Stocking list advice

CMarieDennison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched so many videos and read so many articles that I kind of got overloaded with info (a lot of it conflicting, of course). I figured I'd get some opinions here.
I have a 6 foot 125-gallon standard tank, with a 29-gallon sump. I'd like advice on stocking and maybe where Ya'll like to shop. I'd like captive bred wherever possible, or at lease sustainably sourced if I have to go wild caught. I don't want a predator tank, but I am open to semi aggressive fish since I think the 125 is big enough to give them room. I will have a screen over the top of my tank so that I can house some of those jumpers, and I am also looking at a mixed tank in the future (right now it's just softies) so reef friendly, please.

So far, all I have in here is a pair of clowns and a Scopus tang. Everywhere I've tried to shop is sold out of almost everything, so suggestions for looking around are definitely appreciated. Thank you for any advice!

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched so many videos and read so many articles that I kind of got overloaded with info (a lot of it conflicting, of course). I figured I'd get some opinions here.
I have a 6 foot 125-gallon standard tank, with a 29-gallon sump. I'd like advice on stocking and maybe where Ya'll like to shop. I'd like captive bred wherever possible, or at lease sustainably sourced if I have to go wild caught. I don't want a predator tank, but I am open to semi aggressive fish since I think the 125 is big enough to give them room. I will have a screen over the top of my tank so that I can house some of those jumpers, and I am also looking at a mixed tank in the future (right now it's just softies) so reef friendly, please.

So far, all I have in here is a pair of clowns and a Scopus tang. Everywhere I've tried to shop is sold out of almost everything, so suggestions for looking around are definitely appreciated. Thank you for any advice!
There are millions of ways you could structure a tank that size. Without ideas of what corals/fish/invertebrates you like, it is next to impossible for us to give advice unless we just tell you to do it according to personal opinions.

I'm building a tank of the same size with a 6'-125g sump, so I've done some research on similar-size setups, but need to know a direction you would like to head.

OP
OP
CMarieDennison

CMarieDennison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are millions of ways you could structure a tank that size. Without ideas of what corals/fish/invertebrates you like, it is next to impossible for us to give advice unless we just tell you to do it according to personal opinions.

I'm building a tank of the same size with a 6'-125g sump, so I've done some research on similar-size setups, but need to know a direction you would like to head.
I guess I can understand that, I was thinking that if I wasn't picky, it would be easier. There are just so many fish (I've watched probably hundreds of videos from BRS and marine depot and cultivated reef etc) and I don't even know where to start. I know what corals I want, but I guess I don't really have a preference on fish. I will..try to figure something out and get back here

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I can understand that, I was thinking that if I wasn't picky, it would be easier. There are just so many fish (I've watched probably hundreds of videos from BRS and marine depot and cultivated reef etc) and I don't even know where to start. I know what corals I want, but I guess I don't really have a preference on fish. I will..try to figure something out and get back here
I would start with local (or relatively local) LFS's and hobbyists and see what fish they have for sale.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can share what corals you want and an idea of your aquascape along with a few of your most favorite fish, we may be able to start giving advice towards a good stocking plan.

OP
OP
CMarieDennison

CMarieDennison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can share what corals you want and an idea of your aquascape along with a few of your most favorite fish, we maybe able to start giving advice towards a good stocking plan.
I know that I would like to have a slightly mixed tank; mostly softies for the low maintenance but I also really love the look of Montipora. I think of all corals, Montipora shelves captivate me :face-in-clouds: I also really like stylophora and porites corals. LPS that I might be interested in are fungia plates, hammers, frogspawn and grapes.
The other softies I have are the regular ol beginners; zoas, riccordea mushrooms and GSP.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I would like to have a slightly mixed tank; mostly softies for the low maintenance but I also really love the look of Montipora. I think of all corals, Montipora shelves captivate me :face-in-clouds: I also really like stylophora and porites corals. LPS that I might be interested in are fungia plates, hammers, frogspawn and grapes.
The other softies I have are the regular ol beginners; zoas, riccordea mushrooms and GSP.
This list of corals should allow for most any reef-safe fish as considerations.
Do you have any favorite fish?
What do you like better (or equally): fish or corals?
Which do you think you prefer in fish: colors, patterns, motion, interesting behaviors, interaction, utility, hardiness, cost, rarity/uniqueness (etc.)?

