Stocking an IM 20 Peninsula

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have a little IM 20 tank in our kitchen, currently just using mostly stock filtration with about 15-20 pounds of live rock in the tank. At the moment there's just a pair of ocellaris clownfish, an emerald crab, and a peppermint shrimp in the tank, plus assorted corals and CUC. We'd like to add another fish or two to get a little more movement in the tank, since the clowns basically keep to their preferred corner of the tank. Would two fish be straining things a bit much, or should we stick to one additional fish? And any ideas for good tankmates for this tank?

Some that are currently on my list:
  • Royal Gramma
  • Pink-streaked wrasse
  • Possum Wrasse
  • Sharknose/Neon/Yellow Goby
  • Rainford's/Hector's Goby
  • Tailspot Blenny
  • Springer's Damsel
  • Firefish (any variety)
Obviously not planning on adding that whole list... just like to keep my options open. =) Any other good small-tank fish to think about?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stick to just 1 more for long term health. Remember these all grow. I started my 20G with 2 1 inch clowns and a 1.5 inch basslet (similar to royal gramma) now they'll are all 3-4 inches and will put a strain on your filtration unless you plan to upgrade in a couple of years.

I like either the gobies, RG, or firefish. The damsel might be bully.

OP
OP
Biokabe

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Well, I do have a larger tank I can move someone into if they get too big, but I prefer to avoid that if possible. I'm also definitely not opposed to upping the filtration on it - simplicity is nice, but ultimately I'm more worried about in-tank aggression and unhappy fish than filtration.

The Springer's damsel, by the way, is an exception (possibly the lone exception) to the rule about damsel aggression. I had one in the large tank forever, and it was the most peaceful fish in there before it was murdered by my hawkfish. Even more peaceful than the purple firefish in that tank. If you've always avoided damsels, that's one that you can safely pick up for just about any peaceful tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back