Stocking captive bred/sustainably caught tank

s_spowart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just finished cycling my 55g tank that will be a mixed reef setup.

Dimensions are 36x24x15.

My main focus of this setup is to stock it with only captive bred or if necessary sustainably harvested fish and corals.

For example I do want some bangaii cardinals but am only willing to keep captive bred species as their numbers are suffering in the wild and are on the endangered species list.

So besides fish like clowns that are easily found captive bred. Can anyone recommend some other species to keep??

And as it's hard to find info online I'm also open to suggestions of fish that have populations in the wild that are thriving and are sourced responsibly and are fully regulated. For example if I could find some type of documentation showing that firefish numbers are doing very well in the wild and are regulated and sustainably sourced then I'd be willing to keep them.

Here's a list of fish that I'm interested in getting more info on and are on my stocking list:

-2 clown fish (captive bred)
- bengaii cardinal (captive bred)
- yellow damsel (captive bred)
-mandarin dragonet (captive bred or sustainably sourced if possible)
- firefish (captive bred or sustainably harvested)
- wrasse (captive bred or sustainably harvested)
- type of tang (yellow or tomini) that are captive bred or sustainably harvested.
-angel fish such as flame angels or coral beauty that are captive bred or sustainably harvested.
- types of gobies that are captive bred or sustainably harvested.
- types of blennies that are captive bred or sustainability harvested.

This is just a list of some of the fish I'm interested in but I prefer to source captive bred, if not some type of documented source where I know that they are a regulated fish that has a thriving population.

Any advice helps. Thx
I have been trying to get captive bred, and would rather an empty tank than to contribute to the destruction of wild fish stocks.
Unfortunately living in the UK, all I could find was a small number of species such as clowns, and Bengaii Cardinals.
I see on the internet places in the USA or Europe that stock them, but not in the UK. Not sure what would happen if I took a holliday in the USA and came back with a suitcase full of bags of fish, but I would have to be sure they would let me in with them before even trying that, and it looks like they want vets certificates, and to notify the fish health inspectorate before you import etc.
So I am ending up with a tank with a pair of clowns and Bengaii Cardinals, plus lots of corals which are available aquacultured. I wont take anything wild, would be nice if there was some kind of certification scheme that could prove its origins, how can you tell a tank bred fish from a wild caught. All you can do is take the shops word, but most of the time they are saying wild caught which I think should be banned.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to get captive bred, and would rather an empty tank than to contribute to the destruction of wild fish stocks.
Unfortunately living in the UK, all I could find was a small number of species such as clowns, and Bengaii Cardinals.
I see on the internet places in the USA or Europe that stock them, but not in the UK. Not sure what would happen if I took a holliday in the USA and came back with a suitcase full of bags of fish, but I would have to be sure they would let me in with them before even trying that, and it looks like they want vets certificates, and to notify the fish health inspectorate before you import etc.
So I am ending up with a tank with a pair of clowns and Bengaii Cardinals, plus lots of corals which are available aquacultured. I wont take anything wild, would be nice if there was some kind of certification scheme that could prove its origins, how can you tell a tank bred fish from a wild caught. All you can do is take the shops word, but most of the time they are saying wild caught which I think should be banned.
Perhaps a local group is a possibility? I imagine that there must be quite a few local amateurs breeders from whom you might be able to acquire some tank-raised fish.

Take a look at the ORA website if you already haven't done this. What they sell is a pretty good list of the species that have been sucessfully bred in aquaria, although it's obviously not complete. ORA might also help you to locate local breeders, although they haven't responded to my enquiries.

What about doing a general callout in the fish breeding subforum? Perhaps someone there can help you source captive-bred fish in the UK.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back