Stocking Ideas for 90G Reef

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not too late, you should look at a vermiculite wrasse...Definitely my favorite fish in my tank.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to the suggestions on a well fitting top - you will be glad to have it before adding any wrasse to your display.
Even fish that are not normally jumpers can leap unexpectedly
20160303_143304.jpg
and tops give you the extra security. Humblefish's advice on the screen is also a a great tip. I have a screen top I had made to fit the top of my tank. The wrasse hit the top really hard @ times. The screen is secure and tight . But screen has some 'give' so the fish 'bounce' back without injury.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to the suggestions on a well fitting top - you will be glad to have it before adding any wrasse to your display.
Even fish that are not normally jumpers can leap unexpectedly
20160303_143304.jpg
and tops give you the extra security. Humblefish's advice on the screen is also a a great tip. I have a screen top I had made to fit the top of my tank. The wrasse hit the top really hard @ times. The screen is secure and tight . But screen has some 'give' so the fish 'bounce' back without injury.
Thanks and quite a beauty you have there :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and also ate the first few times I fed in QT. I'm concerned a bit because the belly area seems like it's "pinched" which I understand indicates lack of food in the belly?

It also can mean intestinal worms. Seen any stringy white poop come out of him (another symptom)?

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also can mean intestinal worms. Seen any stringy white poop come out of him (another symptom)?
Not that I've noticed but wouldn't the Prazi take of that theoretically? Not to say I trust the LFS completely but they do have a pretty good track record locally and they claim they went through two treatments of prazi.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I've noticed but wouldn't the Prazi take of that theoretically? Not to say I trust the LFS completely but they do have a pretty good track record locally and they claim they went through two treatments of prazi.

Prazi is better at treating gill flukes (monogeneans) than intestinal worms. IME; metro works best on those (but still not 100%). However, food soaking metro seems to work the best because it delivers the medication right into the gut where the worms live.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is better at treating gill flukes (monogeneans) than intestinal worms. IME; metro works best on those (but still not 100%). However, food soaking metro seems to work the best because it delivers the medication right into the gut where the worms live.

I see, thanks for the explanation. A noob question for you - I have Metro I purchased ~1 month ago as part of my QT medicine cabinet but haven't even opened it. Is it a powder I mix in with the food or is there a certain way to administer it? Also, would you recommend proceeding with it now or waiting it out to see if anymore symptoms appear?

Thanks!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, thanks for the explanation. A noob question for you - I have Metro I purchased ~1 month ago as part of my QT medicine cabinet but haven't even opened it. Is it a powder I mix in with the food or is there a certain way to administer it? Also, would you recommend proceeding with it now or waiting it out to see if anymore symptoms appear?

Thanks!

No harm in using it now. But I would food soak it, using Seachem Focus to bind the medication. Focus is also supposed to make foods it comes into contact with more palatable.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No harm in using it now. But I would food soak it, using Seachem Focus to bind the medication. Focus is also supposed to make foods it comes into contact with more palatable.

I have focus too but again no idea how to use it. :eek: Is there a thread about how to do these soaks by chance?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have focus too but again no idea how to use it. :eek: Is there a thread about how to do these soaks by chance?

I guess I need to create one. ;) I use a shot glass to do this: Take 1 tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen), and add to this 1 scoop of Metroplex & 1 scoop of Focus. They each come with their own scoop. Add a few drops of SW until a paste like consistency is achieved. Mix it all together, wait 30 mins and you are ready to feed. Refrigerate or freeze the leftovers.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly recommend trying live black worms or clams on the half shell for your copperband if it wont eat. As you know they are hit or miss and those 2 items seem to do the trick usually IME. BTW, if it dies (hopefully not), try and get a larger one next time. They have a much better adaptation/survival rate than the smaller ones. Good Luck!

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly recommend trying live black worms or clams on the half shell for your copperband if it wont eat. As you know they are hit or miss and those 2 items seem to do the trick usually IME. BTW, if it dies (hopefully not), try and get a larger one next time. They have a much better adaptation/survival rate than the smaller ones. Good Luck!

Appreciate the suggestions and he's a pretty decent size (the FoxFace was the one I was referencing with the two nickel example). Also, I would think a clam on a half shell would fowl the tank water really quick if left in, is there a "trick" to this to prevent the water was getting polluted?

Thanks!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I would think a clam on a half shell would fowl the tank water really quick if left in, is there a "trick" to this to prevent the water was getting polluted?

I feed my fish both littleneck clams and black mussels. I put them in shortly after the lights turn on and anything uneaten gets removed from the tank before the lights go out. The meat won't rot and foul the water in just 10-12 hrs.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the suggestions and he's a pretty decent size (the FoxFace was the one I was referencing with the two nickel example). Also, I would think a clam on a half shell would fowl the tank water really quick if left in, is there a "trick" to this to prevent the water was getting polluted?

Thanks!

You never said the size of the copperband (that i saw) but I would recommend no smaller than 5-6" which is bigger than what a lot of people start with. Usually those have a better survival rate. Having said that, it's really hit or miss regardless. If yours ate even once, your ahead of the game [emoji106] .

You'll know pretty fast if it will eat the clam or not, if it doesn't just take it out after a bit, and if it does still take out the remainder after a bit. It will only foul up the water if you leave it there to rot.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some of the littleneck clams suggested by HumbleFish and after a few minutes of circling, she finally went to town! Her excitement even brought over the other inhabitants though neither seemed to interested in partaking given they prefer algae. Now, I need to figure out what to do with 48 more clams? o_O

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put them in freezer bags and thaw as needed. ;)
Perfect, didn't know if you could do that with clams but sounds like it's a winner. Neither my wife or I eat seafood, so having the saltwater tanks has been quite a learning experience :D

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some of the littleneck clams suggested by HumbleFish and after a few minutes of circling, she finally went to town! Her excitement even brought over the other inhabitants though neither seemed to interested in partaking given they prefer algae. Now, I need to figure out what to do with 48 more clams? o_O

Nice, glad we could help!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, didn't know if you could do that with clams but sounds like it's a winner. Neither my wife or I eat seafood, so having the saltwater tanks has been quite a learning experience :D

You actually want to always freeze any seafood before feeding it to your fish to kill any potential pathogens.

Back