Stocking - is 1" per gallon accurate

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So i have a 190 gallon reef that is 2100x625x625mm in dimension and just trying to get my head around an accurate stocking ratio. I've read that 1" per gallon is most widely known but that would mean 190" which just seems very high.

I assume we also need to factor in the type of fish in the reef for example free swimming like Tangs, Triggers, Wrasses for example but then the bottom dwellers and rock perchers like Gobies, hawkfish and some blennies.

When I look at my tank I feel like i can only get a few more fish but a few of my LFS said i could add many many more, especially smaller wrasses for example.

Would it be worth me adding my existing stocking with their current size so i can get your opinions?

Cheers

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@slief has told me that royal exclusiv skimmers are rated at 0.5” of fish per gallon for a heavy load. That already seems like a lot of fish to me. Take what the LFS day with a grain of salt. You know how they make their money :rolleyes:.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, its not accurate at all.

Think of the difference in biomass of a 12" tang vs a dozen clown gobies. I've seen SPS tanks that process nutrients so well that you basically have to stack them with fish to keep from bottoming out phosphate and nitrate all the time. And I've seen big tanks with 5 or 6 fish in them that are a mess.

And then you have to consider aggression, territories, etc.

Its really something that's very tank specific.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@92Miata hit the nail on the head. It's a rule of thumb, but it's a particularly bad idea when that rule is employed by first time reef owners (I mean in general, not directed at you). 10 gallon tank? 10" hippo tang ;).

Absolutely post your current stocking list and the community would love to help weigh in. Your LFS might be right, however we're not trying to sell you fish, so we have no incentive one way or another :)

OP
OP
Marsh980

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@92Miata hit the nail on the head. It's a rule of thumb, but it's a particularly bad idea when that rule is employed by first time reef owners (I mean in general, not directed at you). 10 gallon tank? 10" hippo tang ;).

Absolutely post your current stocking list and the community would love to help weigh in. Your LFS might be right, however we're not trying to sell you fish, so we have no incentive one way or another :)

I am a first time reef owner haha. This is my first experience with SW but did do a lot of research before taking the plunge.

I'll post what i have and the remaining fish i would like to get to finish the reef.

Last edited:

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be helpful if you qualified your measurements... 190 gallons UK imperial or US? (I ask because you closed with "cheers" which suggests you may be in the UK). Metric dimensions go over my head so feet/inches would be more recognizable. Just a preference and makes it easier for our US brains. The current livestock list would also be helpful so that we may give an informed opinion on your specific case as well as equipment for mechanical and biological filtration.

Regards.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as a first time reef owner, color me impressed that you would solicit feedback from the forum and double check what your LFS is telling you :) Not every reefer learns that lesson, so you're definitely ahead of the game!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be helpful if you qualified your measurements... 190 gallons UK imperial or US? (I ask because you closed with "cheers" which suggests you may be in the UK). Metric dimensions go over my head so feet/inches would be more recognizable. Just a preference and makes it easier for our US brains. The current livestock list would also be helpful so that we may give an informed opinion on your specific case as well as equipment for mechanical and biological filtration.

Regards.

If it helps, his tank is about 7'x2'x2', which should be around 200 gallons, give or take a few.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can figure as well as anyone. I was making a suggestion to the original poster.

I'm sorry that you interpreted me trying to help as somehow insulting your ego/intelligence. That wasn't my intention. Anyway, back to helping the OP :)

OP
OP
Marsh980

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my current stock and current size in inches (number in brackets represent individual fish size, not combined)

2x Ocellaris Clowns (3)
2x Orange Firefish (3)
2x Purple Firefish (3)
1x Yellow Coris Wrasse (3)
1x Yellow Tail Tamarin Wrasse (2)
1x Blue Line Cleaner Wrasse (2)
2x Lineatus Wrasses (3)
1x Red Line Wrasse (4)
2x Spotted Leopard Wrasses (2)
1x Royal Gramma (3)
5x Blue Eye Lyretail Anthias (3)
1x Sulphur Watchman Goby (3)
1x Watchman Goby (4)
1x Flagtail Shrimp Goby (2)
1x Red Fin Lawnmower Blenny (3)
2x Scarlet Scooter Blenny
1x Flame Hawkfish (3)
1x Fox Face (4.5)
1x Blue Throat Trigger (4.5)
1x Marine Betta (4)
2x Pyramid Butterflyfish (4)

Inverts
1x Sand Sifting Starfish
5x Peppermint Shrimps
4x Skunk Cleaner Shrimps
1x Tiger Pistol Shrimp

Corals (mostly LPS)
Approx 20 Softies and LPS and 1 SPS
Auto dosing of Alk, Calc, Mag and 3 part liquid coral food and weekly target feeding of Reef Roids

Fish that i still want to get - The Tangs will be added last and all together and the Mandarin when my tank becomes more mature

2x Bellus Angels
1x Copperband Butterflyfish
1x Yellow Eyed Kole Tang
1x Purple Tang
1x Naso Tang
1x Spotted Mandarin

Filtration
Bubblemagus Filter Roller
Carbon Media Reactor
Bubblemagus G9 Skimmer
UV Steriliser
Chiller to stablise water temperature at around 26 degrees

Tank Temperament
Currently there are no issues with any of the fish or inverts. There is no fighting, aggression, threatening behaviour or signs of fear/stress. I wanted as peaceful a reef as possible, hence my stocking list.

Water parameters are checked twice a week.

10% weekly water changes are completed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marsh980

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can figure as well as anyone. I was making a suggestion to the original poster.

Sorry i forget this is an american forum. I should've thought about it when i was adding my 'u's into certain words and getting the red spelling line haha. dang Brits hey.

I see a member has already added feet and inches for you and all readers of this thread. Next time i'll add feet and inches. Cheers

Last edited:

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 180 is a decent sized tank, but I think it’s an overstocked tank if you’re planning on everything. Fortunately two of your tangs are going to be on the smaller size. I would reconsider the naso tang. Maybe only have two, or pick a smaller species.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously each tank is different, but as a general observation, you're a bit on the higher stocking end already. I would personally reconsider the naso or at least make sure you understand possible aggression issues as they get larger in smaller tanks. The safe bet would be to lean towards the smaller tangs.

I'll say this, I wouldn't say unequivocally that your tank could definitely take more fish and not run into aggression issues (as having a peaceful tank is important to you). I think if you add all the remaining fish you likely run the risk of running into issues- it will be hard to predict, but I would just tread cautiously. You're in the "amber(uk)/yellow(us)" phase of the stoplight.

Assuming all your wrasses haven't decimated your pod population (or you plan on dosing), the mandarin will likely not make much of a difference :)

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I think it goes without saying, but you might want to reconsider the advice you are receiving from either your LFS or that particular employee if they think your tank can handle "many many more" fish (assuming you shared your current stocking list with them).

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 inch per gallon has never been accurate not even for fresh water.
Lets look at a comparison... 8x 1inch fish vs 1x8 inch fish...either way it's 8 inches for fish...but the single 8 inch fish is 8x as long and 8x as wide and 8x as tall... meaning it's not 8x as much fish it's actually 512x as much fish load assuming everything else stays the same. People always seem to forget that a fish that is 2x as long is actually 8x as massive of a fish. So in this case 1x 8 inch fish results in 64x the load of having 8x1inch fish as that big fish isn't 8 times one of the little fish it's 512 times one little fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many years ago it was a suggestion but not a rule persay.
Allow room to swim and consider the potential growth and size of fish to determine number of occupants

Back