OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they've finally gotten through 30 days of Cu (ended yesterday) and I started running a reactor with a mix of Cuprisorb and Rox 0.8 Carbon which is what I used on the other tank to get the Cu out. That said, this reactor now has been running over 24 hours and Cu level is still the same on the API Test (I was using CopperSafe). I know I have way more Cuprisorb being tumbled than needed for a 29G but it's not seeming to move the needle - any ideas? On the bright side, the water became crystal clear in less than 2 hours :D

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they've finally gotten through 30 days of Cu (ended yesterday) and I started running a reactor with a mix of Cuprisorb and Rox 0.8 Carbon which is what I used on the other tank to get the Cu out. That said, this reactor now has been running over 24 hours and Cu level is still the same on the API Test (I was using CopperSafe). I know I have way more Cuprisorb being tumbled than needed for a 29G but it's not seeming to move the needle - any ideas? On the bright side, the water became crystal clear in less than 2 hours :D

Is this the same Cuprisorb you used on the other QT? If so, it may be exhausted and needs to be regenerated (see below).
Exhaustion is indicated by a pronounced discoloration of the beads to a deep blue black color. Use MultiTest™: Copper to monitor copper. When exhausted, CupriSorb™ may be discarded or regenerated.

REGENERATION: Soak in a non-metal container with 2 cups of water and 1⁄2 cup of muriatic acid (available with pool supplies: PAY HEED TO WARNINGS on acid container!). This is best done outside and away from children. Soak for 1 hour, rinse well. Repeat as required to restore the original color. Rinse well, add sodium bicarbonate until foaming stops, and rinse again. CupriSorb™ is now ready for reuse. If original color cannot be restored after several acid washes, proceed with rinses and bicarbonate step, then regenerate as HyperSorb™ or Purigen®.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the same Cuprisorb you used on the other QT? If so, it may be exhausted and needs to be regenerated (see below).
Yes; however, I added another cup or so of brand new cuprisorb to it as well which is overkill - I know.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool and just put it in the HOB, hopefully everything gets pulled out so I can dose the prazi today :cool:

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the polyfilter turned blue within a few minutes, so hopefully it's doing it's thing. Quick question though - should i take the polyfilter out when I does prazi?

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's only been running ~3 hours and I just did a quick API Cu test and the level is still the same (around 2.0 ppm). This is getting frustrating, why won't the Cu just come out o_O ?? When I did this same routine (minus the poly filter) on the other tank it was down to 0 in less than 24 hours.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check your copper reading against another test kit. IME; a poly filter removes copper very quickly & thoroughly.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check your copper reading against another test kit. IME; a poly filter removes copper very quickly & thoroughly.
I have a SeaChem kit but I thought that doesn't work for chelated Cu like CopperSafe? Also, if it is wrong, do I restart another 30 days of Cu? I was testing everyday and it was staying consistent.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SeaChem kit but I thought that doesn't work for chelated Cu like CopperSafe? Also, if it is wrong, do I restart another 30 days of Cu? I was testing everyday and it was staying consistent.

Do you know anyone else who has an API copper test kit? Compare your reading to theirs? I'm just wondering if something is wrong with your test kit.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know anyone else who has an API copper test kit? Compare your reading to theirs? I'm just wondering if something is wrong with your test kit.

I don't unfortunately. I ran the API and SeaChem tonight just to see and the API did come down (it's around 1 ppm now based on a look by my wife and I) and the SeaChem was showing somewhere in the 0.5 - 0.6 range.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back