Stocking new set up

canisterreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new set up - 35g. Its canister filter run (huge oase biomaster) with a bubble magnus qq1 and lots of live rock. It’s been running for 3 month. Have two red sea led lights and an ato and two Nero 3 wavemakers running. Testing with Hanna kits and so far all is going well I think (cal 445, alk 8.9, phos 0.02, nitrate 0.1, salinity 1.025, PH 8.4, mag 1390). I’m cleaning pre filters on canister weekly and doing 10% water changes. Minimal diatoms throughout.
Added trochus and nerite snails with 5 hermits and 3 cleaner shrimp few weeks ago and all doing well. Added Midas blenny, fire fish and two neon blennys a week ago and all feeding well and seem very settled. Used colony bacteria dosing when adding livestock. Since adding fish my nitrates went up but I expected that with the feeding and poop. All seems stable and testing weekly.
I appreciate it’s a small tank but it’s my first marine after keeping trops for years.
Starting small and hope to build up and covert my large trop tank if I am successful with this smaller tank
I am picking up a pair of onyx snow clowns this weekend but would also like to add a watchman Goby and pistol shrimp.
Also have my first soft corals coming next week - six zoas, one clove, one Kenya tree, a GSP (going on back glass I hope), two mushrooms and a sympodium.
Is this an ok stocking level for my 35g?
If yes, is this my max stocking?
Or any other suggestions on set up and plans welcomed.
In my large planted trop I am overstocked but I’m a maintenance junkie so keep that at 10ppm nitrate without issues so wonder if same principle can be applied with marine?
Thanks in advance

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it sounds like a good plan, I would call that a fully stocked tank.

Fully stocked does not only mean in terms of bioload. In saltwater, fishes are very territorial compared to freshwater fishes, each fish needs his own little rock or cave, or it can lead to fighting or death, or disease from stress.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back