Stocking list for 45g cube

GregH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all. Setting up a 45g Red Sea E-170 AIO cube + Vortech MP10. Substrate is CaribSea Life Rock & Arag-Alive sand + Fritz 900. In prep for the cycle, trying to finalize (ha!) my planned inhabitant list. Your thoughts on this mix?

Fish:
Ocellaris Clowns (two, paired)
Banggai Cardinals (two)
Orchid Dottyback
Black Cap Basslet
Pink Streaked Wrasse (tank is netted)
Yellow Goby + Pistol Shrimp
Lawnmower Tailspot Blenny (eventually)

CUC:
Cerith snails (5)
Trochus snails (5)
Nassarius snails (5)
Blue legged hermit crab (5)
Emerald crab
Peppermint shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
Serpent or Brittle starfish

Corals:
Zoanthids
Sinullaria
Toadstool
Xenia
Green Star Polyps
Euphyllia (Frogspawn/Hammer)
Bubble
Duncan
Candy Cane
+ maybe limited SPS wayyy down the road.

TIA,
Greg

Last edited:

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch the orchid dottyback for a royal gramma. Those dottybacks have nasty attitudes. I'd also get a smaller blenny than a lawnmower. Maybe a tail spot or flame tail. Lawnmowers get large as far as blennys go and they need a lot of grazing room.

Also, just trying to set you up for success... try and wait about 6 weeks after adding fish before adding corals to your first tank. Get some hardy ones like; leathers, zoas, trumpets, frogspawn, acans. Gives the tank time to mature a little more and ballance out, and those hardier corals can handle some swings. Slow and steady wins the race.

Congrats on the new tank!

Halo_003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch the orchid dottyback for a royal gramma. Those dottybacks have nasty attitudes. I'd also get a smaller blenny than a lawnmower. Maybe a tail spot or flame tail. Lawnmowers get large as far as blennys go and they need a lot of grazing room.

Also, just trying to set you up for success... try and wait about 6 weeks after adding fish before adding corals to your first tank. Get some hardy ones like; leathers, zoas, trumpets, frogspawn, acans. Gives the tank time to mature a little more and ballance out, and those hardier corals can handle some swings. Slow and steady wins the race.

Congrats on the new tank!

Yep on the orchid dottyback. Royal Gramma would be a good choice, or I’d also suggest a Black Cap Basslet if you like the all purple/pink color though.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree with swapping out the dottyback with a royal gramma. Also don't forget a pistol shrimp for your goby!

Spkarim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a royal gramma and it's great. Really nice color, doesn't bother the other fishes.

It started off shy, hiding in the rocks and coming out for food only.

It starting to come out more.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back