Stocking time (again)

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I'm setting up a new 80g mixed reef tank and it's finished it's cycle so it's stocking time!! (Again) I have a rough idea but I just want some opinions and other ideas. For fish:

Algae/pest control
One spot foxface
Lawnmower blenny
6line wrasse (may be to aggresive so can be changed)

Feature fish
Naoko fairy wrasse
Engineer goby
Flame hawkfish
2 pairs of clowns (Designer breeds)
Coral beauty Angelfish
Double band Surgeonfish (Luitenant Tang)

I know the doubleband min tank size is 100g but there such a nice looking fish I may as well try. I will also be running this tank bare bottom for the time being so the wrasses might not be an option
If any suggestions let me know thanks

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks overstocked to me. But that's assuming you plan on putting all these in and not selecting the best from your list - so apologies if I misunderstood. I'm sure you'll be adding a few and letting things stabilize and add a few more due to tank size. Start with least aggressive and least territorial first.

But I think you'll find your system getting maxed out on bio-load (nitrates/phosphates being hard to manage) or aggression issues before this list is complete.

That Surgeonfish is a large fish (If I have the species right) - it might be pretty but it won't be healthy or happy (especially with highly populated tank) at full size. You'll need plans to deal with that.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank?

The lieutenant tang won't be a good choice.
Six line wrasses really are best as the only wrasse.
One pair of clowns is usually best practice.

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank?

The lieutenant tang won't be a good choice.
Six line wrasses really are best as the only wrasse.
One pair of clowns is usually best practice.
Thanks for the advice!
The tank is a Red Sea XL300 so it's 3' long by 2' wide and 1.9' tall.

With clowns I've found that there is more aggression if there is only a pair then in a group, and I think it also looks great.

Can you suggest another fish that isn't as aggresive as the 6line but does the same job?

With the doubleband tang, I don't want to cause stress to it so I'll stick to smaller tangs (kole).

And yes quietman, this is a possible list of fish that I will gradually introduce over time.

Thanks guys for the help

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice!
You're welcome!

The tank is a Red Sea XL300 so it's 3' long by 2' wide and 1.9' tall.

With the doubleband tang, I don't want to cause stress to it so I'll stick to smaller tangs (kole).
I don't like any tangs or foxfaces/rabbits for a 3 x 2 tank. Ctenochaetus, like the kole, would be the better choice, but I still don't think it's enough room. And it will fight with the lawnmower blenny.

A dwarf angel would be a better substitute for a 'bigger' fish.

Can you suggest another fish that isn't as aggresive as the 6line but does the same job?

Halichoeres crysus, if you have sand, but it looks like you want to be bare. 6 line would actually fit it fine, as long as you don't get other wrasses. The clowns, blenny, hawk, dwarf angel can all handle themselves.

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow wrasse was also one of the fish I was considering on the potential stock list but they need sand as you said, so they were ruled off. Sometime in the future I might add sand but I'm going to run bare bottom.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to think about the Engineer Goby they do need sand bottom to make burrows. Got my at 1 1/2" and about a foot now

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I'm setting up a new 80g mixed reef tank and it's finished it's cycle so it's stocking time!! (Again) I have a rough idea but I just want some opinions and other ideas. For fish:

Algae/pest control
One spot foxface
Lawnmower blenny
6line wrasse (may be to aggresive so can be changed)

Feature fish
Naoko fairy wrasse
Engineer goby
Flame hawkfish
2 pairs of clowns (Designer breeds)
Coral beauty Angelfish
Double band Surgeonfish (Luitenant Tang)

I know the doubleband min tank size is 100g but there such a nice looking fish I may as well try. I will also be running this tank bare bottom for the time being so the wrasses might not be an option
If any suggestions let me know thanks
Not sure about that foxface and luitenant tang- will eventually get too big

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the tang, is it possible to keep a pair of coral beauty angelfish in a tank my size. I know some people who keep a pair of lemon peel angels successfuly in a 100g. Thoughts?

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also guys,
I just got back from a holiday (from Sydney to Sydney) and have come back to my seahorse tank where you can't even see the seahorses it's so green. I know it's green water (or phytoplankton) and moved them into the RS for the time being. Any thoughts on anything that will clear it up apart from a UV sterilizer because it's only a 20g with no sump. I put decapsulated brine shrimp eggs in and have initiated a blackout to keep it under control. Any idea would be useful.
Thanks

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the tang, is it possible to keep a pair of coral beauty angelfish in a tank my size. I know some people who keep a pair of lemon peel angels successfuly in a 100g. Thoughts?
Pairs, or even a 'harem' of 3, are possible with dwarf angels. I haven't done it. @OrionN , corals beauties can do this, right? He'll know.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back