Stocking Ideas for 90G Reef

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have roughly a month for my first fish to get out of QT but I'm trying to plan my stocking past this point and wanted to get some suggestions from the wonderful crew here at R2R. I'm not completely committed to anything on this list per say - with the exception of the stuff we already have in QT of course ;) - but we're going for a mixed reef filled with mainly LPS/softies, with 1-2 SPS we've already introduced. We're using a standard 90G Reef-Ready Tank (48x18x24) and our rockwork is pretty well centered in the middle - providing ample swimming lanes around and at the top half of the tank (picture attached for reference). So here's the list we were considering -

Already in QT and Committed
    • 2x Blood Orange Clowns
    • 1x Yellow-Eye Kole Tang
Possible Inhabitants Under Consideration
    • One-Spot Foxface
    • Copperband Butterfly
    • Starry Blenny
    • Midas Blenny
    • Reef Safe Wrasse (Not sure of which variety at this point but open to suggestions!)
    • Toby Puffer (my wife isn't sold on this one yet, so may be a pipe dream :D)
Our main goal with the fish selection is trying to find those which are active and tend to be more "social" - that is, not hiding all day at the first sign of people. Personality is always a plus but I understand this tends to be more fish-specific rather than species-specific.

Suggestions and comments much appreciated!

IMG_1415.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Agreed. A group of fairy and flasher wrasses would fit the bill.

Beware of tobies with fleshy LPS, they may nip.

Try to add the blennies simultaneously so that one of them doesn't view the whole tank as it's own and attack the other.

Other fish that fit your criteria include a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish, purple tilefish, a group of dispar or randalls anthias, compressus cardinals.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More blennies! Lol. Ive got a bicolor blenny and he used to hide alot... kind of boring.

Now hes almost as social as the clowns in my 90g.

He also has the finniest hiding spots, used to sit with his head through the egg crate so i also thought he was a knocked over frag.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Another few questions -

1. I see the recommendation for adding the blennies together which is very helpful. Any problem down the road if we wanted to add a goby? Do they have any issues with the blennies in most normal circumstances?
  2. For the schooling fish recommendation (dart fish, tile fish, anthias, etc) is there a magic number to add them in (e.g. should they be in even or odd numbers)
  3. Assuming I went with everything on the my "Possible Inhabitants" list - minus the puffer - would I be considered "overstocked" if we add some of the schooling fish as well or is that a good mix?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Another few questions -

1. I see the recommendation for adding the blennies together which is very helpful. Any problem down the road if we wanted to add a goby? Do they have any issues with the blennies in most normal circumstances?
  2. For the schooling fish recommendation (dart fish, tile fish, anthias, etc) is there a magic number to add them in (e.g. should they be in even or odd numbers)
  3. Assuming I went with everything on the my "Possible Inhabitants" list - minus the puffer - would I be considered "overstocked" if we add some of the schooling fish as well or is that a good mix?
Each tank is different, so water chemistry and behavior will determine whether you are fully stocked or can fit a few more. Just test frequently and add slowly.

As long as it is not a rock dwelling goby, there shouldn't be any issues with the blennies.

For schooling/social fish, I find odd numbers work best. For dartfish 3+, anthias 5+, tilefish can be kept singly.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For schooling/social fish, I find odd numbers work best. For dartfish 3+, anthias 5+, tilefish can be kept singly.

With anthias - or the others for that matter - do you have to keep the same variety or can they be mixed? For example, could I have 2 Lyretail and 3 Bartletts? (Note: I didn't research these two at all but just providing an example to understand if I could mix varieties with a species)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With anthias - or the others for that matter - do you have to keep the same variety or can they be mixed? For example, could I have 2 Lyretail and 3 Bartletts? (Note: I didn't research these two at all but just providing an example to understand if I could mix varieties with a species)
It varies species to species with anthias. There are different degrees of peacefulness and aggression, though the example you gave would work as both lyretails and bartletts are similar in feistiness.

