Stocking help

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4og breeder and 20g sump and am looking to add a wrasse hopefully. My currrent stock is 2 clowns, black line fang blenny and a yellow watchman goby. What reef safe wrasse could I add excluding six line or possum wrasses? Would a Christmas wrasse work? Mainly I’m looking for a wrasse with color and personality any suggestions welcomed thanks.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpenters Flasher, McCoskers Flasher, Lubbock Fairy Wrasse. These are my recommendations. I had both McCoskers and Lubbock. Loved them both. For the tank size any one of them will work out. ADDING A SCREEN MESH is a MUST

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the following:
Pintail
Lunatus
Rubeus
Yellow coris
Melanurus
Biocellatus

OP
OP
adam finley

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I could get a hovens or red-lined wrasse and be fine? Are the reef safe? I know most say with caution so not quite sure.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I could get a hovens or red-lined wrasse and be fine? Are the reef safe? I know most say with caution so not quite sure.
IMO they’d prefer a larger tank than a 40B.

Redlined are coral safe but may eat clean up crew like all halichoeres.

OP
OP
adam finley

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend? I definitely want a happy healthy fish. I just seen those 2 and they are amazing looking wrasses. However, I just want one that would be fine in a 40b that won’t be a jerk.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One should be fine. Both are beneficial for corals, being pest eaters, however small inverts can be potentially eaten, though biocellatus is dairly safe.
What would you recommend? I definitely want a happy healthy fish. I just seen those 2 and they are amazing looking wrasses. However, I just want one that would be fine in a 40b that won’t be a jerk.
40g is the minimum size. Red lined are rarely jerks, hoevens are fine most of the time, but some specimens can be bossy.

OP
OP
adam finley

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of those two which would you choose if you had to pick one. Those both are beautiful and I would love either one. I think the red-lined stays a little smaller but not by much. Thanks for all the help

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a male McCosker's flasher wrasse and it may have been my favorite fish ever. Spent most of the day patrolling the rock work and never even acknowledged any inverts. He had a shell on the send bed he would sleep in when the lights went off. IME, awesome fish

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of those two which would you choose if you had to pick one. Those both are beautiful and I would love either one. I think the red-lined stays a little smaller but not by much. Thanks for all the help
The biocellatus is a better choice for a 40g.

OP
OP
adam finley

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I think that’s what I’m going to go with. I have a lot of caves and tunnels so hopefully it will feel even bigger than it is to the wrassse.

ReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I think that’s what I’m going to go with. I have a lot of caves and tunnels so hopefully it will feel even bigger than it is to the wrassse.
He spends more time swimming thru the rocks searching for stuff to eat than swimming back and forth across the tank. I’m sure you know they sleep in the sand, I use a “wrasse den” because I have a bare bottom and he’s fine with it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back