OP
OP
CMarieDennison

CMarieDennison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This list of corals should allow for most any reef-safe fish as considerations.
Do you have any favorite fish?
What do you like better (or equally): fish or corals?
Which do you think you prefer in fish: colors, patterns, motion, interesting behaviors, interaction, utility, hardiness, cost, rarity/uniqueness (etc.)?
I really don't have any favorite fish, maybe that's why this is so hard for me. I'm in love with the corals. I could probably not have a fully stocked tank when it comes to fish, I just know I need some to maintain the reef. I think I would prefer utility and maybe interesting behaviors. I am looking through fish now and the goby/shrimp pair is super cute to me, as well as the ones like the belnnys that hide and dart around. Also the dogface puffer is freakin adorable but apparently likes to eat inverts so there's that.

OP
OP
CMarieDennison

CMarieDennison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't have any favorite fish, maybe that's why this is so hard for me. I'm in love with the corals. I could probably not have a fully stocked tank when it comes to fish, I just know I need some to maintain the reef. I think I would prefer utility and maybe interesting behaviors. I am looking through fish now and the goby/shrimp pair is super cute to me, as well as the ones like the belnnys that hide and dart around. Also the dogface puffer is freakin adorable but apparently likes to eat inverts so there's that.
Now we're getting started.
Goby/shrimp pair would be a good consideration. There are several species to consider for both goby and shrimp for common and reasonably-priced options:
A few more-common Shrimp Gobies: Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby (Cryptocentrus leptocephalus), Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus), Orange Spotted Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata), Randall's Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli)
Common pistol shrimp: Tiger Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus bellulus), Randall’s Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus randalli), and others in the Alpheus family

Several blennies are great considerations, though you should probably only get one or two (maybe male/female pairs of same species if possible) as the blennies sometimes get aggressive with other blennies as well as with gobies. Blennies sometimes add utility in consuming algae, though they are probably not going to eliminate the need for invertebrates as well for algae control. Blennies add fun behavior and interaction to the system.
Algae blennies to consider: Sailfin/Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus), Bicolor Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor), Black Sailfin Blenny (Atrosalarias fuscus), Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura), Linear Blenny (Ecsenius lineatus), Two Spot Bimaculatus Blenny (Ecsenius bimaculatus), Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus)
Other blennies (some are venomous, such as from the Meiacanthus family, though not really a risk to the aquarist): Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas), Smith's Blenny (Meiacanthus smithii), Striped Blenny (Meiacanthus grammistes), Canary Blenny (Meiacanthus oualanensis), Green Canary Blenny (Meiacanthus tongaensis), Forktail Blenny (Meiacanthus atrodorsalis), Harptail Blenny (Meiacanthus mossambicus)

All puffers are likely out of the question in a mixed reef unless you are willing to take the risk on your corals (hopefully not expensive corals!). Some of the smaller species may work, but do your research quite in-depth before considering the inclusion of a pufferfish.

Adding the goby&shrimp and a blenny or two should be no trouble with your pair of clownfish and Scopas tang. This seems quite reasonable for your tank size and well-manageable.

You might also consider the addition of some of the following (though certainly not all):
1) For general algae utility but may be a risk to some corals, such as zoas:
1x Foxface Rabbitfish: One-spot (Siganus unimaculatus), Lo (Siganus vulpinus), bicolor (Siganus uspi)
or 1x Rabbitfish: Two Barred Rabbitfish (Siganus virgatus), Decorated Rabbitfish (Siganus puellus), Gold Spotted Rabbitfish (Siganus punctatus), Yellow Blotch Rabbitfish (Siganus guttatus)
2) For color and activity:
2-6x Cardinalfish of same species: Pajama Cardinalfish (Sphaeramia nematoptera), Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhinchus cyanosoma), Yellow Cardinalfish (Ostorinchus luteus), Threadfin Cardinalfish (Apogon leptacanthus)
and/or 2-6 Damselfish of same species (may be aggressive, especially with clownfish and other small fish): Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema), Blue Sapphire Damselfish (Chrysiptera cf. springeri), Pink Smith Damselfish (Pomacentrus smithi)
or 2-6 Anthias of same species (more expensive and harder to care for): Dispar Anthias (Pseudanthias dispar), Huchtii Anthias (Pseudanthias huchtii), Carberryi Anthias (Nemanthias carberryi), Ignitus Anthias (Pseudanthias ignitus)
3) For pest control and colors/activity:
1x Halichoeres wrasse( will prefer sandbed to hide in at night): Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus), Red-Lined Wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus), Adorned Wrasse (Halichoeres cosmetus), Green Wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus), Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus), Whitebelly Wrasse (Halichoeres leucoxanthus)
and/or 1x reef-safe wrasse: Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri), McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I've read has said that anthias are hard to care for :face-without-mouth:
I think this is generally true, but some species are quite a bit more hardy than others. The main thing they need is feeding more than once a day. Of course, I am talking very much in generalities here.

