Stocking ideas for 80 gallon

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, wonder what you guys would suggest for an 80 gallon tank. Right now I only have two clownfish . Would a yellow tang be okay In here ? I was thinking maybe a pair of anthias , pair of banghai cardinals , lawnmower blenny and yellow watchmen goby . Any suggestions? Thank you :)
1E711AC2-125F-4512-BB77-EDFDC29CA5EB.jpeg

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a blennie and a yellow tang with clownfish and they were fine. The tang actually played with the bonded pair until the tank went bad (totally my fault). I have heard cardinals can be really aggressive, but have no experience with them.Thinking a goby would do well, again no actual experience . You may want to think about an anemone, depending on the age of your tank for the clowns. Looking good so far!!!

OP
OP
Easy Reefing

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a blennie and a yellow tang with clownfish and they were fine. The tang actually played with the bonded pair until the tank went bad (totally my fault). I have heard cardinals can be really aggressive, but have no experience with them.Thinking a goby would do well, again no actual experience . You may want to think about an anemone, depending on the age of your tank for the clowns. Looking good so far!!!
Thanks ! I do want an anemone once my tank is a little more established. I wanted cardinals because they stay in the water column and heard it will make other fish feel safer lol

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert and I am sure some one with more experience will chime in soon. I always thought they were mellow too, but that info came from my LFS, would love to know what others say!

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll definitely check those out . How many wrasses can you have in one tank ?

Like all things in this hobby, it depends. Lol

On things like the biological capacity of your tank. For example, are you skimming heavy? Growing macro algae? Also on the adult size and feeding habits of the particular wrasse. But I’d guess you could have 3/4 flashers/fairies with the list you mentioned above. My advice, just take your time and QT all new fish when possible.

OP
OP
Easy Reefing

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like all things in this hobby, it depends. Lol

On things like the biological capacity of your tank. For example, are you skimming heavy? Growing macro algae? Also on the adult size and feeding habits of the particular wrasse. But I’d guess you could have 3/4 flashers/fairies with the list you mentioned above. My advice, just take your time and QT all new fish when possible.
Definitely gonna QT, have heard too many horror stories lol I’ll slowly add these fish and will be adding a refugium soon . Thanks for the advice :)

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , I’ll look into those :) definitely need to research more first
I’ve got one in my RSR750. He’s been a very active algae eater. Constantly picking stuff off the rocks and glass. He gets along with my Powder Blue which is also a plus. Tangs can get really aggressive toward their own kind.

I’d also be careful with many of the “beginner” fish that the LFS will often recommend. For example, a 6 line wrasse is a beautiful fish, but will bully lots of new incoming fish. Same with the always popular bi-color dottyback. So research is always best. I’ve made one too many impulse decisions in my day. And nothing is worse than tearing down rock work to catch a problem fish. Lol

OP
OP
Easy Reefing

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got one in my RSR750. He’s been a very active algae eater. Constantly picking stuff off the rocks and glass. He gets along with my Powder Blue which is also a plus. Tangs can get really aggressive toward their own kind.

I’d also be careful with many of the “beginner” fish that the LFS will often recommend. For example, a 6 line wrasse is a beautiful fish, but will bully lots of new incoming fish. Same with the always popular bi-color dottyback. So research is always best. I’ve made one too many impulse decisions in my day. And nothing is worse than tearing down rock work to catch a problem fish. Lol
Definitely, so many beautiful fish out there but want a peaceful tank lol I want a tang because they’re pretty plus manage algae

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back