Stocking Suggestion

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

So after having some really bad velvet (and some ich, you can see my previous post before)

I am almost done with the empty tank period. During this time I have kept the remaining fish in the QT tank with copper for 4 weeks and then dosed prazi for another week. Since my tank was empty I kept wondering what fish to add once the tank is good to go and since I have 3 more weeks left I want to make a list of what would be an appropriate amount of fish.

The tank is 130-140 display and 70 gallon sump but its filled up to be a 40. The tank is 4ft long by 2 ft wide. I have a skimmer rated for 250 gallons as well as several macro algaes in the sump.

The current fish that survived are the following:

Fox face 4+ inches (boss of the tank very dominant to fish who get in his way)

4x Chromis

Cardinal

Clinger fish

Yash and Hi Fin Goby

Pink spotted watchman

x2 Redhead gobies.

Now the fish that I am thinking about adding:

Blue Tang (1 inch or 1.5)

Desjardini (small)

Copperband or raccoon

Filefish

Longnose and Flame hawk

Reef safe trigger

African midas (will 100% be in the tank)

4-5 baby clownfish

Warpaint, black and citron goby

Zebra darfish (maybe a pair but they usually are ***** to each other)

Splendid dotty back (will add later once other fish are settled)

Yellow Corris, leopard, and Christmas wrasse

x2 target mandarin

So I am obviously not going to add all of these to the tank. I plan on adding some of them but I am curious what the best combinations would be. My biggest concern would be for my Maxima clam. Its a large 5 inch clam but I've heard that sometimes butterflies will pick on them. I plan to get everything as small as possible and QT everything. So any suggestions would be appreciated or maybe some alternatives would also be welcomed.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume your tank must be tall to achieve 130-140 gallons in a 4’ x 2’ footprint? (mine is 160 gallons in a 6’ x 2’ x 2’ footprint). Other than the tang the list looks fine (you’ll probably be ok short-term with the tang, but it may need more lengthwise swimming area at some point).

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume your tank must be tall to achieve 130-140 gallons in a 4’ x 2’ footprint? (mine is 160 gallons in a 6’ x 2’ x 2’ footprint). Other than the tang the list looks fine (you’ll probably be ok short-term with the tang, but it may need more lengthwise swimming area at some point).
It's actually like 50 by 27 but those numbers look odd so I just rounded down.

The blue tang would probably be moved out when it gets around the 3 inch mark just like I have done with other blues. My biggest question would be how many of those fish can I actually add. Most of my tanks have had less fish and more corals but now I want to add more fish since my tank is already full of corals. I've always found the "one inch person gallon" thing to be somewhat unhelpful, but I guess it's all down to the personality of the fish.

How many fish did you have?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them. If you have the proper filtration you should be fine. I have 22 fish in my tank at present, including a very fat 6” quoy parrotfish, a 3.5” sailfin tang, 4” melanarus wrasse and a 4” marine betta.

You won’t be adding them all at the same time anyway, so you can always revise your list as you go.

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them. If you have the proper filtration you should be fine. I have 22 fish in my tank at present, including a very fat 6” quoy parrotfish, a 3.5” sailfin tang, 4” melanarus wrasse and a 4” marine betta.

You won’t be adding them all at the same time anyway, so you can always revise your list as you go.
Yea that is a good point. I did purposely get a larger skimmer in case I wanted more fish. I'll have to keep planning it out

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter roller and good skimmer lets you keep a lot of fish! Then u can always add a refugium... then carbon... then gfo... then bio pellets or dose carbon....lol... i say fill her up with fish! Looks cool, corals like it :)

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter roller and good skimmer lets you keep a lot of fish! Then u can always add a refugium... then carbon... then gfo... then bio pellets or dose carbon....lol... i say fill her up with fish! Looks cool, corals like it :)
I actually am thinking of adding a filter roller. I recently saw one in person and the tank had some 50-60 fish in the tank and it was crystal clear. I do run GFO as well, love that product

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sump will work with it, i really like the Klir's. Works fabulously. Enclosed so no smell.

But wont work with some sumps. Water level in my fiji sump has to be pretty high or water will blow through paper.

If you want high end, go royal exclusive or deltec.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back