Dartfish can be mixed and matched without issue.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to agree with the fairies and flashers
I have a 90 gallon as well and those going to be dominating my tank
I may add a copperband to be the show stopper of the tank. But I am a little worried about the corals.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I have multiple wrasses in this size tank as well - for example 1 fairy, 1 flasher?

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely. You could do more than that too.

Any species compatibility concerns within the reef-safe wrasses (e.g. this fairy doesn't do well with this flash)? Also, in terms of numbers can these be odd or even or they need to be one way or the other?

Thanks,

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any species compatibility concerns within the reef-safe wrasses (e.g. this fairy doesn't do well with this flash)? Also, in terms of numbers can these be odd or even or they need to be one way or the other?

Thanks,
Most do well together. I would advise against the whipfin and scotts fairies, but most of the rest will mix fine. It doesn't matter whether its odd or even when there are more than three.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So updated list -
  • 1x One-Spot Foxface
  • 1x Copperband Butterfly
  • 1x Starry Blenny
  • 1x Midas Blenny
  • 1x Diamond Watchman Goby
  • 2x Lyreyail Anthias (one male, one female)
  • 2x Barletts's Anthia
  • 1x Ignitus Anthias
  • 1x Six Line Wrasse
  • 1x Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
  • 1x Flasher Wrasse (maybe the Carpenter's but still looking around)
This seems like an awful lot for a 90G but wanted to get opinions? :confused: Also, out of curiosity, it seems like the one-spot foxfaces are hard to come by for some reason. Years ago we had a regular Foxface Lo but I think this will get too big for a 90g - thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So updated list -
  • 1x One-Spot Foxface
  • 1x Copperband Butterfly
  • 1x Starry Blenny
  • 1x Midas Blenny
  • 1x Diamond Watchman Goby
  • 2x Lyreyail Anthias (one male, one female)
  • 2x Barletts's Anthia
  • 1x Ignitus Anthias
  • 1x Six Line Wrasse
  • 1x Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
  • 1x Flasher Wrasse (maybe the Carpenter's but still looking around)
This seems like an awful lot for a 90G but wanted to get opinions? :confused: Also, out of curiosity, it seems like the one-spot foxfaces are hard to come by for some reason. Years ago we had a regular Foxface Lo but I think this will get too big for a 90g - thoughts?
Ignitus don't mix that well with lyretails and bartletts.

Sixline wrasses can end up being pretty aggressive..

While not as common as a regular foxface, one spots are still available frequently enough.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what about swapping the Ignitus for a Randalls or a Resplendent?

Also what about swapping the 6 line for a red head Solon fairy?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what about swapping the Ignitus for a Randalls or a Resplendent?

Also what about swapping the 6 line for a red head Solon fairy?
Ignitus, randalls, and respendents are all the same speed. A better choice for lyretails and bartletts would include stocky, kashiwae, hutchii.

A red head solon would be a much better choice.

Gatorade_51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not a fish, you might consider a Blue Linckia Starfish. They constantly move about the tank and the nice blue color always add to the tank aesthetics. Add to that they are algae eaters and they become useful too.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignitus, randalls, and respendents are all the same speed. A better choice for lyretails and bartletts would include stocky, kashiwae, hutchii.

A red head solon would be a much better choice.

Perfect, thanks for the help! What do you think about the general stocking level - too much?

While not a fish, you might consider a Blue Linckia Starfish. They constantly move about the tank and the nice blue color always add to the tank aesthetics. Add to that they are algae eaters and they become useful too.

Thanks for the suggestion and I've actually looked at those before. Are they pretty hardy? Any concerns with any fish or other inverts?

Gatorade_51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are easy to keep, never had an issues, and they help clean the glass. The only issue is finding them from time to time as they burrow through the smallest holes between rocks for days like Pukani rock. Never had any issues with fish, inverts, or my corals from the starfish. Pretty cool to have in the tank in my estimation. My wife's favorite!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back