Stocking List Help Waterbox 130.4

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the final stages of finishing restocking my Waterbox 130.4 (4ft long 2ft wide) after a velvet outbreak back in March. Here is the current residence:
-Kole Tang
-Clown Fish Pair
-Coris Wrasse
-Melanarus Wrasse

I plan on adding the following:
-Yellow Tang
-Pintail Wrasse

I would like to finish my stocking with a few more wrasses (hopefully one with some red coloration). Also considering a rhomboid, lineatus, radiant, or naokos wrasse. How many more wrasses can I do with this stocking plan? Any recommendations?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people fill their tanks with wrasses but in my 112g I just stuck with 3 (plus a dragonette pair) because I'm nervous my copapod population will take a big hit.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kole tang should be fine in a tank that size. It is of the recommended minimum size for a yellow tang. Two tangs in that size of tank might be a problem but it should work.

Certain wrasses do not get along with each other. There are posts that list some of the bad combinations which you might check out.

You might think of other guilds also: cardinals, blennies, gobies, or dart fish. Many are small, peaceful and reef safe and add variety of form to a tank.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware of the wrasse compatibility chart. Thank for pointing it out. I like the activeness/personality the wrasses bring. Can the tank sustain more than 4 given the tangs and clowns?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the yellow tang. A yellow tang would be fine in a 120 as the only tang, but I wouldn't mix them in a 4' tank. Others may disagree.

Wrasses:
The radiant *might have a tough time with the melanurus and coris, but could work. I assume you have the yellow Halichoeres, and not one of the larger Coris genus wrasses.

You should be able to have several fairy wrasses in that size tank. The naoko is the only one I'd question, since they are rumored to be a little more aggressive. I don't have experience with that one, but @OrionN and @evolved would know.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the final stages of finishing restocking my Waterbox 130.4 (4ft long 2ft wide) after a velvet outbreak back in March. Here is the current residence:
-Kole Tang
-Clown Fish Pair
-Coris Wrasse
-Melanarus Wrasse

I plan on adding the following:
-Yellow Tang
-Pintail Wrasse

I would like to finish my stocking with a few more wrasses (hopefully one with some red coloration). Also considering a rhomboid, lineatus, radiant, or naokos wrasse. How many more wrasses can I do with this stocking plan? Any recommendations?
The Naoko really going to give the PinTail a hard time. Your tank is not large enough and not having enough Fairy Wrasse to distract he Naoko. Naoko is an extremely striking wrasse but likely to be aggressive in a 120 gal tank.
Instead of the Naoko, may I sugggest a Diamond Tail Flasher and/or a Eightline Flasher.
My Naoko
NaokoFairy2019092401watermarked.jpg

Eight line Flasher
EightlineFlasher2019061603POTMContest.jpg

Diamond Tail Flasher
P attenuatus2020070401.jpg

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @OrionN! I didn't even realize the Naoko would go after other fairys. Doesn't sound like it would be a good fit. Given the stocking list, how many wrasses in total could I get in the tank?

Any experience with the radiant wrasses (seems like most issues I have seen are shipping related)?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to have several fairy wrasses in that size tank. The naoko is the only one I'd question, since they are rumored to be a little more aggressive. I don't have experience with that one, but @OrionN and @evolved would know.
Agree - skip the naoko. Too risky.
Given the stocking list, how many wrasses in total could I get in the tank?
It's much more about the ones you pick, rather than a set number/.
Any experience with the radiant wrasses (seems like most issues I have seen are shipping related)?
If you can find one locally in good condition, that's your best bet. Definitely some elevated risk in shipping that species, but it can work.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back