OP
OP
CMarieDennison

CMarieDennison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we're getting started.
Goby/shrimp pair would be a good consideration. There are several species to consider for both goby and shrimp for common and reasonably-priced options:
A few more-common Shrimp Gobies: Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby (Cryptocentrus leptocephalus), Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus), Orange Spotted Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata), Randall's Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli)
Common pistol shrimp: Tiger Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus bellulus), Randall’s Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus randalli), and others in the Alpheus family

Several blennies are great considerations, though you should probably only get one or two (maybe male/female pairs of same species if possible) as the blennies sometimes get aggressive with other blennies as well as with gobies. Blennies sometimes add utility in consuming algae, though they are probably not going to eliminate the need for invertebrates as well for algae control. Blennies add fun behavior and interaction to the system.
Algae blennies to consider: Sailfin/Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus), Bicolor Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor), Black Sailfin Blenny (Atrosalarias fuscus), Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura), Linear Blenny (Ecsenius lineatus), Two Spot Bimaculatus Blenny (Ecsenius bimaculatus), Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus)
Other blennies (some are venomous, such as from the Meiacanthus family, though not really a risk to the aquarist): Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas), Smith's Blenny (Meiacanthus smithii), Striped Blenny (Meiacanthus grammistes), Canary Blenny (Meiacanthus oualanensis), Green Canary Blenny (Meiacanthus tongaensis), Forktail Blenny (Meiacanthus atrodorsalis), Harptail Blenny (Meiacanthus mossambicus)

All puffers are likely out of the question in a mixed reef unless you are willing to take the risk on your corals (hopefully not expensive corals!). Some of the smaller species may work, but do your research quite in-depth before considering the inclusion of a pufferfish.

Adding the goby&shrimp and a blenny or two should be no trouble with your pair of clownfish and Scopas tang. This seems quite reasonable for your tank size and well-manageable.

You might also consider the addition of some of the following (though certainly not all):
1) For general algae utility but may be a risk to some corals, such as zoas:
1x Foxface Rabbitfish: One-spot (Siganus unimaculatus), Lo (Siganus vulpinus), bicolor (Siganus uspi)
or 1x Rabbitfish: Two Barred Rabbitfish (Siganus virgatus), Decorated Rabbitfish (Siganus puellus), Gold Spotted Rabbitfish (Siganus punctatus), Yellow Blotch Rabbitfish (Siganus guttatus)
2) For color and activity:
2-6x Cardinalfish of same species: Pajama Cardinalfish (Sphaeramia nematoptera), Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhinchus cyanosoma), Yellow Cardinalfish (Ostorinchus luteus), Threadfin Cardinalfish (Apogon leptacanthus)
and/or 2-6 Damselfish of same species (may be aggressive, especially with clownfish and other small fish): Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema), Blue Sapphire Damselfish (Chrysiptera cf. springeri), Pink Smith Damselfish (Pomacentrus smithi)
or 2-6 Anthias of same species (more expensive and harder to care for): Dispar Anthias (Pseudanthias dispar), Huchtii Anthias (Pseudanthias huchtii), Carberryi Anthias (Nemanthias carberryi), Ignitus Anthias (Pseudanthias ignitus)
3) For pest control and colors/activity:
1x Halichoeres wrasse( will prefer sandbed to hide in at night): Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus), Red-Lined Wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus), Adorned Wrasse (Halichoeres cosmetus), Green Wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus), Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus), Whitebelly Wrasse (Halichoeres leucoxanthus)
and/or 1x reef-safe wrasse: Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri), McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Thank you so much for this. I am reading that gobys need well established tanks or they'll wipe out my sandbed; would you advise me to wait another year or so for them?
I also read that anthias are hard to keep because they need to be fed multiple times a day. Has this ever been a problem for you? I work during the day, so it's not exactly feasible for me to feed 4-6 x per day.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for this. I am reading that gobys need well established tanks or they'll wipe out my sandbed; would you advise me to wait another year or so for them?
I also read that anthias are hard to keep because they need to be fed multiple times a day. Has this ever been a problem for you? I work during the day, so it's not exactly feasible for me to feed 4-6 x per day.
Common hardy gobies such as the ones I recommended above should do fine in a large tank like yours, as there will be plenty of microorganisms to stay ahead of the consumption rate of the gobies. Established tanks are better, but yours should be large enough to counterbalance this issue.

If you are concerned with caring for Anthias, just choose different fish that are more hardy. I have no real-life experience with Anthias yet, just research/reading about them as a consideration in my system.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back