly can eat small inverts. It's up to you if small shrimp and more important. Blennies and gobies are good rock hoppers. Starry blenny might be a good one for you.

- as an alternative to a kole, if I could find one would a squaretail bristletooth be a contender?
With a 3 foot tank, tangs aren't going to be a good choice long term.
1) six line wrasse (I really don't want to place a lid otherwise I'd love one of these)
Don't do this if you want a mandarin or any other wrasse. It will outcompete the mandarin, or outright kill it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You listed a few fishes that can jump if spooked. For me, it takes too much effort and money getting fish into my tank, so losing a fish to the carpet is just not an option.

With a 3 foot tank, tangs aren't going to be a good choice long term.
I find these both to be good points, a tang or any fish that needs the room to swim will do terribly in a 3 foot long term.
The jumping bit is also good because when you get the more pricey fish, you will realise they are jumpers but also ANY fish can and will jump eventually if given the option.
A lid that I use on both my rimless tanks and doesn’t take away from the look is most of the fine mesh netting, this is similar to the one I use:
BF73C9C0-A891-4239-AF4F-4460DB746F55.jpeg

Also, I know it’s not the same fish as the tang mentioned however, my two spot bristletooth (Ctenochaetus binotatus) is in a 4’ tank and at 2” he can go from one side to the other within 3 flaps of his fins (Although, he rarely does and just hangs with the foxface and angelfish)
Here’s a photo of him:
image.jpg

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have given me a lot to think about here…

- I may speak w my LFS about the angels and see if they’d be ok w me potentially bringing one back if he/she goes berserk on coral

- any issues w yasha being too shy compared to YWG?

It does sound like I need to figure out the lid thing to accommodate wrasses.

I have a bristletooth in my red sea and he seems to be doing OK but probably would be better in a larger tank. He does peck algae all day but finicky eater. I didn't want a lid either but the wrasses requires it. Clearview lids made mine and overall it does not really diminish the tank asthetics. Still get light shimmer. Acts like a filter for the lights with the mesh screen top. Here is my lid.

20211020_080151.jpg 20211020_080140.jpg

OP
OP
The JLP Experience

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love hawks, especially flame and long nose hawks. They are great fish for a tank your size and larger. Possibly can eat small inverts. It's up to you if small shrimp and more important. Blennies and gobies are good rock hoppers. Starry blenny might be a good one for you.

For inverts the smallest shrimp I'm interested in are probably peppermint and the pistol. The starry blenny is a GREAT suggestion.

Don't do this if you want a mandarin or any other wrasse. It will outcompete the mandarin, or outright kill it.

Do you know if this applies to all wrasses + mandarin? I'm pretty sold on finding a lid now to broaden to wrasses.

I have a bristletooth in my red sea and he seems to be doing OK but probably would be better in a larger tank. He does peck algae all day but finicky eater. I didn't want a lid either but the wrasses requires it. Clearview lids made mine and overall it does not really diminish the tank asthetics. Still get light shimmer. Acts like a filter for the lights with the mesh screen top. Here is my lid.

Thanks for the pics - going to investigate the clearview.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if this applies to all wrasses + mandarin? I'm pretty sold on finding a lid now to broaden to wrasses.
Not ALL wrasses but the two genera that will also eat pods are Macropharyngodon and Anampses. Halichoeres not so much, although yes they peck at rocks they can’t desolate a population instantly.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For inverts the smallest shrimp I'm interested in are probably peppermint and the pistol. The starry blenny is a GREAT suggestion.
Peppermints *could eventually be snacks, but I don't trust peppermint shrimps so I don't keep them. I agree, starry blennies are awesome.

Fairies and flashes don't eat pods.

OP
OP
The JLP Experience

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ALL wrasses but the two genera that will also eat pods are Macropharyngodon and Anampses. Halichoeres not so much, although yes they peck at rocks they can’t desolate a population instantly.
Fairies and flashes don't eat pods.

Ok, based on everyone's input I've tried to come up with a stocking list that has a good spread of color/activity levels. I found some mixed info on what tank sizes the wrasses could be in but hopefully these guys would be okay (and not eat the mandarin's pods). This is also roughly the order I would plan to introduce the crew (the clowns obviously already being there). And yes - I'm caving on the lid!

1. Clown fish x2
2. Yasha Goby/Pistol Shrimp
3. Gold assessor basslet
4. Starry blenny
5. Potter’s angelfish (a bit larger, but hopefully more reef safe)
6. Mystery wrasse
7. Scott’s fairy wrasse
8. Mandarin

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, based on everyone's input I've tried to come up with a stocking list that has a good spread of color/activity levels. I found some mixed info on what tank sizes the wrasses could be in but hopefully these guys would be okay (and not eat the mandarin's pods). This is also roughly the order I would plan to introduce the crew (the clowns obviously already being there). And yes - I'm caving on the lid!

1. Clown fish x2
2. Yasha Goby/Pistol Shrimp
3. Gold assessor basslet
4. Starry blenny
5. Potter’s angelfish (a bit larger, but hopefully more reef safe)
6. Mystery wrasse
7. Scott’s fairy wrasse
8. Mandarin
Looks like a good list. Captive bred mandarin may eat frozen or sinking pellets also but I would still add that one last to an established tank maybe at the one year mark is my plan.

OP
OP
The JLP Experience

The JLP Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same group as six line. Mean, will eat pods, and might even outright kill the mandarin. When mature, doesn't mix with other wrasses.

Check out the pintail fairy wrasse , yellow coris and rohmboid wrasse. No issues with them at all in my tank.

thank you both. at this moment I'm now leaning away from a mandarin in favor of opening up some flexibility for different wrasses.

in addition to the ones you mentioned I'm reading more about melanurus, leopard, redhead solon, and the exquisite fairy. I'm still very taken by the mystery wrasse as well.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you both. at this moment I'm now leaning away from a mandarin in favor of opening up some flexibility for different wrasses.

in addition to the ones you mentioned I'm reading more about melanurus, leopard, redhead solon, and the exquisite fairy. I'm still very taken by the mystery wrasse as well.
I didn't know much about them either but now I'm hooked with 3 in the tank and adding a melanarus also tomorrow. They all have great colors, free swim all day. Super hardy to.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back