Stocking ideas for a new tank.

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been planning a tank for quite a while now and there are endless lists and threads for equipment, aquascape, and even coral ideas. I’m curious what types of fish to keep though. There may be one, but it’d be interesting to see a thread that people could give tank dimensions, equipment (for ability to stock heavily or not), coral (or not), and wants and we give them ideas for a fish list. It’d give others a view of what we might do to the tank or have done and succeeded.

All of that aside, I’d like some ideas for my new tank. It’s a 48L x 24 H x 30W tank. The skimmer and sump are rated for twice the capacity of the tank so I can stock heavily but don’t want to overdo it. I’ll have mostly LPS and some types of softies. I like fish that work. I’ll have to have fish that can be autofed for a couple weeks at a time out of the year. Are there any fish you have had or have seen that would work for me? Thank you for any help.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish will eat almost anything but don't perform a job
Wrasse perform jobs but they might not eat pellets some good reef safe ones are fairy wrasse and lineatus wrasse
Cardinals might eat pellets but again don't perform a job
A small tang like a bristle tooth could be good and they have a job but you'd have to put algae in or algae flakes through a auto feeder + get it eating pellets

OP
OP
TreyC2010

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish will eat almost anything but don't perform a job
Wrasse perform jobs but they might not eat pellets some good reef safe ones are fairy wrasse and lineatus wrasse
Cardinals might eat pellets but again don't perform a job
A small tang like a bristle tooth could be good and they have a job but you'd have to put algae in or algae flakes through a auto feeder + get it eating pellets
I’m not against two auto feeders with pellets in one and seaweed pellets in the other.

I had the list of clownfish pair, 1-2 goby with shrimp, small blenny, 2 different wrasse species, and either anthias or a tang.

I’ve always wanted a hawkfish. I just know they don’t fair well with shrimp so I’m worried about the goby shrimp pair. I’m also curious if the tang is too big, what can replace it?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not against two auto feeders with pellets in one and seaweed pellets in the other.

I had the list of clownfish pair, 1-2 goby with shrimp, small blenny, 2 different wrasse species, and either anthias or a tang.

I’ve always wanted a hawkfish. I just know they don’t fair well with shrimp so I’m worried about the goby shrimp pair. I’m also curious if the tang is too big, what can replace it?
the hawkfish should be good as the goby should protect the shrimp
its a 120cm tank thats 80cm wide that should be plenty?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back