stocking my first 75 gallon tank

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted advice on my stocking ideas for my 75 gallon that i plan to move into a 90 gallon within the next ~12 months
x1 Kole Tang, x1 Onespot Foxface, x1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse, x3 Chalk Bass(or blackcap basslets i haven't decided yet), x3 Bangaii Cardinalfish(not sure if i want these or another group of small shoaling fish), x2 Clownfish, and x1 Wheelers shrimp goby that i plan to hopefully pair with a pistol shrimp
I also wanted to know if anyone had any successful experiences with either a golden dwarf moray or snowflake in a reef tank?

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after i had all this planned i became insanely interested in dwarf angels and anthias so i might make a few changes to fit one of those
edit:did research disregard both of these

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a golden dwarf, he was great! Until he somehow got out of the 60 gal screen top...now I have a snowflake in my 75 gal glass top, he seems happy
did you have him around smaller fish? and if so, how did he act around them? did you have a problem with him eating smaller fish?

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you have him around smaller fish? and if so, how did he act around them? did you have a problem with him eating smaller fish?

The smallest he was with were a couple clowns about an 1-1 1/2”. Never saw him mess with anyone. He was full size too, 12”. He would give my yellow tang a nudge if the tang ever got too close, but that was it.

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smallest he was with were a couple clowns about an 1-1 1/2”. Never saw him mess with anyone. He was full size too, 12”. He would give my yellow tang a nudge if the tang ever got too close, but that was it.
oh wow thats very good to know I definitely think hes going in my tank now
do you suggest adding him last after i add everyone else or add him together with everyone at the same time?

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow thats very good to know I definitely think hes going in my tank now
do you suggest adding him last after i add everyone else or add him together with everyone at the same time?

Hmmm that’s a good question. I added mine to an already established system and he was fine. But thinking about it maybe add him first so he can find his spot he likes. Buuuuut, I also just noticed your list has pistol shrimp. I had peppermints with mine and they were good. But since the goby and shrimp have a relationship maybe they should be added first then eel. I feel like the eel might be more likely to go after the shrimp if it comes into the eel’s territory. Sorry that answer isn’t very helpful!

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion The best person for eels and predators is @lion king and I’m sure knows the right way for introductory sequence
Hmmm that’s a good question. I added mine to an already established system and he was fine. But thinking about it maybe add him first so he can find his spot he likes. Buuuuut, I also just noticed your list has pistol shrimp. I had peppermints with mine and they were good. But since the goby and shrimp have a relationship maybe they should be added first then eel. I feel like the eel might be more likely to go after the shrimp if it comes into the eel’s territory. Sorry that answer isn’t very helpful!
haha thank you I'll dm him I guess? also its fine! I appreciate the help a lot it pretty much solidified my decision on getting one

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted advice on my stocking ideas for my 75 gallon that i plan to move into a 90 gallon within the next ~12 months
x1 Kole Tang, x1 Onespot Foxface, x1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse, x3 Chalk Bass(or blackcap basslets i haven't decided yet), x3 Bangaii Cardinalfish(not sure if i want these or another group of small shoaling fish), x2 Clownfish, and x1 Wheelers shrimp goby that i plan to hopefully pair with a pistol shrimp
I also wanted to know if anyone had any successful experiences with either a golden dwarf moray or snowflake in a reef tank?

Not sure if 3 Chalk Bass would work in a tank of that size. I know that black cap basslets definitely wouldn't work as they can be aggressive (especially to each other). The thing to remember is that precious few saltwater fish will school or schoal in captivity. A pair or Trio of Zebra Barred Dartfish might be the way to go.

