Stocking Ideas for 90G Reef

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, thanks for the help! What do you think about the general stocking level - too much?

Thanks for the suggestion and I've actually looked at those before. Are they pretty hardy? Any concerns with any fish or other inverts?
Stocking levels vary tank to tank, it can depend on so many factors. That level seems fine to me, but testing will tell.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking levels vary tank to tank, it can depend on so many factors. That level seems fine to me, but testing will tell.

Fair enough and of course I'll be adding these in smaller waves, so I'll kabash the rest if the levels start spiking to "bad" levels.

Question for @Humblefish and @melypr1985 - of the modified list are there some that should not be treated with Copper and/or Prazi? Ideally, I'd like to get those fish together and do once batch of quarantine with them (even if it is just an observation quarantine).

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough and of course I'll be adding these in smaller waves, so I'll kabash the rest if the levels start spiking to "bad" levels.

Question for @Humblefish and @melypr1985 - of the modified list are there some that should not be treated with Copper and/or Prazi? Ideally, I'd like to get those fish together and do once batch of quarantine with them (even if it is just an observation quarantine).

the puffer is the only one I would avoid with copper. The rest -with care- should be fine with both prazi and copper. Just be sure to raise the levels slowly over several days so as not to shock the fish. Remember that fish vary and sometimes you'll run across a fish that is normally tolerant of copper and this time it's not. Just keep that in mind.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the puffer is the only one I would avoid with copper. The rest -with care- should be fine with both prazi and copper. Just be sure to raise the levels slowly over several days so as not to shock the fish. Remember that fish vary and sometimes you'll run across a fish that is normally tolerant of copper and this time it's not. Just keep that in mind.

Actually a LFS I advise is treating puffers using Coppersafe on a pretty regular basis with good success. Made a liar out of me. :p

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually a LFS I advise is treating puffers using Coppersafe on a pretty regular basis with good success. Made a liar out of me. :p

Well the good - or perhaps bad news depending on who you ask - is I think my better half is pulling rank on the puffer. I guess it's a reason to buy another tank once we get this one stocked :D I thought I read somewhere, but maybe not, that the CBB and Wrasses were sensitive to Copper hence the question but seems like it's not an issue!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the good - or perhaps bad news depending on who you ask - is I think my better half is pulling rank on the puffer. I guess it's a reason to buy another tank once we get this one stocked :D I thought I read somewhere, but maybe not, that the CBB and Wrasses were sensitive to Copper hence the question but seems like it's not an issue!

What kind of puffer? The big ones can be a PITA to keep with other fish and are a no-go with corals/inverts.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of puffer? The big ones can be a PITA to keep with other fish and are a no-go with corals/inverts.
I was looking at one the pygmy puffers - such as the valentini. We've got quite a few corals in the tank today - mainly softies and LPS, but 2 SPS mixed in - and she doesn't want to risk it given their reputation with corals in general.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so think I finally got this list final or close to it for right now -
  • 1x One-Spot Foxface
  • 1x Copperband Butterfly
  • 1x Starry Blenny
  • 1x Midas Blenny
  • 1x Diamond Watchman Goby
  • 2x Lyreyail Anthias (one male, one female)
  • 2x Barletts's Anthia
  • 1x Red Fairy Anthia
  • 1x Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
  • 1x Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
  • 1x McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Now next question, is which order/grouping to do these through QT. I would like the next batch to have the CBB in it, so maybe do the CBB and the Blennies together (I have a 20G QT FYI) as Batch 1. But what about the others? Should I do all the Anthias together then all the Wrasses together or split them up?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CBB & blennies will be fine for the next QT batch.

You can QT all the wrasses together, but I would split the anthias up into two batches.

Round out with the Foxface (a pooping machine) and the goby.

Make sure you have a very secure lid for the wrasses and especially the goby. I sew screen under the eggcrate top just to be sure.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so think I finally got this list final or close to it for right now -
  • 1x One-Spot Foxface
  • 1x Copperband Butterfly
  • 1x Starry Blenny
  • 1x Midas Blenny
  • 1x Diamond Watchman Goby
  • 2x Lyreyail Anthias (one male, one female)
  • 2x Barletts's Anthia
  • 1x Red Fairy Anthia
  • 1x Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
  • 1x Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
  • 1x McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Now next question, is which order/grouping to do these through QT. I would like the next batch to have the CBB in it, so maybe do the CBB and the Blennies together (I have a 20G QT FYI) as Batch 1. But what about the others? Should I do all the Anthias together then all the Wrasses together or split them up?
Your plan looks good. All the wrasses can go in together(I recommend this). I would also recommend adding the anthias all together, otherwise you will be giving a hierarchical advantage to the ones added first.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have a very secure lid for the wrasses and especially the goby. I sew screen under the eggcrate top just to be sure.

