Stocking....I kno I kno

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help guys I’m trying to figure out in advance what fish and when to add. I have done a lot of looking and reading and reading and more. Just left me with more confusion lol. I have a reef setup with two clowns 13.5 gallon tank. I’m upgrading in a few months to a 50, already started gathering parts. Anyway I have two clowns that will go in there. It’s going to be a mixed reef hopefully more sps eventually than anything. I would like to have a flame hawk and and mccoskers flasher wrasse but I don’t kno what else will work with these two fish and my clowns. Any input would be great if the hawk limits my options I’m open to not getting one but I like the personality a lot

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help guys I’m trying to figure out in advance what fish and when to add. I have done a lot of looking and reading and reading and more. Just left me with more confusion lol. I have a reef setup with two clowns 13.5 gallon tank. I’m upgrading in a few months to a 50, already started gathering parts. Anyway I have two clowns that will go in there. It’s going to be a mixed reef hopefully more sps eventually than anything. I would like to have a flame hawk and and mccoskers flasher wrasse but I don’t kno what else will work with these two fish and my clowns. Any input would be great if the hawk limits my options I’m open to not getting one but I like the personality a lot

I love my flame hawkfish! They are cool little fish. Be aware, they can/will eat very small fish (I lost a little yellow goby to one), so don't buy tiny fish it can fit in its mouth.

I like to think of several things when stocking a new tank: levels, fish compatibility, and personal interests. For me that would be fish shapes and colors. I try not to overstock any one level in the tank (bottom level, rock or mid level, and open or upper levels of the tank). Many fish typically have a preferred dwelling level and pick that level to make homes or retreat to for sleep. When hiding spaces or levels are insufficient for the fish species or the shared space, fish will often become aggressive and fight over the available real estate.

Go to a site such as Live Aquaria and read about known compatibility issues with different fish species. Keep in mind each fish has its own personality just like people, dogs, and other animals, so be prepared to relocate a fish if things don't work out as planned. With that information in mind, pick out the fish that YOU like. As aforementioned, I like a variety of colors and shapes, so that's what I buy. Others here have setup species specific, community, semi-aggressive, and/or aggressive tanks. Decide what fish is the MUST have, and then build your stock around that fish species.

I know it's hard, but wait until the bigger tank is set up to get more fish. Clowns are typically aggressive to new additions, especially in tight quarters. Resist the urge to buy fish that will outgrow your 50 gal tank. It's fantastically HARD (not to mention extremely stressful on the fish AND the fish keeper) to catch a fish once established in a main display full of rocks and other nooks and crannies. In frustration, I've had to removed everything in a tank before just to catch one fish. I will admit the process was completed with MANY choice words at the wayward fish during the activity.

Finally, if you plan to purchase coral, research the type of fish you're interested in to make an informed decision before you buy. You don't want to buy a fish only to have it eat your prized coral.

Happy reefing!

OP
OP
Curtis Rose

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I’m not gonna add anything to the 13 gallon until everything is stable and happy in the new tank. The 13 will act as my qt. And I know the flame hawk might pick on certain smaller fish. And I have been on live aquaria and it seems when I find a fish option I’ll find stories elsewhere of where it didn’t work. Lol seems like quite the conundrum.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I’m not gonna add anything to the 13 gallon until everything is stable and happy in the new tank. The 13 will act as my qt. And I know the flame hawk might pick on certain smaller fish. And I have been on live aquaria and it seems when I find a fish option I’ll find stories elsewhere of where it didn’t work. Lol seems like quite the conundrum.

In truth, I have fish in my tanks that are not recommended to be put together. I admit that I take some chances that things will work out, but I try to make the transitions for fish into my tanks go as smoothly as possible. I don't want my fish to be stressed. I always add more than one fish at a time, so no one fish is targeted mercifully. If aggression does not lesson in a day or two, I use a floating mirror meant for beta fish to sidetrack the aggressors. If that does not work, I made a clear acclimation box the size of a large shoe box that I put the newbies in for several days or even a week to let the other fish get used to seeing them in the tank. All of these things help, but I know there is still no guarantee that a newbie fish will be accepted. I don't sweat over it so much anymore because I have enough tanks up and running at any given time to move a fish if needed.

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish are fine together. You will be happier in long run with a 75 gallon tank

OP
OP
Curtis Rose

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably go bigger down the road I got a two year old and and another on the way and a demanding job. Also love the 50 lagoon shape and build quality. I think I’ll be plenty happy. 120 is the goal but not yet.

OP
OP
Curtis Rose

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus the 50 lagoon is sitting up stairs in the extra bedroom waiting for the I’m having made stand so I can bring it downstairs.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid dottyback or Royal gramma provide color, relatively good, interesting behavior and swim in middle to bottom of tank. Both are available as "tank raised" which is a plus IMHO.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back