Stocking ideas

Cable

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out what other fish I should get for my mixed reef tank. My tank size is 55 gallons tall so really the same 36in length as a 40 breder. I'm not at all worried about nutrient issues as I have a filter roller, skimmer, reactors... honestly I'm over filtering. I currently have one of each of the following:
Clown
Purple Fire Fish
Flasher Wrasse
Tail Spot Blenny
Banggai Cardinal Fish

I definitely want to get a Watchman Goby as my previous one took a leap of faith out of the tank before I got a lid.

What other suggestions would you all have? My only constraint is I would prefer not have to feed pods on a regular basis and I want to ensure the fish have enough room to comfortably live.
I have also always wanted a sand sifter but I'm not sure that I have the real estate to support a sand sifters needs.

Also to note I love Benny's my Tail Spot is such a character.

Thanks!

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male Lyertail Anthia

20230615_202203.jpg

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on a stocking list for a 50g display myself. These are my likely additions. Following to see what others suggest as my list is not finalized yet.

Pink Streak Wrasse
Red Firefish
Royal Gramma
Yellow Watchman
Lubbock Fairy
Cherub Angel
Blue Star Leopard/Black wrasse

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a mate for your clownfish? Also, yellow head jawfish is one of the funniest fish to watch with their constant burrow building and scaping.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barnacle blennies and an Assessor of some kind would be my suggestions, but here’s a list of some other fish that could work too:
With that in mind, here are some fish suggestions that are 3" or less that aren't gobies (the common, tiny fish in the hobby are pretty much all gobies, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a bunch of them):

-Barnacle Blennies
-Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish
-Pygmy Possum Wrasse
-Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse
-Six Line Wrasse
-Cardinalfishes
-Assessors
-Yellowtail Damselfish
-Dottybacks (these are known to be aggressive)
-Ocellaris Clownfish
-Whitespotted Pygmy Filefish
-Two Spot Bimaculatus Blenny
-Tail Spot Blenny
-Chinstrap Jawfish
-Coral Crouchers/Croucher Gobies (these are actually tiny scorpionfish, not gobies)
-Black and White Chromis
-Agile Chromis
-Black Bar Chromis
-Vanderbilt Chromis

Some basslets (typically the expensive, deep-water ones) would work, and Brotulids like the Dusky Brotulid (Diancistrus fuscus) could be fun too, but they're hard to come by (and I've heard they're extremely shy during the day, really only coming out at night). Depending on what else you put in your tank, you might be able to put some dwarf seahorses or similar in your tank too, but probably not.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out what other fish I should get for my mixed reef tank. My tank size is 55 gallons tall so really the same 36in length as a 40 breder. I'm not at all worried about nutrient issues as I have a filter roller, skimmer, reactors... honestly I'm over filtering. I currently have one of each of the following:
Clown
Purple Fire Fish
Flasher Wrasse
Tail Spot Blenny
Banggai Cardinal Fish

I definitely want to get a Watchman Goby as my previous one took a leap of faith out of the tank before I got a lid.

What other suggestions would you all have? My only constraint is I would prefer not have to feed pods on a regular basis and I want to ensure the fish have enough room to comfortably live.
I have also always wanted a sand sifter but I'm not sure that I have the real estate to support a sand sifters needs.

Also to note I love Benny's my Tail Spot is such a character.

Thanks!
Yellow head jawfish are adorable to see as it’s kind of like they’re looking at you, also consider a Black Leopard Wrasse as they are incredibly pretty and relaxing to watch.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back