Noted and does the lid need to be secured to down to the tank somehow or is just putting it on top sufficient?

Also, on a side note, on the Anthias. Is the only reason for suggesting the split up because the size of the tank? If so, I do have a spare 29 laying around but would need to get it setup and likely a bigger filter than what's on the 20 right now.

Boesemani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do kashiwae with the lyretails and barletts. And for the flasher wrasse I would do a McCosker's flasher.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After giving it a little more thought, I might just set up the 29 as well as a second QT given the number of batches will need to run to get to a full stock on the DT. ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted and does the lid need to be secured to down to the tank somehow or is just putting it on top sufficient?

It should fit snug over the top of the tank. I've had large gobies & wrasses (and especially jawfish) ram loose fitting ones. Dislodging it and creating a hole to jump out of in the process. :eek:

Also, on a side note, on the Anthias. Is the only reason for suggesting the split up because the size of the tank? If so, I do have a spare 29 laying around but would need to get it setup and likely a bigger filter than what's on the 20 right now.

It would be ideal to introduce them all into the DT at the same time. I was just hesitant about QT'ing 5 anthias in a 20 gal, due to their feeding (2-3x daily) requirements. That much food/poop will foul up the water fast. But if you've got another QT (29 gal) to use, that would be perfect.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the 29G setup and when I arrived at the LFS to pickup the CBB/Starry Blenny they let me know that the One Spot Foxface I ordered a month or two ago was finally in and out of their QT system, so I picked him up. He's possibly the smallest Foxface I've ever seen (to give you an idea he's about the size of 2 nickels put together) but is a voracious eater off the veggie clip and with other meaty concoctions I put in the tank for the CBB (primarily mysis + LRS reef frenzy). Given that the LFS didn't have the Midas Blenny, we went ahead with the 3 but now I'm concerned if/when we can find the Midas, we may be introducing aggression since the Starry has been in the tank a few days, thoughts on that?

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished feeding for the 2nd time today and the CBB didn't really seem to have an appetite. Upon closer inspection, both her and the Foxface seem to be breathing a little heavy on the bottom but aren't laying down, they are still swimming around just not as much as they were initially. I re-checked all parameters and nothing of concern but should I be concerned @Humblefish ? Also, I know CBB's can be picky eaters and I did see her eat at the store when they dropped in a mysis cube. I did notice however tonight after comparing photos to online, that the area under her fins appear to be "pinched" and this seems to indicate she's hungry? She's eaten the mysis and LRS reef frenzy since Saturday but seems to have no interest tonight? :(

20160703-IMG_2424.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@joro Being you just added these fish today, I wouldn't be too concerned about anything just yet. Make sure you've got sufficient gas exchange for everyone (a small powerhead pointed towards the surface should do it.) I would turn the lights off and let the fish rest until tomorrow.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@joro Being you just added these fish today, I wouldn't be too concerned about anything just yet. Make sure you've got sufficient gas exchange for everyone (a small powerhead pointed towards the surface should do it.) I would turn the lights off and let the fish rest until tomorrow.

To clarify, I added them all on Saturday, so they've been in for 2 days now. The LFS I purchased from said they had just completed the 10th and final day of Copper (I know :p) and the second dose of Prazi, so could it be the quick shift from this water to the "clean" water I had? For what's it's worth, I did a 20 minute float and a 60 minute drop acclimation before putting them in.

Thanks!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, I added them all on Saturday, so they've been in for 2 days now. The LFS I purchased from said they had just completed the 10th and final day of Copper (I know :p) and the second dose of Prazi, so could it be the quick shift from this water to the "clean" water I had? For what's it's worth, I did a 20 minute float and a 60 minute drop acclimation before putting them in.

Thanks!

It might take them a day or so to adjust, but I would think things would start to normalize by now. Was the CBB eating at the LFS?

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might take them a day or so to adjust, but I would think things would start to normalize by now. Was the CBB eating at the LFS?

Yes and also ate the first few times I fed in QT. I'm concerned a bit because the belly area seems like it's "pinched" which I understand indicates lack of food in the belly?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back