Stocking order after velvet outbreak

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m soon to be at 70 days fallow after a velvet outbreak. I have four surviving fish (yellow coris, lawnmower, red velvet fairy wrasse and a coral beauty) that made it through 35 days of copper and now another 35 days in observation and are in a QT tank together. I also have a Biota yellow tang that was in observation and grow out in another tank QT tank #2 when the velvet hit. This YT was the size of a quarter when I got it and it has grown nicely and doing well its own tank. I also have a 3rd QT tank with a few new fish that are going through QT protocol at this time currently a week into copper. The new fish are; Copperband Butterfly, Belle Sleeper Goby x2 (pair), and a pair of clowns.

My question is mostly about the new CBB (iit’s eating well and doing great). I’m trying to decide if I should delay the introduction of the YT into the DT even though he will be clear for the DT next week and wait another month or so? Then let CBB finish QT and introduce it i the DT a few days before the YT? Or should I be ok YT first and CBB a month later?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the Copperband compared with the Yellow tang? Smaller juvenile fishes generally are less aggressive ime but individual behavior can vary tremendously in all fishes and sizes.

If they are eating well in QT I think you have less to worry about overall.

Also, what is the relative size of your coral beauty to the CB & YT? Has it been aggressive in the past?

I’m not an expert in these particular fishes but I’ve do think your question could be better answered with the additional information that you have available.

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CBB and YT are very similar in size now but I’m guessing the CBB is most likely more mature and older. The YT was quarter size the end of May but has grown a lot.

The Coral Beauty I’m not worried about I will be rehoming it prior to any fish in DT. Not because of aggression mostly because I’ve added a lot of coral during my fallow period for the velvet.

All the fish in all three QT tanks eat like pigs.
Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back