Stocking List 150 thoughts/tips

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 5'x2'x2' I am setting up here in the next few months. I am wanting to get everyone's opinion on the fish I am wanting to add. The tank will end up being a mixed reef with a 1.5" sand bed and HNSA aquascape with plenty of hiding spots. Maybe a little deeper sand bed in some spots for the wrasses.

The fish I'd add in order:
  1. Pair of Black Ice Clownfish
  2. Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (add all 3 together?)
  3. Yellow Wrasse (add all 3 together?)
  4. Melanurus Wrasse (add all 3 together?)
  5. Tomini Tang (add with Lavender Tang)
  6. Lavender Tang (add with Tomini Tang)
  7. Purple Tang (add last)
I also want more fish but cannot decide on which species. Any tips or recommendations are appreciated! Open to changes/plenty of time to decide and refine choices.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I just set up the same setup for the most part, same sand level, rock structure and size curious the bioload everybody suggested

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad you’ve done your research on Tangs and not like many people who put Sailfins, Blue Hippos, and Powder Blues / Powder Browns in smaller tanks than where they belong. It’s best to add all Tangs at the same time if possible, but if not I agree with adding the more peaceful ones first.
As for harems or pairs of wrasses, there is debate over whether it works out. I have seen it work, though not sure for how long, but there used to a member by the username evolved who is a wrasse guru, and he made it pretty clear that multiples of the same species all end up changing to male over time and there’s no guarantee that even if one changes to male, the other two will remain female. I’m not sure why that’s the case, but it’s probably something to consider. He suggests keeping singles of multiple species. I know, I know, I would opt to have pairs and trios of different wrasses every time over singles of different species if it could be done consistently and over years.
As for other fish, I would look into dwarf angels, if you can find two small ones or a large and a smaller one, maybe a pair of them. The easiest route would be getting two Tank Bred Coral Beauties from Biota, if you like the species, that is.
A smaller species of Genicanthus angel, or a Pyramid Butterfly would be another option.
Other than that, Gobies, Blennies, some Anthias (I’m personally not a fan of most Anthias), Hawkfish (depending on how much you love your inverts), Basslets, Marine Betta (Comet), less aggressive damsels of the genus Chrysiptera, Orchid Dottybacks, Cardinalfish, are all options.
You might also want to look into variety versus behaviors. Some people like having as many different kinds and species of fish as possible, others prefer fewer species but keeping as many of them as possible in multiples, which leads to pairing / harem behavior and maybe spawning. Personally I find the latter to be more interesting but many people like variety.
If you are okay with having another larger fish, you could fit a Foxface but that’s about the limit for larger fish in a 150 IMO.

OP
OP
Seek&Reef

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad you’ve done your research on Tangs and not like many people who put Sailfins, Blue Hippos, and Powder Blues / Powder Browns in smaller tanks than where they belong. It’s best to add all Tangs at the same time if possible, but if not I agree with adding the more peaceful ones first.
As for harems or pairs of wrasses, there is debate over whether it works out. I have seen it work, though not sure for how long, but there used to a member by the username evolved who is a wrasse guru, and he made it pretty clear that multiples of the same species all end up changing to male over time and there’s no guarantee that even if one changes to male, the other two will remain female. I’m not sure why that’s the case, but it’s probably something to consider. He suggests keeping singles of multiple species. I know, I know, I would opt to have pairs and trios of different wrasses every time over singles of different species if it could be done consistently and over years.
As for other fish, I would look into dwarf angels, if you can find two small ones or a large and a smaller one, maybe a pair of them. The easiest route would be getting two Tank Bred Coral Beauties from Biota, if you like the species, that is.
A smaller species of Genicanthus angel, or a Pyramid Butterfly would be another option.
Other than that, Gobies, Blennies, some Anthias (I’m personally not a fan of most Anthias), Hawkfish (depending on how much you love your inverts), Basslets, Marine Betta (Comet), less aggressive damsels of the genus Chrysiptera, Orchid Dottybacks, Cardinalfish, are all options.
You might also want to look into variety versus behaviors. Some people like having as many different kinds and species of fish as possible, others prefer fewer species but keeping as many of them as possible in multiples, which leads to pairing / harem behavior and maybe spawning. Personally I find the latter to be more interesting but many people like variety.
If you are okay with having another larger fish, you could fit a Foxface but that’s about the limit for larger fish in a 150 IMO.
I definitely wanted a Desjardin but obviously knew it wouldn't be good for it long term so I decided against it. Do you think those three tangs would typically be a good fit? I know each fish has its own personality obviously. I picked one of each family (cten, zebra, & acan).

The wrasses I planed on one of each of those, I don't know if you thought I meant 3 of each kind.

Do you think I could add a dwarf angel to this list without removing any other fish? Plus possibly a Foxface? I have no idea on bioload for a tank my size. I'll probably end up with 200lbs of rock. 15 of which being KP premium to seed. Also, don't want a super heavy bioload.

I'm definitely looking for variety minus the clown pair. I originally wanted a pair of clowns and a pair of mandarins. But as soon as I saw a Melanurus in person I knew I had to have one and knew better than to mix a Melanurus and mandarins.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to add all three wrasses together but I don’t think the ones you’ve picked are particularly bad. The three Tangs are a good choice IMO for a tank of this size. It’s good you have chosen one from each family as common wisdom has it that gives you the easiest time. You could totally add a dwarf angel, I don’t see any problems with it. It’s good you are scrapping the Mandarin as both Halichoeres will compete with it for pods and the Mandarins will likely lose.
Foxface, maybe, but if you do that it’s going to be your limit for larger fish IMO. I’d ask. Lavender is on the peaceful side for Acanthurus Tangs, Tominis are generally peaceful for Tangs, the Purple can get a bit more scrappy. I would probably just stick to the three Tangs and scrap the Foxface as you don’t want too much bioload.
Any other fish you’re looking at?

So far:
x2 Occy Clowns
x1 Lavender Tang
x1 Tomini Tang
x1 Purple Tang
x1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
x1 Melanurus Wrasse
x1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
x1 dwarf angel of some kind

Add a couple other smaller or medium sized fish and you’re about done.

OP
OP
Seek&Reef

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to add all three wrasses together but I don’t think the ones you’ve picked are particularly bad. The three Tangs are a good choice IMO for a tank of this size. It’s good you have chosen one from each family as common wisdom has it that gives you the easiest time. You could totally add a dwarf angel, I don’t see any problems with it. It’s good you are scrapping the Mandarin as both Halichoeres will compete with it for pods and the Mandarins will likely lose.
Foxface, maybe, but if you do that it’s going to be your limit for larger fish IMO. I’d ask. Lavender is on the peaceful side for Acanthurus Tangs, Tominis are generally peaceful for Tangs, the Purple can get a bit more scrappy. I would probably just stick to the three Tangs and scrap the Foxface as you don’t want too much bioload.
Any other fish you’re looking at?

So far:
x2 Occy Clowns
x1 Lavender Tang
x1 Tomini Tang
x1 Purple Tang
x1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
x1 Melanurus Wrasse
x1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
x1 dwarf angel of some kind

Add a couple other smaller or medium sized fish and you’re about done.
I think I've decided on either a pair of Watanabei Angels or just one. Thank you so much for your help!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back