As for the 75 gallon to 90 gallon upgrade, it's kind of a waste IMHO. All you gain is 3 inches in height and more of a pain for cleaning (take it from someone who owns one). I would either just stick with the 75 or go up to a 120 as in addition to the height, you gain 6 inches of width which provides more useable space for the fish and makes things easier. A tank transfer/upgrade is alot more of a pain and hassle then it sounds, so you want to make sure the upgrade is significant enough to make it worth it and upgrading for 3 inches in height is definitely not worth it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both eels you are interested in are usually very safe around fish. As far as introducing them into your display tank, it's best to have them acclimated to captive living, meaning eating dead food before tempting them with something live they may be able to eat. The dwarf is pretty small thing, while fish is in his natural diet, the fish would have to be pretty small, the wheelers goby could be on the menu but the others you mention would likely be too large. While the snowflake is a pebble tooth, his diet is mainly crustaceans, he would not pass up the opportunity for an easy meal. While not normally a fish eater, a medium or larger sized snowflake, right from the ocean could cause threat to the wheelers, chalk, and cardinals or similar.

Introducing fish after the eel could indicate to the eel that it is food, so you have to be careful there; introducing the eel last if not fully acclimated to captive living, could prove tricky as well. Size, size, size; size appropriate meaning fish too large for the eel to take down. It is best to get an eel on a feeding regime of dead food before introducing to be safe, and starting with a smaller size eel. The snowflake does get to a size that could threaten any of the afore mentioned fish at any time. Eels are best to keep on a very reliable feeding schedule, if it's every 3 days, make sure you make it every 3 days; or he just might go hunting.

Sorry foe rambling I hope you get the just of post, a little scattered this evening.

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both eels you are interested in are usually very safe around fish. As far as introducing them into your display tank, it's best to have them acclimated to captive living, meaning eating dead food before tempting them with something live they may be able to eat. The dwarf is pretty small thing, while fish is in his natural diet, the fish would have to be pretty small, the wheelers goby could be on the menu but the others you mention would likely be too large. While the snowflake is a pebble tooth, his diet is mainly crustaceans, he would not pass up the opportunity for an easy meal. While not normally a fish eater, a medium or larger sized snowflake, right from the ocean could cause threat to the wheelers, chalk, and cardinals or similar.

Introducing fish after the eel could indicate to the eel that it is food, so you have to be careful there; introducing the eel last if not fully acclimated to captive living, could prove tricky as well. Size, size, size; size appropriate meaning fish too large for the eel to take down. It is best to get an eel on a feeding regime of dead food before introducing to be safe, and starting with a smaller size eel. The snowflake does get to a size that could threaten any of the afore mentioned fish at any time. Eels are best to keep on a very reliable feeding schedule, if it's every 3 days, make sure you make it every 3 days; or he just might go hunting.

Sorry foe rambling I hope you get the just of post, a little scattered this evening.
That was incredibly helpful thank you! I'll more than likely go for the dwarf just to reduce the chance of any accidents

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if 3 Chalk Bass would work in a tank of that size. I know that black cap basslets definitely wouldn't work as they can be aggressive (especially to each other). The thing to remember is that precious few saltwater fish will school or schoal in captivity. A pair or Trio of Zebra Barred Dartfish might be the way to go.

As for the 75 gallon to 90 gallon upgrade, it's kind of a waste IMHO. All you gain is 3 inches in height and more of a pain for cleaning (take it from someone who owns one). I would either just stick with the 75 or go up to a 120 as in addition to the height, you gain 6 inches of width which provides more useable space for the fish and makes things easier. A tank transfer/upgrade is alot more of a pain and hassle then it sounds, so you want to make sure the upgrade is significant enough to make it worth it and upgrading for 3 inches in height is definitely not worth it.
ah okay i was definitely looking at going to a 125 and using the 75 as a smaller display somewhere else thanks for the heads up on the dimensions

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, the standard dimensions are as follows

75 gallon=4 feet long, 18 inches wide, 21 inches high
90 gallon=4 feet long, 18 inches wide, 24 inches high
120 gallon=4 feet long, 24 inches wide, 24 inches high
125 gallon=6 feet long, 18 inches wide, 21 inches high

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, the standard dimensions are as follows

75 gallon=4 feet long, 18 inches wide, 21 inches high
90 gallon=4 feet long, 18 inches wide, 24 inches high
120 gallon=4 feet long, 24 inches wide, 24 inches high
125 gallon=6 feet long, 18 inches wide, 21 inches high
oh definitely gonna go for the 125 thatll fit perfectly on the front wall of my room

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back